Drove a 996TT today...WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 10:10 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,442 Posts

Originally Posted by KM1959
I looked at about 10 "mint" examples before finding one that actually was. A PPI is nice but you really need to get under that car and look at it yourself. Where did the car spend most of its life? California or Michigan? It makes a difference and Carfax can really help here. Any interior trim pieces hanging off? Repaints are almost always determinable by looking at them. It makes a difference and Carfax can really help here.

I picked a 996 TT over a 997 C2 and would again.
I consider all of what you listed above as parts of a PPI.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:27 PM
KM1959
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
I consider all of what you listed above as parts of a PPI.

Not saying you don't - but you didn't say anything other than a "clean PPI". I will add that $45K is what I'd consider to be a decent deal.

I paid way less for a near perfect (as in won its class at a Porsche concours two days after I bought it) with only 24K miles about a year ago. I think that was an excellent deal so I'm just providing a point of reference. I would try to get the black car for $42K but if you REALLY love it, $4K isn't worth losing a car for. Just make sure that the spoiler works!
Old 06-15-2017, 02:08 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Not saying you don't - but you didn't say anything other than a "clean PPI". I will add that $45K is what I'd consider to be a decent deal.

I paid way less for a near perfect (as in won its class at a Porsche concours two days after I bought it) with only 24K miles about a year ago. I think that was an excellent deal so I'm just providing a point of reference. I would try to get the black car for $42K but if you REALLY love it, $4K isn't worth losing a car for. Just make sure that the spoiler works!
When I say "clean PPI" it encompasses everything you listed as a given. I don't feel there is any need for me to itemize. If you feel like itemizing go right ahead. But please leave me out of it.

Last edited by Carlo_Carrera; 06-15-2017 at 02:30 PM.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:39 PM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

$45K for a clean, well sorted 53K mile car sounds right in the ballpark--if it's the right car, could be a great deal in fact.

Tune and exhaust and you're still well under $50K and you'll be driving a 500hp beast.

I have found that after 2.5 years of ownership the basic mods/upgrades have good staying power and I'm not wanting for more at this point in time.
Old 06-15-2017, 06:22 PM
KM1959
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
When I say "clean PPI" it encompasses everything you listed as a given. I don't feel there is any need for me to itemize. If you feel like itemizing go right ahead. But please leave me out of it.

Oh please forgive me kind sir. I had no idea that you were of such high stature that you had your own set of rules. Are there more than those listed below? The question is rhetorical.

1) I don't feel the need to post any sort of specific information
2) Others have my permission to do so if they feel like it
3) Do not include me in any posts

Got it Carlo. Like my previous posts, I was only trying to help others out . You can stop reading now.

To the OP best of luck on your car hunt. There really isn't a bad choice in the cars you are looking at. Let us know how you make out.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:12 PM
Hulley
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

I looked at about 10 "mint" examples before finding one that actually was. A PPI is nice but you really need to get under that car and look at it yourself. Where did the car spend most of its life? California or Michigan? It makes a difference and Carfax can really help here. Any interior trim pieces hanging off? Repaints are almost always determinable by looking at them. It makes a difference and Carfax can really help here.

I picked a 996 TT over a 997 C2 and would again.
The car is local so I was able to sit and give a good look around it, the only thing that bothers me was, there is a NY inspection sticker from 2017. I'm not wild about northern cars (I'm from Detroit) but I don't know how long it was up there. I would definitely get a PPI as there are some excellent Porsche shop near me and I would personally inspect the underside myself. I can provide a link is that is acceptable here.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:16 PM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Hulley
the only thing that bothers me was, there is a NY inspection sticker from 2017. I'm not wild about northern cars (I'm from Detroit) but I don't know how long it was up there. I would definitely get a PPI as there are some excellent Porsche shop near me and I would personally inspect the underside myself. I can provide a link is that is acceptable here.
For a stock car, a quick check of the turbo wastegate actuators can tell you if the car's seen salt/winter/wet conditions.

My car is 100% California owned from day one, and the wastegate actuators have no rust or corrosion. Seems to be a lot of northern cars that have rust on those actuators.

