Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor mount assistance needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 03:03 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 161 Posts

Glad you got it figured it out, I knew right away from your post because I had the same thing happen when I installed my engine mounts.. the instructions didn't say to use the spacers and the illustration didn't show them, but they are indeed required.
Old 06-11-2017, 03:58 PM
D.K
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by T10Chris
Glad you got it figured it out, I knew right away from your post because I had the same thing happen when I installed my engine mounts.. the instructions didn't say to use the spacers and the illustration didn't show them, but they are indeed required.
I would've had no clue that the spacers were required. These didn't even come with instructions on the box. Probably my fault for assuming that all aftermarket mounts would be installed the same way. I'll take another stab at it later today once it cools down some outside. I got a little excited and just threw the stock mounts back in so I could try out the new ICs and mafless setup.
Old 06-11-2017, 04:46 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by D.K
I would've had no clue that the spacers were required. These didn't even come with instructions on the box. Probably my fault for assuming that all aftermarket mounts would be installed the same way. I'll take another stab at it later today once it cools down some outside. I got a little excited and just threw the stock mounts back in so I could try out the new ICs and mafless setup.
The mounts were one of my favorite upgrades to the car.. transformed how it feels going into corners... The instructions show the mounts installed in a different generation car since these fit at least from 964 to 997. Mine are Rennline, but yeah, same thing.. I couldn't figure it out and then my non-car guy buddy drinking beer and watching me work says "hey, why dont you put those spacers back in, that will make up the space easily"

Sure enough, that did it
Old 06-11-2017, 06:07 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Glad it worked out! Happy motoring
Old 06-11-2017, 08:00 PM
32krazy!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

its odd really i just unbolted the oem mounts from the spacers and put the new units in. never occurred to me to remove the spacers
Old 06-11-2017, 08:21 PM
D.K
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
its odd really i just unbolted the oem mounts from the spacers and put the new units in. never occurred to me to remove the spacers
It was done in the motor mount install video that I watched. I just assumed it was the norm for aftermarket mounts.
Old 06-11-2017, 08:26 PM
D.K
Intermediate

The mounts were one of my favorite upgrades to the car.. transformed how it feels going into corners... The instructions show the mounts installed in a different generation car since these fit at least from 964 to 997. Mine are Rennline, but yeah, same thing.. I couldn't figure it out and then my non-car guy buddy drinking beer and watching me work says "hey, why dont you put those spacers back in, that will make up the space easily"

Sure enough, that did it
I always skip on the drinks whenever working on the Porsche, but I still end up making mistakes. At least this one is easier to resolve than the bank 1 COPs not being connected after the IC install.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:45 PM
clsund1
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, the spacers are needed for most aftermarket motor mounts. The Youtube video you probably watched (and I watched) used a different manufacturer. But I think that he actually needed to use the spacers too because in the video he talks about the bolts being too long.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:55 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

I think we must have watched the same DIY video, the guy working on the car definitely took the spacers out, or at least that is what I took from it.

Originally Posted by D.K
I always skip on the drinks whenever working on the Porsche, but I still end up making mistakes. At least this one is easier to resolve than the bank 1 COPs not being connected after the IC install.
Oh I wasn't drinking with him, but he was there to provide moral support and drink my portion of the beer

Let's not talk about things that go wrong on IC installs.... I changed plugs/coils when I installed my ICs, however the rubber boot on the spark plug socket became stuck on the plug and I didn't know it... And reassembled everything and now have intermittent misfire and limp mode... I was thankful it was something stupid but also very annoyed with myself when I resolved it
Old 06-12-2017, 03:56 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by clsund1
Yeah, the spacers are needed for most aftermarket motor mounts. The Youtube video you probably watched (and I watched) used a different manufacturer. But I think that he actually needed to use the spacers too because in the video he talks about the bolts being too long.
I guess that is what I get for not watching it the whole way through and just skipping around to make sure it was as straight forward as I thought. Damn it.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:10 PM
D.K
Intermediate

Originally Posted by clsund1
Yep, I'm pretty sure I watched the same video. I heard him mention the bolts were too long, but that he also went out and picked up some shorter ones. Maybe I'm sensing a new DIY motor mount install video...

Oh I wasn't drinking with him, but he was there to provide moral support and drink my portion of the beer

Let's not talk about things that go wrong on IC installs.... I changed plugs/coils when I installed my ICs, however the rubber boot on the spark plug socket became stuck on the plug and I didn't know it... And reassembled everything and now have intermittent misfire and limp mode... I was thankful it was something stupid but also very annoyed with myself when I resolved it
It's always the little things that get you! I was melting my poor phone down looking for a possible root cause for the problem I started. Then it took a lot of maneuvering and hand cramps to plug those COPs back in. I may need to look into getting a spotter for the next project I decide to tackle!

Quick Reply: Motor mount assistance needed