Sponsored by:

Rear-ended on freeway :(

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 08:54 PM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by captainbaker
I would also be looking for a new car for various reasons....the biggest being a high chance that the car will be totalled. Diminished value second.

The previous linked thread details how a small fender bender can blossom into a major repair.

At this point its a numbers game for the insurance company. If they can pay out a total loss but recoup $15k on the sale of the chassis, it might be cheaper than repairing. Every insurance company has a percentage for repair VS total.

OP did good on taking to it a Porsche approved repair facility. In California, the owner has the right to take the car to a shop of his choosing.
Anytime the bumper skin is pushed in a good 8 inches (from the photo), that means the engine/frame got smashed as well. There isnt a whole lot of room in the rear of a 997.
Old 09-23-2017, 01:41 AM
Dartmouth
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 65 Posts

That rear end damage certainly looks to me like frame damage. When they remove the bumper, you are going to see the frame dented in front of the airbox. That's when the damage can go from $5K to $12K. I suggest you go look at the damage yourself BEFORE the body shop starts pulling it apart and have the body shop owner go over the repairs they plan to do in detail with you. And last, file for diminished value restoration from the insurance company that caused the damage. I settled with NJM for $5500 but it was a real hassle to get them to agree and pay me
Old 09-23-2017, 01:53 AM
snethss
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

this thread made me laugh quite a bit.

looking for a new car after a few dings? brand new bumpers, hood, and some paint from the dealership. all covered by insureance.

totaled? not unless there's structural or engine damage.

Do some of you drive around on with plastic covers on your seats too?
Old 09-23-2017, 02:12 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by snethss
this thread made me laugh quite a bit.

looking for a new car after a few dings? brand new bumpers, hood, and some paint from the dealership. all covered by insureance.

totaled? not unless there's structural or engine damage.

Do some of you drive around on with plastic covers on your seats too?
Not sure who you're arguing with. The OP said the insurance company ruled his car a total loss. Obvoiously, there was more there than a couple of bumper skins and paint.

The only question is what items were the big ones that pushed the costs over the top.
Old 09-23-2017, 02:29 AM
Chirofirst
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Much like your car can have hidden damage that you may not discover till later, your body can have the same!
Enough force to dent your P-car that badly can dent your body. We aren't built to take that much force, that quickly.
Get your neck and body checked out if you haven't already. I can help you find a doctor who will take the right type of X-rays and look at them accurately. (I would have no ties or financial affiliation whatsoever with whomever I would recommend!)
PM me if I can help in any way.
Old 12-19-2017, 05:57 PM
jeffleept
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Received some inquiries about the bodyshop estimate. Attached below.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Approval.pdf (2.51 MB, 197 views)
File Type: pdf
Approval.pdf (2.51 MB, 51 views)
Old 12-20-2017, 01:55 PM
Blu311
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Yikes, almost $30k!!!

This car will likely be purchased from the insurance company for pennies on the dollar, they will replace the bumpers, do some cheap paint work, and list at close to blue book because it was a 'small accident'. That's why I wont buy a salvage or total loss car, you'll never know what was or wasn't fixed correctly.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:58 PM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Blu311
Yikes, almost $30k!!!

This car will likely be purchased from the insurance company for pennies on the dollar, they will replace the bumpers, do some cheap paint work, and list at close to blue book because it was a 'small accident'. That's why I wont buy a salvage or total loss car, you'll never know what was or wasn't fixed correctly.

That is indeed a small accident and who ever buys this with a "rebuilt" or "salvage" title discount will get a steal of a deal. Those estimates are always super over inflated fyi! I myself don't buy such cars because i don't want to deal with headaches when selling later on, but some people don't mind, specially those that plan on keeping forever- IF you have pics of prior damage or buy the car w the damage and fix yourself is the best route
Old 12-21-2017, 12:21 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

They are charging to straighten the license plate. Line 28. lol
And why all the AC and coolant R&I up front? None of that needs to be removed to replace a hood and front bumper cover.
And replacing the garage control module? There is a ton of superfluous stuff in here that isn't making sense.
.8 hr to take out the front lamps?! line 30/31. That's a 45 second job.
Old 12-21-2017, 01:15 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

Well, most of the labor times are dictated by the book, but I agree that that estimate looks a pretty padded. But in my experience, the first estimate usually is. The insurance company rarely pays the full amount without negotiating.

I wonder what the threshold for a total loss was on this particular car?
Old 12-21-2017, 02:21 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

hoping for the best for OP. this definitely serves as a valuable cautionary tale.
Old 12-21-2017, 03:08 PM
jeffleept
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Fined
hoping for the best for OP. this definitely serves as a valuable cautionary tale.
Thank you, ears were ringing for about 2 days, and was in pain for about 2 months after the accident (neck/shoulders/headaches). Not going after the girl who hit me.

Began the search for a 997.2 manual gearbox meteor grey coupe immediately, bought an Evoque to buy time.

Found a 997.2 CPO arctic silver C2 few weeks ago, slowly getting her dialed in now .

Quick Reply: Rear-ended on freeway :(