Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trickle Charger for 997.1

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 09:40 AM
Blaine 997
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought a Battery Tender Plus, the longest plug wire, and a new battery for my 1963 Chevy Impala in 2005. I only used the car occasionally and that car battery was still going strong in 2016 when I sold it. I put the plug on my 997.1’s battery when I got it late November ‘16 and Use it for winter storage. I ran the wire through the frunk and keep the hood latched but not closed. I used a screw driver driver to flip the hood latch so the frunk light goes off. The battery tender is wall mounted in a stainless steel basket to keep it out of the way. I move the car every 2 week (pushing it around) so the tires don’t flat spot, and the extra long plug allows me to do that without unplugging the car.
The following users liked this post:
funkanimus (10-06-2019)
Old 01-22-2018, 04:18 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I got a CTEK MUS 7002 plus the (non-indicator-type) cig plug from etrailer.com (no affiliation, they just had the best price I found), seems great. I got that model because it's top of CTEK's consumer line and has a "supply" mode whereby you can disconnect the battery for whatever and not have to do the window reset after.
Old 02-04-2018, 11:46 AM
Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Racetwin2
Yes! No issues. The quick connector has a small rubber cap so there is no water coming in when it's not used
Okay, so I got the Ctek and the charge indicator plug. I liked your installation a lot, being able to see the battery health from windshield, easy accessibility for plugging in, weather tight.

After doing some OCD triple checking on locations to mount indicator, there's a little 'well' at the driver's side windshield wiper that created a space large enough to be filled by the indicator plug. I mounted my indicator there, routed the wires under the plastic shield, then to the battery. (Had to cut and splice/solder the wires.) Used a black zip tie to pull it snug. So far, loving it. Hood closes fine, plug is under shade so visible as heck, not in my way, and plugging in couldn't be easier. Thanks so much for the idea!
Wire routing hole.

Drilled for zip tie, pulled snug, installed weather proof cap (comes with indicator).

Needing a charge!

Getting a charge. All's well.
Old 02-04-2018, 01:46 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Nice Work!
Old 02-06-2018, 03:19 PM
Thefinn
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can extend the cable to the quick connector on the ctek and hide it under the cap on the scuttle so you don't have to leave the frunk open, the cable just runs underneath.
TerrestrialFlyte (08-05-2021)
Old 02-06-2018, 07:49 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Blaine 997

I bought a Battery Tender Plus, the longest plug wire, and a new battery for my 1963 Chevy Impala in 2005. I only used the car occasionally and that car battery was still going strong in 2016 when I sold it. I put the plug on my 997.1’s battery when I got it late November ‘16 and Use it for winter storage. I ran the wire through the frunk and keep the hood latched but not closed. I used a screw driver driver to flip the hood latch so the frunk light goes off. The battery tender is wall mounted in a stainless steel basket to keep it out of the way. I move the car every 2 week (pushing it around) so the tires don’t flat spot, and the extra long plug allows me to do that without unplugging the car.
Nice setup...BTW, no need to use the screwdriver to flip the hood latch - load swich-off feature shuts the light off after about 2 hours. From the manual:
Load switch-off after 2 hours - If the ignition key is removed, loads which are switched on or are in standby mode (such as the luggage compartment light, interior light and radio) are automatically switched off after approx. 2 hours.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:10 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,967 Likes on 2,045 Posts

Had the Porsche version on our Boxster. Had a Battery Tender brand one that had the BMW logo on it which I used on my 335 and my S4. On the 911, I bought the CTEK Multi US 3300 and have been happy with it. Also got the cigarette lighter adapter which works well and is currently how I am using it. My friend uses that one on his 997 turbo and another friend uses this one on his M5.
Old 02-09-2018, 03:03 AM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

To those of you using the cigarette lighter to maintain the battery, how much do you lower your window to run the cable.

The reason why I'm asking is due to the window seal motor when you shut the door.

Is it only activated when the window is fully up? I'm assuming cracking the window just enough to feed the wire through should be good enough, correct?

I have the Battery Tender Jr on my cars and bikes so I'm just waiting for the cigarette adapter to ship.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:09 AM
ronvanr
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't run the cord through the window, I drape it across the the lower door sill. So far no problems, does not leave a mark on the lower door trim. My car is outside, no garage, so I have to keep the window up.

Last edited by ronvanr; 02-09-2018 at 03:19 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-09-2018, 01:35 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ronvanr
I don't run the cord through the window, I drape it across the the lower door seal. So far no problems, does not leave a mark on the lower door trim. My car is outside, no garage, so I have to keep the window up.
Across the door sill area or through the front/rear? By any chance, can you post up picture of your setup? I'm assuming you kink the cord to contour the bends of the kick panel. The cord is thin enough to not make an impression on the weather seal.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:26 AM
ronvanr
Racer

Originally Posted by DesmoSD
Across the door sill area or through the front/rear? By any chance, can you post up picture of your setup? I'm assuming you kink the cord to contour the bends of the kick panel. The cord is thin enough to not make an impression on the weather seal.
You want to see pictures of my car? Thats like asking a new mom if you want to see pictures of her kid! Here they are. By the way, why does my Porsche charger have a motorcycle mode?

Old 02-10-2018, 02:06 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

You want to see pictures of my car? Thats like asking a new mom if you want to see pictures of her kid! Here they are. By the way, why does my Porsche charger have a motorcycle mode?

Haha! Nice, thank you! This helps a lot. So you can fully close the door w/out any issues?

My cigarette adapter came in so I'll try this out. I'd rather keep my window closed in the garage too.

Your charger can charge all types of batteries. The motorcycle mode reduces it to 800mA.
Old 02-10-2018, 02:32 PM
ronvanr
Racer

I've been doing it this way the last year and a half- No problems. There is no difference in feel when you shut the door. The Porsche charger is cigarette charge only, no adapter or options on my charger. So I put it into the cigarette lighter. I've never checked to see if I could use the plug in the passenger side foot well?
Old 02-10-2018, 03:59 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

I've been doing it this way the last year and a half- No problems. There is no difference in feel when you shut the door. The Porsche charger is cigarette charge only, no adapter or options on my charger. So I put it into the cigarette lighter. I've never checked to see if I could use the plug in the passenger side foot well?
That's great! I think it'll automatically detect if it's a smaller battery.

#edit

Very awesome, thank you for the tip! I just test fitted mine and it closes fine.

Last edited by DesmoSD; 02-10-2018 at 05:04 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:06 PM
Ohio Performance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 189 Likes on 77 Posts

Thanks for all of the ideas in this thread! I have a CTEK MUS 4.3 and i added the indicator pigtail. I routed it up to the cowel on the passenger side and made a little cut so i can tuck it away when not in use.

2007 C4S F77 Aerokit / 2004 E46 M3 / 2018 M3 comp

TerrestrialFlyte (08-05-2021)

Quick Reply: Trickle Charger for 997.1