Sponsored by:

Drove a 996TT today...WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 08:24 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 405 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by champignon
I also have a 2003, bought about a month ago, and it too, has more than $20K in recent repairs and maintenance (I'm counting the last 2 owners before me, which is over a period of 2.5 years).

People need to realize that these 996TT, whatever their attributes, are not cars for the faint-hearted. I'm a long time BMW owner, and a more recent BMW collector, and the horror stories one reads on BMW forums pale in comparison to what one can see here with one's own eyes. The 996TT is a magnificent but seriously flawed vehicle. There were design choices made in this car that may have been efficient and cost saving when the cars were constructed, but which do not make these cars the best ones to own when service is needed.

Having to drop the engine in order to service and/or replace the power steering system AND the coolant system (as was done in my car, TWICE over 2.5 years) is really not evidence of very practical long term design.

We still love these cars, for what they are. But bring a healthy bank account along with you if you are buying one of these older used cars, especially if you don't really know what has been done to it over the course of its lifetime.

If a potential $10K+ repair bill will shake the underpinnings of your financial future, do not, I repeat DO NOT, buy one of these cars. Really, I mean it.
So did you come to the determination that a TT is seriously flawed in the 30 days you've owned it, or did you perform due diligence beforehand, determine it was seriously flawed and bought it anyway? I hope it's not choice number 2.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:34 PM
rawbar
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have also been shopping for a 996TT for several months and finally took the leap last week. The prices have definitely been creeping up since I started looking but I'd say that if you're shopping the entire country, you should be able to pick something up comparable to what you're describing in the 38-42k range after negotiations. Picking my Turbo S up in Detroit next week.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:43 PM
Hulley
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
Just so you know, the seller is active on this forum...

On a separate note, those wheels look different than regular turbo twists, I think.
Thanks, I've been talking to them for quite a while, good people!
Old 06-16-2017, 08:47 PM
Hulley
Instructor

Keep in mind, I'm not trying to compare the 996TT to the 997 C2S, both are in my budget $40-50k so those are my options at the moment. The ultimate goal is a 997 GT3 but that's gonna wait a little longer. It would be nice to drive a car that I could hopefully sell for what I paid for or at least lose minimal money on while I'm saving more money.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:01 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,442 Posts

Originally Posted by Hulley
.........It would be nice to drive a car that I could hopefully sell for what I paid for or at least lose minimal money on while I'm saving more money.
A 996TT will most likely fit that program much better than a 997 C2S.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:32 PM
Hulley
Instructor

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
A 996TT will most likely fit that program much better than a 997 C2S.
That's what I've been thinking. The 996TT are on the upswing where the 997s are still maybe dropping or holding steady.
Old 06-17-2017, 02:29 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,442 Posts

Originally Posted by Hulley
That's what I've been thinking. The 996TT are on the upswing where the 997s are still maybe dropping or holding steady.
Plus the C2S will most likely not be as "collectible" as the Turbo.
Old 06-18-2017, 01:31 AM
champignon
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by autobonrun
So did you come to the determination that a TT is seriously flawed in the 30 days you've owned it, or did you perform due diligence beforehand, determine it was seriously flawed and bought it anyway? I hope it's not choice number 2.
No, I reached that conclusion long before I bought the car that I bought. The car that I bought already had all these things addressed, and recently; hopefully, I will not need to address them again in the next few years. And fortunately, if I do need to address these things, and write a big check, I'll be OK. I can afford it.

But my point is, these things can be very expensive to own, and writing the check to buy one can be just the start of that. If, as a buyer, one does not understand that coming in, then rethink the purchase, is all that I can say.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:06 AM
treeman911
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Once you drive the Turbo, it is hard to be happy with anything else, provided you do like to run the revs up where these motors are made to and like to run. Prices appear to be moving up, so I don't think it will get less expensive over time. Too bad it does not have the 6 speed though. I think the price is about right.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:10 AM
treeman911
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry, thought it was a tip. Turbo with 6 speed is heaven.
Old 06-18-2017, 05:22 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by treeman911
Once you drive the Turbo, it is hard to be happy with anything else, provided you do like to run the revs up where these motors are made to and like to run.
They are also made to run at lower revs, and they "like to run" there too.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:41 PM
Hosewater2
Instructor

Originally Posted by champignon
No, I reached that conclusion long before I bought the car that I bought. The car that I bought already had all these things addressed, and recently; hopefully, I will not need to address them again in the next few years. And fortunately, if I do need to address these things, and write a big check, I'll be OK. I can afford it.

But my point is, these things can be very expensive to own, and writing the check to buy one can be just the start of that. If, as a buyer, one does not understand that coming in, then rethink the purchase, is all that I can say.
Your car is clearly an exception, in reading others' experiences >$20K is the far right end of the bell curve. I feel much more secure in a 996tt than I would in an early 00s M car of any number.
Old 06-19-2017, 02:08 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 405 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Hosewater2
Your car is clearly an exception, in reading others' experiences >$20K is the far right end of the bell curve. I feel much more secure in a 996tt than I would in an early 00s M car of any number.
Correct. I was going to say something but decided to let it drop. I tuned mine up when I bought it and changed the clutch accumulator. Total about $2k. Other expenses like 2nd set of rims, LWF, tune were not mandatory. Everything made by man has flaws. I have not found anything excessive in any Porsche I've owned. I currently have three. Sounds like you already know what an M car can cost. Fortunately I've avoided the big hitters with my M5(SAI pluggage, Vanos, rod bearings, etc).
Old 06-19-2017, 02:49 PM
Hosewater2
Instructor

Originally Posted by autobonrun
Correct. I was going to say something but decided to let it drop. I tuned mine up when I bought it and changed the clutch accumulator. Total about $2k. Other expenses like 2nd set of rims, LWF, tune were not mandatory. Everything made by man has flaws. I have not found anything excessive in any Porsche I've owned. I currently have three. Sounds like you already know what an M car can cost. Fortunately I've avoided the big hitters with my M5(SAI pluggage, Vanos, rod bearings, etc).
So just for comparison what do SAI, VANOS, and rod bearings cost to fix on those beautiful E39 M5s? I can only imagine how bad the V10 M5s are.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:02 PM
TommyT
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

In almost 10 years driving E39M5 my only failure was the fuel pump. 300 bucks and a half hour labor. SAI can be coded out for cheap or disassembled and cleaned for many thousands. VANOS is often bad solder joints on the board. Again cheap fix or some replace VANOS for many thousands. Rod bearings I've seen for about 2500. The spoiler failure alone on the TT is as much. Hopefully my turbo will be as reliable and trouble free as my M5 was.

Quick Reply: Drove a 996TT today...WOW!