Sponsored by:

Compartment fan

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 10:53 PM
lowkey9972
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Compartment fan

I have a question about the compartment fan in my 2010 997.2 C2S Cab.

For clarity, the fan I am referring to is the one attached to the upper side of the rear engine compartment cover. After a lot of different attempts, I finally confirmed that the fan will only come on when the engine is hot and I leave the ignition key in and "on" (lights in dashboard all on).

Two things please:

1. Is it correct to call the fan the "compartment fan" or is there a different name?
2. I would expect the fan to come on and stay on while the engine is "too" hot, regardless of whether or not the ignition is on. Why would it make sense for the fan to ONLY come on and stay on when the ignition is on? I really don't understand this - is it a known problem/oversight or is there a logical explanation for this ...?

Thank you,
Old 08-13-2017, 11:07 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by lowkey9972
I have a question about the compartment fan in my 2010 997.2 C2S Cab.

For clarity, the fan I am referring to is the one attached to the upper side of the rear engine compartment cover. After a lot of different attempts, I finally confirmed that the fan will only come on when the engine is hot and I leave the ignition key in and "on" (lights in dashboard all on).

Two things please:

1. Is it correct to call the fan the "compartment fan" or is there a different name?
2. I would expect the fan to come on and stay on while the engine is "too" hot, regardless of whether or not the ignition is on. Why would it make sense for the fan to ONLY come on and stay on when the ignition is on? I really don't understand this - is it a known problem/oversight or is there a logical explanation for this ...?

Thank you,
It is supposed to operate when ignition is off. It may take a few minutes for the compartment temps to get hot enough to trigger the fan. Shut the car off (ignition off) and hang around for a few minutes to see if it turns on.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:18 PM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 131 Posts

I have a .2 and mine does not stay on either. It shuts off as soon as the car is turned off and does not come back on unless the key is left in the on position.

Maybe there is a difference between .1 and .2 cars?
Old 08-14-2017, 12:16 AM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 225 Posts

If the fan is not on after the car shut off, it is because it is not hot enough...... sometime I backed into my garage (lots of room behind the engine) and sometime I parked head-in with the garage door closed right behind the engine with little room for ventilation...... whenever I parked head-in, the fan will come on a few minutes after I parked (ignition out)... I have 997.1
Old 08-14-2017, 12:23 AM
Yet anothercrisis
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

i have a .2 (a 12) since new. The compartment fan ran off and on after shut down and key removed the first summer I had the car. I realized this summer that I don't hear the fan when the car is first shut down no matter how hot it may be. I can't say about other summers since the first one. I know that it is based on engine or compartment temperature, not ambient temps.....
Anyway, my car was just in for the annual oil service and I had the dealer check the fan out of curiosity. The service folks tell me that the fan is operating to spec as it reacts to the proper temperatures. I am not sure this helps, but I can't imagine why the fan used to run and now doesn't seem to run after shut down.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:29 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

Perhaps it has a feature which won't allow it to run down the battery. If your battery is old and has a weak charge, it won't come on.
Old 08-14-2017, 01:53 AM
Presto
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 37 Posts

On my 997.2 the fan comes on after about 3-5mins of car being switched off and key removed. It happens even after a drive at night but then again the ambient temperatures here are always around 100-110 F.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:51 AM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

Anyone know the temp for it to kick on with car off? Coming off the track with 250 oil temps you would think is considered "hot".. or does it not use engine temps, it uses ambient temps?
Old 08-14-2017, 08:18 AM
DB's997
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by platinum997
I have a .2 and mine does not stay on either. It shuts off as soon as the car is turned off and does not come back on unless the key is left in the on position. As did my 2006 Carrera.

My 2010 Carrera S always runs the fan with the key off when I park her in the garage after a drive.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:41 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

I have a .2 and mine does not stay on either. It shuts off as soon as the car is turned off and does not come back on unless the key is left in the on position.

From the 2010 (997.2) Owner's Manual:

After the engine is switched off, the engine compartment
temperature is monitored for
approx. 30 minutes.
During this period, and depending on temperature,
the engine-compartment blower
may continue to run or start to run.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:53 AM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

Crazy... Now I'm worried a bit. Mine has never stayed on or come on.

For everyone saying it comes on and a .2 car. Are your 3.8 or 3.6?
Old 08-14-2017, 09:31 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Crazy... Now I'm worried a bit. Mine has never stayed on or come on.

For everyone saying it comes on and a .2 car. Are your 3.8 or 3.6?
Mine was a 3.8 but I don't think there's a difference. Come on down to Texas and we'll test it...or after a lengthy drive, park it in your garage and close the garage door...wait and listen.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:58 AM
BER
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a '12 997.2 with the 3.8 DFI engine.

My engine compartment fan has not come on this summer once the key is removed. The fan works with the engine running.

My hunch it is just not hot enough to activate the fan when the car is off.

Does anyone know if there is a Durametric setting that relates to the engine compartment fan?
Old 08-14-2017, 11:20 AM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't know about the fan coming on, but I looked this morning and mine is coming off...literally The shroud is hanging by just a couple of the attachment points.

It's unbelievable they would make a part for use in a hot area out of plastic that gets brittle from heat and age, and with such tiny little attachment points.

Worst of all Porsche only sells it as a unit, even though the fan/motor can be unbolted from the shroud Local Porsche dealer wants $421 for it. What a racket Ordered it online for under $200. Really I would have JB-welded it but probably the whole thing is brittle.

Old 08-14-2017, 11:37 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,419 Likes on 861 Posts

2009 C2S 118K miles

There is no Durametric coding parameter that I am aware of to set the engine compartment temp threshold to trigger fan.

There is a "switch" in Durametric to turn the various fan on and off for testing purposes.

I believe, but not sure, that your car will throw a code if there is a fan failure. You can read this code at the dealer or with a Durametric; not sure if all OBD II readers can see Porsche-specific codes. I do not believe fan failure will light the dash light (my 2000 Boxster S had two radiator fan failures in its 197K mile life and did not throw a dash light but did throw an internal code IIRC).

Anywhooo, anyone concernced about the proper functioning of their fans can find out with a Durametric or a trip to their dealer of course.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Quick Reply: Compartment fan