Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 01:06 AM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question from a 993 guy

My girlfriend has a 2009 CarreraS.

You youngsters with your digital—this, and your bluetooth—that, I always get nervous when the 997 starts giving warnings, cuz I am never 100% sure exactly what they mean. And they always happen when I am not there.

Anyway, she got a warning—"check engine oil level"
I assume that means she is just a little low, not that she is in dire need and shouldn't drive 5—6 miles to the gas station to get a quart right?

I am just used to analog meters... 993, 914...

When does this "check engine oil level" notification trigger—how far down?

Thank you in advance

-Andrew
Old 08-06-2017, 09:17 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Amfab
My girlfriend has a 2009 CarreraS.

You youngsters with your digital—this, and your bluetooth—that, I always get nervous when the 997 starts giving warnings, cuz I am never 100% sure exactly what they mean. And they always happen when I am not there.

Anyway, she got a warning—"check engine oil level"
I assume that means she is just a little low, not that she is in dire need and shouldn't drive 5—6 miles to the gas station to get a quart right?

I am just used to analog meters... 993, 914...

When does this "check engine oil level" notification trigger—how far down?

Thank you in advance

-Andrew
The owner's manual says just to check the level using the electronic measurement feature. It could mean oil level is too low or even oil level is too high. I wouldn't put any oil in until you get a measurement reading.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:46 AM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

great, thanks Ill call her and tell her to check it, Im just not there this weekend. she had an oil change a couple of weeks ago and its been hot. i wonder if its just a tad overfilled
Old 08-06-2017, 04:57 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

It's likely overfilled. Happened to me lastvoil change. If it comes on intermittently like mine did and on a slope that's definitely the problem. Her car is a .2 correct? She should be able to bring up the digital dash gauge and see that it's too high.
Old 08-06-2017, 07:44 PM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeah its overfilled a little. I asked her to check it and the gauge is at the top.

I asked about when it went on and she said she was running errands—a lot of stop and go—and it was in the 90s yesterday.

I assume it just got a little hotter than normal the oil expanded a little more than usual and triggered it.

I had almost 1/4qt in the garage and she put it in thinking it was low without checking. I bought a little pump thingy at harbor freight so I can pump out a little.

https://www.harborfreight.com/multi-...ump-61364.html

Thanks for the help

-Andrew

Quick Reply: Question from a 993 guy