Sponsored by:

Compartment fan

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 01:09 PM
BER
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bruce,

As you pointed out, the only Durametric function I can see is to activate that cooling fan for testing purposes...and Yes, mine will activate with the Durametric.

I have heard it running when I pull into the garage on a hot day.

I have to assume that my engine compartment temps are not reaching the temp threshold to activate the fan when the car is not running.

All connections and attachment fittings are fine.

Thanks.
Old 08-14-2017, 01:30 PM
lowkey9972
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is a 3.8L 997.2, with PDK (if that could be a factor).

Regarding the suggestion to visit a dealer ... my story is that I did visit the dealer and I was told that "the fan is operating normally". They did not give any details about ignition on/off as a pre-requisite. That's what made me realize that I need to figure this out myself (or with internet help). My confidence level of dealer service knowledge is getting a little bit lower after each visit. Time to learn more on my own and find a good independent shop.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:39 AM
Presto
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 37 Posts

Should be easy to test. Pick the hottest day (atleast 90 degrees f or more)and go for a very very spirited drive in sport or sport plus mode shifting near the redline. After 20-30 mins of such driving when you park the car and fan still does not come on maybe you need to inspect further.
Old 08-15-2017, 02:13 PM
lowkey9972
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Presto
Should be easy to test. Pick the hottest day (atleast 90 degrees f or more)and go for a very very spirited drive in sport or sport plus mode shifting near the redline. After 20-30 mins of such driving when you park the car and fan still does not come on maybe you need to inspect further.
Sounds like a good idea, will try in due course
Old 08-16-2017, 11:11 AM
JayRace
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben Z
Worst of all Porsche only sells it as a unit, even though the fan/motor can be unbolted from the shroud Local Porsche dealer wants $421 for it. What a racket Ordered it online for under $200. Really I would have JB-welded it but probably the whole thing is brittle.
This is very common because the fan assembly is put together and then the blades are balanced after the fact. That's what those little metal clips on the blades are for. Just like how a wheel is balanced after the tire is put on.
Old 08-16-2017, 01:08 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JayRace
This is very common because the fan assembly is put together and then the blades are balanced after the fact. That's what those little metal clips on the blades are for. Just like how a wheel is balanced after the tire is put on.
The plastic fan blades (joined by a circular plastic halo) is attached to the motorshaft, and the motor+fan in turn is attached to the shroud which in turn is attached to the underside of the engine cover lid. The fan blades could easily be balanced to run true on the motor, independent of the shroud. That said, neither the old fan nor the new one have any metal clips.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:45 PM
JayRace
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The plastic fan blades (joined by a circular plastic halo) is attached to the motorshaft, and the motor+fan in turn is attached to the shroud which in turn is attached to the underside of the engine cover lid. The fan blades could easily be balanced to run true on the motor, independent of the shroud. That said, neither the old fan nor the new one have any metal clips.
That may be the case but these are sold as a single assembly to Porsche from Gate which is part of Johnson Electric. That is how they make them. You will not find individual components, at least new. Pretty much the same with any electric fan manufacturer (I distribute them).
With that said, there are a few of these exact OEM fans on eBay right now for under $100. I would just pick up one of those. Looks like new ones are $175-200.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:01 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JayRace
That may be the case but these are sold as a single assembly to Porsche from Gate which is part of Johnson Electric. That is how they make them. You will not find individual components, at least new. Pretty much the same with any electric fan manufacturer (I distribute them).
With that said, there are a few of these exact OEM fans on eBay right now for under $100. I would just pick up one of those. Looks like new ones are $175-200.
Got OEM new for under $200, already installed. No way I would get a used one. The plastic obviously is seriously affected by the heat. My old one had turned gray from its original black. And the arms of the shroud that attach to the outer part and support the weight of the fan are about 1/16" thick, absolutely ridiculous considering there's plenty of space. The housing should have been made of metal on a car of this caliber, but if not at least it shoud have been designed stronger.

I'm going to JB weld my old one and keep it as a spare for when this one eventually breaks, so I'm not caught up against a wall. Stealership parts department told me $421. Suncoast was half that but they had to order it. Finally found one in stock and had it overnighted.
Old 08-28-2017, 12:42 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 182 Posts

BTW, I went for a drive today. Amb temps around 100 F. Parked the car and took out the trash 10 minutes later and the fan was running.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:59 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,430 Likes on 867 Posts

That said, neither the old fan nor the new one have any metal clips.
I assume you are referring to balancing weights. My 2009 C2S fans have balancing clips... maybe yours was lucky in balance when assembled.

There is a voice in my head telling me that mine are out of balance and one day, at high velocity, a blade will break off, shards will enter my engine compartment, shred cables and hoses...... Need to balance those fans!!! Make a vid..... become famous saving engines.....

Actually mine did go way out of balance.... last year I was trundling through a salt mash near Atlantic City doing photography, and the green heads were out in force....... when I got home, I opened the engine lid and the fan, fan blades, and engine compartment were covered by roasted green head flys......... That is how I discovered my flan blades had those balancing weights... I took apart the whole kit and scraped off crunchy, roasted fly guts.

My blog piece where I write about these evil flys.... http://travelthroughpictures.com/pho...verter-review/

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Old 08-30-2017, 10:07 AM
lowkey9972
6th Gear

Originally Posted by lowkey9972
Sounds like a good idea, will try in due course
An update :
Drove home from work yesterday. About 50km trip in usual rush-hour traffic, weather temp was about 23'c (73'F). Made two stops, about 10 mins each. Fan did not operate when I switched off, nor was it on when I returned to the car each time.

Arrived home, parked inside garage as usual. Whole trip was now about 1hr 20 mins. Ignition off for about 5 mins, no fan noise. Switched ignition on, about 5 mins later the fan came on and stayed on for about 15 mins. During the fan running, I switched the ignition off to see if it would stay on, it did not. Put the ignition on again and wham - fan comes on again!

This suggests to me ... either I do have a fault somewhere (ignition needs to be on for fan to work), or, there is a different temp setting that will trigger the fan if the ignition is on or not on.

Anyone got any new info ...? (or I'll try a different more knowledgeable dealer than the last one!)

Quick Reply: Compartment fan