Sponsored by:

Reflash computer to stock

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 03:12 PM
ECU Doctors
Former Vendor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Oak, thanks for the thumbs up!

Yes, manimal, just send the ECU and include this form in the box: http://www.ecudoctors.com/repair-and-return-form.html

BTW, it is VERY important that you detail any issues that you have had in the past with the car that provoked faults code or a Check Engine Light.

We keep that in the back of our minds when working with the ECU so if there are strange things in the coding we know that you warned us about it in advanced.

Call me if you need more details: 800-328-1425
Old 06-27-2017, 03:46 PM
champignon
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by r0nd3L
Why not log it with Durametric to verify it's running nice and safe before jumping to flashing tunes? If it runs well, logs show nothing bad, does it matter?
Thanks for your suggestions.

I have been physically separated from the car for about a week, and this will continue for a few more days, will be back with it for a day but then again going out of town for several days around the 4th, so whatever I do it is going to be a bit delayed.

What I'm leaning towards doing is to data log the car as is, then add enough of an octane booster (Torco; I think this is one of the few that actually work) to get it to a theoretical 93, then re-run the data logging. I will also get the chance, obviously, to drive it in the "before" and "after" conditions. I'll compare the data obtained, and any driving observations. The head tech at the dealership told me on the phone a couple of days ago that if the engine was knocking, I should hear and feel it while driving the car.

At that point I will have several options, e.g. (1) leave as is, running 91 fuel; (2) leave as is, running 91 fuel with the octane booster added; (3) buy a new Softronic tune for 91 octane; and (4), reflash to stock. The dealer would do that for me for around 1.5 hours of labor, or roughly $200.

In the interim I have been able to contact the owner who put the tune on the car (fellow before the guy I bought the car from). He is going to send me all of his before and after tune files, which I can compare to the files I received on a USB key from the seller of the car. He will also send me any receipts and correspondence he can find from the tuner. I am lucky that this former owner is also a car junkie, so he understood where I am coming from and he said he wants to help out.

Thanks again.
The following users liked this post:
158Sierra (02-18-2022)
Old 06-27-2017, 03:54 PM
champignon
Pro

Originally Posted by ECU Doctors
champignon,

Sorry for the late response but here's my answer...

We have the capability to read the ECU's memory and save a copy of what's in it for later use if needed.

Then, we can re-flash a OEM stock tuning into the computer for you to start from. We have stock and virgin files from all the Porsche makes and models.

We also can use an original Porsche scanner to reflash the ECU back to original configuration.

It's a very straight forward procedure, but it does take a couple of hours because it's a slow process.

Any other questions?
Thanks very much, I appreciate the information and the offer.
Old 02-22-2021, 02:20 AM
eaceves1
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ECU Doctors
Returning a unit back to stock is easy.

We can also make a copy of the existing tune of the unit in the case that you want to load it back up for later use.

Let me know.
Hi, I'd like to reflash my 06 Cayman S back to stock so that it'll pass smog and then I plan on selling it. How much do you charge and what's the process?
thanks
Enrique
Old 02-22-2021, 08:38 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 90 Posts

Also consider your local dealer. I paid one hour of labor to flash my 996TT back to stock at the dealer.
Old 02-24-2021, 07:23 PM
champignon
Pro

Originally Posted by manimal
Also consider your local dealer. I paid one hour of labor to flash my 996TT back to stock at the dealer.
My dealer told me it would take 1 or 2 hours to reflash my 996TT as well. I haven't bothered doing it because I only drive my TT 1K-2K miles per year, and I've been satisfied with the results I get from the Torco additive, which at my usage level would take a lot of years to get to the point where it cost more than getting the reflash done. If I didn't have so many cars, and I drove the TT more, I'd probably reflash it back to stock.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:48 PM
01Turbo
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another one here that had to reflash back to stock because of smog . I went to the dealer and was able to get it done.
Old 02-17-2022, 03:34 PM
pummma
6th Gear

Hi, I'm in the same boat for Cali Smog, what dealer did it for you and how much did they charge?
Old 02-18-2022, 12:06 PM
Drinaldis
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

First time in '15 was $98. Second time in '21 was $340
Old 02-25-2022, 05:39 AM
eracer
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just a heads up in Northern California, I called pretty much most of the bay area dealers and every single one is now hesitant/apprehensive of putting a stock tune back on the car. Most of the service technicians will tell you that their service managers will only allow them to sell you a brand new ECU and the labor to install. The average cost I've been quoted for such work is $880 for an ECU and $500 for the installation labor. I was told that the reason for this is becuase they have had several ECUs in the past that they have tried to revert back to a stock tune that pretty much fried the ECU and they don't want to take on that liability. (total BS I think as I've spoken to a few folks who were able to get this service done earlier in 2021 for anywhere between $240-$350)

I did a search outside of the bay area and the Porsche Dealer in Sacramento is willing to tackle this job. I was quoted 1hr labor and am booked to have it done in March. I'll post an update when I get it done.
Old 02-25-2022, 10:25 AM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,893 Likes on 1,204 Posts

$880 for an ECU is a great deal, I think they list for about $4k.
Old 02-25-2022, 10:50 AM
pummma
6th Gear

I called local dealers in Central Valley and its kind of the same response, they want to know what tune is on it and some are saying 3-5 hours. Santa Clarita Porsche is going to take a look on Monday as they say they have done this before, so Ill post updates then, they quoted $285 for 1 hour of labot.
Old 03-04-2022, 02:09 AM
pummma
6th Gear

Santa Clarita Porsche took care of the flash for $285 @1hour of labor. They had to request some of the codes, like X50 from Germany so they had to keep the car overnight, but they were nice enough to Uber me 90 miles home and back a couple days later to pickup the car. They have an awesome museum in the basement with @20 cars.
The following users liked this post:
Drinaldis (03-04-2022)
Old 03-11-2022, 03:24 PM
eracer
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Update on my end. Porsche in Rocklin got the car tuned back to stock for me. It was an hour of labor for $240. No issues whatsoever. Ask for Arian as he is familiar with the request and did not give me any kind of grief about the service ask.
The following 2 users liked this post by eracer:
BengoL (03-12-2022), Carlo_Carrera (03-11-2022)
Old 12-30-2023, 06:27 PM
WhoDat996tt
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by manimal
@pummma @manimal @eracer After this, it was able to pass smog? I just did that and i was flagged for "modified software" even after the dealer stock flash...

Last edited by WhoDat996tt; 12-30-2023 at 06:30 PM. Reason: added tags

Quick Reply: Reflash computer to stock