Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Pitch Intermittent Squeal

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2017 | 01:57 PM
alan111
Instructor

Default High Pitch Intermittent Squeal

EDIT: It is the water pump. Having it replaced.

Hey guys-
Please check out the following videos:

VIDEO 1 (shot after a cold-start in the morning): https://streamable.com/6tymn

I initially thought that I had a loose exhaust bolt, pebbles inside the exhaust or something related.
As soon as I drove away, the sound began to dissipitate. After about 1 minute, it was completely gone.

VIDEO 2 (shot about 2 hours later. Only started after driving for about 30 minutes):
https://streamable.com/378fv

It completely goes away at 2k RPM and over. Anything lower and it somewhat increases with engine speed. Happens whether in gear or not. Sounds like it is coming from the left muffler/exhaust. Doesn't sound too serious, but I am not really sure.

Any help or tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Alan

Last edited by alan111; 08-01-2017 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Cleaned up and added more info
Old 07-30-2017 | 02:07 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

check water pump, it could be on its way out...

If water pump seizes while driving, it will rip the drivebelt to pieces. If that happens, watch engine temp then pull over and shut down engine immediately.... Ask me how I know.....
Old 07-30-2017 | 02:12 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by alan111
Hey guys-

Any ideas? Car was warm. It completely goes away at 2k RPM and over. Anything lower and it somewhat increases with engine speed. Happens whether in gear or not. Sounds like it is coming from the left muffler/exhaust. Doesn't sound too serious, but I am not really sure.

Any help or tips would be much appreciated.

Video Link:
https://streamable.com/378fv

Thanks!
Alan
My 996 Turbo was making an intermittent chirp much less frequently than your car and the source of the problem proved to be a bad idler/tensioner roller bearing.

But it could be a water pump.

The noise won't get any better with more engine run time. My advice is to avoid running the engine any more and get the car to a shop.

There's nothing you can do on your driveway beyond calling for a flat bed tow truck unless you are prepared to get your hands dirty.
Old 07-30-2017 | 02:24 PM
alan111
Instructor

Edited original post above

Last edited by alan111; 07-30-2017 at 05:09 PM.
Old 07-30-2017 | 05:10 PM
alan111
Instructor

Originally Posted by lowbee
check water pump, it could be on its way out...

If water pump seizes while driving, it will rip the drivebelt to pieces. If that happens, watch engine temp then pull over and shut down engine immediately.... Ask me how I know.....
Originally Posted by Macster
My 996 Turbo was making an intermittent chirp much less frequently than your car and the source of the problem proved to be a bad idler/tensioner roller bearing.

But it could be a water pump.

The noise won't get any better with more engine run time. My advice is to avoid running the engine any more and get the car to a shop.

There's nothing you can do on your driveway beyond calling for a flat bed tow truck unless you are prepared to get your hands dirty.
Thank you both for replying. I added another video above (VIDEO 1 is new). It was shot before VIDEO 2's link.

Please let me know if this helps in confirming the water pump.

Thanks.
Old 07-30-2017 | 08:45 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

How old is your AOS?

With the car idling, try and remove the oil filler cap. If it's tough ti remove due to suction, your AOS has failed.
Old 07-30-2017 | 08:46 PM
alan111
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
How old is your AOS?

With the car idling, try and remove the oil filler cap. If it's tough ti remove due to suction, your AOS has failed.
Original AOS I believe. No billows of smoke though.
Pretty sure it is the water pump. There is some liquid drippings right under the center muffler. I do not know what the liquid is though.

Last edited by alan111; 07-31-2017 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Edited for clarity
Old 07-31-2017 | 06:49 PM
Devil Boy
Racer

Doesn't quite sound like an AOS. When my AOS went bad it sounded like when you blow up a balloon and then squeeze the opening to make it squeak...only much louder and way more embarrassing at every stoplight.

+1 check that water pump
Old 07-31-2017 | 09:03 PM
alan111
Instructor

Originally Posted by Devil Boy
Doesn't quite sound like an AOS. When my AOS went bad it sounded like when you blow up a balloon and then squeeze the opening to make it squeak...only much louder and way more embarrassing at every stoplight.

+1 check that water pump
Exactly. Car is at the shop now. Will know tomorrow. Looking like it's the water pump.
Thanks everyone for your replies.
Old 08-01-2017 | 12:14 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Video 2 is definitely a pulley squeak, likely from the water pump if you see fluid on the ground (pink if it's the proper Pie che he coolant). Video #1 does not sound like a water pump unless it's the impeller blades actually contacting the block. It's a noise that doesn't sound good at all.

Interested to hear the diagnosis.
Old 08-01-2017 | 05:52 PM
alan111
Instructor

Thanks for everyone's insight. Well it was the water pump. Had the car flat-bedded to Bodymotion (bodymotion.com) by the Jersey Shore (great Porsche indy) and they confirmed it was the water pump. All replaced and buttoned up. Should be picking it back up tonight.

Quick Reply: High Pitch Intermittent Squeal