Spongy feeling after trackdays

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 01:42 PM
peterhorten
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Spongy feeling after trackdays

After hard driving on trackdays, i have some feelings as follows

The clutch pedal feels spongy, however, the clutch itself has grip. It does not close firmly.

The the whole powertrain is not acting crispy, but moves softly within the mounts - after my impression. All is somehow softer.

Some play in the gear shifter

I am sorry that I can not explain it more precisely.

What do you think on the following measures?
1. Bleeding the clutch, replacing the whole clutch maybe later
2. Changing the engine mounts.

3.There are some strategies for the shifter: numeric cables, or adding the function first bearings etc

Any overall thoughts on that? Thank you

Sorry for my English, I am writing from Western Europe
Old 08-01-2017, 04:25 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 159 Posts

Bleed your brakes first. That will remove the spongy feeling from the brake fluid system.

Engine mounts may have gone bad from the rigor of a track day if they are old. If you only track the car occasionally I would stick with OEM or Porsche branded replacements.

The 997 gear shifter mechanism is just plastic. So with all that hard rowing on track you may have stretched or abrased the plastic leaving some play in the shifter. It is annoying but should still work properly. The solves are to go all aluminum (i.e. Numeric shifter) or replace your plastic shifter box linkage with a metallic insert (i.e. Function First)
Old 08-01-2017, 09:00 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

Of course, it could be wear and tear of the mechanical and suspension parts, but could it also be your subjective feel driving normally rather than the adrenaline fueled driving on the track.

BTW, I'm sure your English is better than my "Western European" language capability. 😁

Quick Reply: Spongy feeling after trackdays