Sponsored by:

Best Recommendations for Washing/Waxing over Xpel Film

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 11:50 AM
North Shore 911
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 198 Posts
Default Best Recommendations for Washing/Waxing over Xpel Film

Looking for your best recommendations for washing & waxing over Xpel film on your 997's.... I had a full front-end respray and Xpel film application on my 2010 4S Cab a few months ago, and I'm looking for the best products you guys have used To wash and maintain it. Xpel seems to flog their sealant, but have you guys found that necessary?

And since I only wrapped the front, do I have to use different products on my doors & rear quarters? Thanks for any help on this
Old 09-09-2017, 12:49 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

I have it on the hood and front fenders of my BMW and 993. I have been using Plexus for years and it seems to work well. Easy wipe on/off.
Old 09-09-2017, 04:13 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by North Shore 911
Looking for your best recommendations for washing & waxing over Xpel film on your 997's.... I had a full front-end respray and Xpel film application on my 2010 4S Cab a few months ago, and I'm looking for the best products you guys have used To wash and maintain it. Xpel seems to flog their sealant, but have you guys found that necessary?

And since I only wrapped the front, do I have to use different products on my doors & rear quarters? Thanks for any help on this
you had this done a A&L right? Did you ask Tony?
Old 09-09-2017, 05:55 PM
North Shore 911
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
you had this done a A&L right? Did you ask Tony?
Yup, Val at A&L (Tony's nephew) did the respray and Xpel, while Ivan at Lustr did the rear-end paint correction. In fact, A&L's work was so good that I had ny 2012 Cayenne S that my 20-year son crashed last month towed over there to get all my insurance work done. Their suggestion for washing and manintenence of Expel and the rear-end paint work was:

1. Hand washes only with proper wash mitts (sheepskin is usually the best, or a very good microfiber mitt) and either blow drying or very soft microfiber towels. Any automatics or bad hand washes will cause swirl marks on the sensitive gloss black paint
2. Nothing special except for regular sealant/wax, but I recommend staying away from any paste products as they will more than likely leave residue along the edges of the film. Spray sealant works great for PPF.

No suggestions for any specific products though, so I'm hoping to dip into the collective wisdom of this crowd for any particularly strong suggestions.....
Old 09-09-2017, 06:59 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,967 Likes on 2,045 Posts

Adams Polishes Shampoo is what I use, and then use a Microfiber Madness mit, seems to be the best. That can be used on the entire car. For sealant, you can use Carpro Reload, which works well, or you could use Menzerna Powerlock. All of these products you could get from Detailersdomain or Carpro. Any other questions let me know.
Old 09-09-2017, 07:41 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

you can wash the film, or any film with any car wash. You can use cleaners like simple green. Nothing hurts it. Ive rubbed off stains with body prep, and even enamel reducer. I usually keep a coat of wax on the bumper, the hood makes it look alittle glossy so I dont do the hood. (I have matte paint and film) Any kind of wax is ok, I use meguires 26 carnuba because thats all I have
Old 09-09-2017, 09:26 PM
too tall
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Griot's Garage quick detailer.

Trending Topics

Old 09-11-2017, 08:26 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 708 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by North Shore 911

you can totally keep it simple.

wash using a mild soap, we use p21s Bodywork Shampoo. Then simply maintain with a product like CarPro Reload, it's a nano spray sealant that's easy to use and adds a tremendous level of protection and shine. That's it.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:47 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

https://www.canadacarcare.ca/products/norinsem1

Optimum No Rinse and Shine. I use this for exterior paint, interior plastics, to windows and mirrors. Replaced a lot of bottles on my shelf with just this one product. Can be used as a car wash, instant detailer, clay lube....just need to follow their mixing instructions.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:55 AM
XPEL
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts

Hello all,

A lot of suggestions here and just wanted to clear the air. You can use any quick detailer or wax on our film as long as it does not contain a petroleum distillate, kerosine, or naphtha. These ingredients will damage the film. We sell our own Flawless Finish Film Sealant made specifically for paint protection film. You can use it on the unprotected surfaces as well. We also sell a waterless car wash. You can find both of these products on our website. XPEL Aftercare Products. If anybody has anymore questions feel free to let us know.

Old 09-11-2017, 06:56 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by AWDGuy
https://www.canadacarcare.ca/products/norinsem1

Optimum No Rinse and Shine. I use this for exterior paint, interior plastics, to windows and mirrors. Replaced a lot of bottles on my shelf with just this one product. Can be used as a car wash, instant detailer, clay lube....just need to follow their mixing instructions.
This!

Quick Reply: Best Recommendations for Washing/Waxing over Xpel Film