Nothing wrong with a Northern car if it's been garaged all winter etc.

For those of you who drive your turbos years round in snow climates this of course is not a big deal.

Last edited by Road King; 06-15-2017 at 08:52 PM.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:19 PM
Hulley
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Oh yeah, everything works including the spoiler.

Here is the link.
http://www.dickbarbourperformance.co...4/Details.aspx
Old 06-15-2017, 08:22 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Oh please forgive me kind sir. I had no idea that you were of such high stature that you had your own set of rules. Are there more than those listed below? The question is rhetorical.

1) I don't feel the need to post any sort of specific information
2) Others have my permission to do so if they feel like it
3) Do not include me in any posts

Got it Carlo. Like my previous posts, I was only trying to help others out . You can stop reading now.

To the OP best of luck on your car hunt. There really isn't a bad choice in the cars you are looking at. Let us know how you make out.
I am not of high stature nor do I have my own rules. And I am not trying to be jerk. I am just not interested an itemized discussion of what a "clean PPI" is. I am glad you are trying to help others. But I think I said all that needed to be said when I first replied, "I consider all of what you listed above as parts of a PPI." I was agreeing with you.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:00 PM
s65e90
Drifting

Received 725 Likes on 503 Posts

Here is the link.
I have the same car, but a 2003. Black/black 6 speed. Over 20k in recent repairs/maintenance. Car is excellent. Been thinking of selling for some time now. Message me if you'd be interested and want more info. It's also a FL car, 2-3 owners.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:27 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

Here is the link.
Just so you know, the seller is active on this forum...

On a separate note, those wheels look different than regular turbo twists, I think.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:35 AM
champignon
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by s65e90
I have the same car, but a 2003. Black/black 6 speed. Over 20k in recent repairs/maintenance. Car is excellent. Been thinking of selling for some time now. Message me if you'd be interested and want more info. It's also a FL car, 2-3 owners.
I also have a 2003, bought about a month ago, and it too, has more than $20K in recent repairs and maintenance (I'm counting the last 2 owners before me, which is over a period of 2.5 years).

People need to realize that these 996TT, whatever their attributes, are not cars for the faint-hearted. I'm a long time BMW owner, and a more recent BMW collector, and the horror stories one reads on BMW forums pale in comparison to what one can see here with one's own eyes. The 996TT is a magnificent but seriously flawed vehicle. There were design choices made in this car that may have been efficient and cost saving when the cars were constructed, but which do not make these cars the best ones to own when service is needed.

Having to drop the engine in order to service and/or replace the power steering system AND the coolant system (as was done in my car, TWICE over 2.5 years) is really not evidence of very practical long term design.

We still love these cars, for what they are. But bring a healthy bank account along with you if you are buying one of these older used cars, especially if you don't really know what has been done to it over the course of its lifetime.

If a potential $10K+ repair bill will shake the underpinnings of your financial future, do not, I repeat DO NOT, buy one of these cars. Really, I mean it.
Old 06-16-2017, 03:45 PM
Mahoney
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is the link.
That is a beautiful car and looks like a solid deal at that price. I paid $48,950 for a 2003 in Seal Grey on Black, 52K miles, SoCal car its whole life and nearly flawless. Also 6 speed, non-X50 car. That price included enclosed shipping to Seattle, so knock a little off for that. Bought in January this year.

Go for it. I love the car now that weather is nice, I've put Xpel on the front and rockers and am driving it a lot. A beast before the slight tuning I plan!
Old 06-16-2017, 03:58 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

997 c2s is/will be disappointing both, short and long term.

Great car - just not as great as a 996tt.

p.s. i have driven both extensively. Owned a 996t, close friend owned a 997c2s, he had a 996t prior. sold 997 c2s as quickly as possible. Mistake on his part.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:52 PM
Ck986
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I actually liked the 3.4 996. I liked winding it up. I don't think it's fair to the 997 to compare it to a 996tt. There was recently a video of a 991 c4s being compared to a 996tt. The 996tt turned out faster.

Quick Reply: Drove a 996TT today...WOW!