Sponsored by:

Engine swap/Rebuild - 4L with Cup Car top end

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 02:27 AM
sraz786
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine swap/Rebuild - 4L with Cup Car top end

So I've been exploring options for my 997.1 C2S in terms of engine swap/build. Let's ignore cost/resale/emissions for this discussion.

The first option was to swap a Mezger GT3 motor/trans from a 7.2 3.8 donor. Anyone gone down this route? I seem to recall someone mentioning it but didn't elaborate further on all that was involved.

The second, more interesting option is to rebuild my current C2S engine into a 4L with LN Nickies/JE pistons etc for the bottom end, but a complete top end from a Cup Car with aftermarket electronics. The power figures were quoted as around 520-540HP and 400 tq with a redline of approx 8200. I have never heard of this combo as an option for an M97 and was wondering if others have. The shop is a very reputable shop and known nationwide and they say they have done very similar builds on other cars but I can't seem to find anyone or anything on builds of this nature. I was wondering if anyone else has and can shed some light on this type of build?

Looking forward to your responses. Thanks!
Old 08-02-2017, 02:40 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,092 Posts

sell your car
get a gt3

Trust me on this. you'll come out ahead

And yes, I know a guy here in SoCal (he's on here every now and again) who took a C4S 997.1, put a GT3 motor/trans in it, and basically turned it into a wide body GT3, including all the chassis bits (subframes, suspension, etc). He did most of the work himself including the wiring harness and electronics which was NOT trivial (but it works like factory now). It works good, sounds like, drives like, and is fast like a GT3.

Name the shop that's putting 997 Mezger heads on standard 997 motors.
Old 08-02-2017, 03:15 AM
sraz786
Instructor

Wink

Originally Posted by Spyerx
sell your car
get a gt3

Trust me on this. you'll come out ahead

And yes, I know a guy here in SoCal (he's on here every now and again) who took a C4S 997.1, put a GT3 motor/trans in it, and basically turned it into a wide body GT3, including all the chassis bits (subframes, suspension, etc). He did most of the work himself including the wiring harness and electronics which was NOT trivial (but it works like factory now). It works good, sounds like, drives like, and is fast like a GT3.

Name the shop that's putting 997 Mezger heads on standard 997 motors.
Appreciate the response.

I was waiting for someone to say "Get a GT3" haha

Truth is, I already have a GT3 with a Sharkwerks 3.9 motor hence the obsession with the Mezger platform. It's modular, reliable, and tons of options out there in terms of builds. This car is perfect as is and I won't touch anything more.

My current C2S is more of a blank canvas to test out various, more eccentric ideas I may have that I wouldn't dare approach my GT3 with.

I'd rather not name the shop without their permission, but they're very reputable and don't doubt their abilities which is the only reason why I would seriously consider their engine build proposal.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:03 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,092 Posts

If you have the $ to burn!!!! BURN BABY BURN

I think you're going out be on the losing end (well mods are always) of a C2S doing something like this. The mezger is just a better base to start with.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:34 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
If you have the $ to burn!!!! BURN BABY BURN

I think you're going out be on the losing end (well mods are always) of a C2S doing something like this. The mezger is just a better base to start with.
I agree. Contact Jake at Flat6. He can do a 4.0 or his R51. You won't be disappointed.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:41 PM
sraz786
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
I agree. Contact Jake at Flat6. He can do a 4.0 or his R51. You won't be disappointed.
Definitely one of the options I'm also considering. That year long wait is hard to swallow though.

Quick Reply: Engine swap/Rebuild - 4L with Cup Car top end