Sponsored by:

Driving Barefoot

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 02:02 AM
champignon
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Driving Barefoot

Do you like to drive your car, especially with a manual transmission, in bare feet?

There are laws in some countries and maybe in some US States against this, and definitely, there are countries that forbid driving a car wearing Flip Flops, such as France. I personally think these laws are idiotic, and I am hard pressed to think of a reason why driving barefoot or even with flip flops, would present any sort of safety hazard. I'd be much more concerned about the floor mat, which if loose could theoretically get wedged under the pedals.

I guess that if you end up in a ditch, upside down, you might wish you were wearing sneakers and socks, but other than for that, what's the issue?

Plus, it is really cool to be driving a nice car and nonchalantly stop at a gas station in February, with snow on the ground, wearing flip flops, and fill your tank. Makes you look eccentric, and I like that.
Old 06-10-2017, 05:14 AM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

I personally go 1.5 sizes up (e.g., if you normally wear a 10.5, take a 12) on my flip flops to help with heel-toe downshifts, while retaining the eccentricity.
Old 06-10-2017, 08:11 AM
mxracer
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congratulations on being the first person on my ignore list here, chumpignon. Useless drivel.
Old 06-10-2017, 11:25 AM
champignon
Pro

Originally Posted by mxracer
Congratulations on being the first person on my ignore list here, chumpignon. Useless drivel.
I don't like to be second at anything; thanks!
Old 06-10-2017, 11:36 AM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

What about high heels?

....yeah what about high heels
Old 06-10-2017, 11:39 AM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 237 Likes on 171 Posts

Oh, my!
Old 06-10-2017, 12:18 PM
champignon
Pro

Originally Posted by Atrox
What about high heels?
There are reasons to sometimes pay over blue book; does she come with the car?
Old 06-10-2017, 12:23 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by champignon
There are reasons to sometimes pay over blue book; does she come with the car?

Im sure he would make an exception.
Old 06-10-2017, 12:26 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 237 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Atrox
Im sure he would make an exception.
lol...good one! I guess the piegon likes Brucie.
Old 06-10-2017, 12:38 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

Some reasons in Illinois why it's illegal to drive barefoot:

1 - small rocks could get stuck in the rubber brake pedal pad that could cause someone who needs to panic-stop to lift off the brake, and therefore, crash

2 - If you need to leave the vehicle in an emergency and quickly, after pulling to the side of the road or having run off the road, it might be difficult to leave if the terrain is rocky, or otherwise hostile to your bare feet

3 - Performing repairs, such as emergency tire changes, can be difficult in bare feet

There are probably other good reasons as well. Wearing flip flops is also known to be problematic because the flip flop can get lodged or stuck in the pedals, either causing the pedal to reduce its ability to fully depress (loss of braking ability), or causing the pedal to stick (unintended acceleration)

All these things in mind, a careful, thoughtful driver should be able to drive barefoot as long as they are cabable of performing full panic stops under 100% braking, and as long as you have a set of shoes quickly available in an emergency situation. That said, you probably don't want to be lacing up your shoes while your car is on fire on the side of a Ricky cliff (<0.001% likelihood).
Old 06-10-2017, 12:54 PM
Berra
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Just buy racing shoes! I have a pair of FIA approved sparco racing shoes and it's basically like driving barefoot.
Old 06-10-2017, 01:14 PM
champignon
Pro

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
Some reasons in Illinois why it's illegal to drive barefoot:

1 - small rocks could get stuck in the rubber brake pedal pad that could cause someone who needs to panic-stop to lift off the brake, and therefore, crash

2 - If you need to leave the vehicle in an emergency and quickly, after pulling to the side of the road or having run off the road, it might be difficult to leave if the terrain is rocky, or otherwise hostile to your bare feet

3 - Performing repairs, such as emergency tire changes, can be difficult in bare feet

There are probably other good reasons as well. Wearing flip flops is also known to be problematic because the flip flop can get lodged or stuck in the pedals, either causing the pedal to reduce its ability to fully depress (loss of braking ability), or causing the pedal to stick (unintended acceleration)

All these things in mind, a careful, thoughtful driver should be able to drive barefoot as long as they are cabable of performing full panic stops under 100% braking, and as long as you have a set of shoes quickly available in an emergency situation. That said, you probably don't want to be lacing up your shoes while your car is on fire on the side of a Ricky cliff (<0.001% likelihood).
There are obviously theoretical reasons why not to drive barefoot, however I have never read or heard about an accident caused by doing that.

One does observe, on a daily basis, drivers who are dangerous because of distracted driving from using electronic devices such as smart phones, eating, and conversing, while also operating a motor vehicle. Texting and activities such as that are supposedly the cause of a very high percentage of accidents today; I have seen figures of about 1/3.

This is not to mention those idiots who park themselves in the far left lane on a freeway, going several or more miles under the speed limit, who seem not to notice lots of people being forced to pass them on the right; obviously, they are not paying attention, either.

These above are frequent, dangerous activities leading to accidents. Driving barefoot must be about number 2000 on a list of causes of accidents, or of injury to people, for example, having to exit a car quickly in an emergency :-)
Old 06-10-2017, 01:19 PM
champignon
Pro

This is from the internet so you can't be completely certain that it is true, however I pulled up several similar pages with the same information on them:

https://www.reference.com/vehicles/s...289227fb0e05f#

If true, you do not need to wear shoes in Illinois or any other state in order to drive a car.

If your feet really stink, however, it may be more likely that a police officer would give you a ticket rather than just a warning :-)
Old 06-10-2017, 02:01 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,437 Posts

Originally Posted by champignon
?...Makes you look eccentric, .....
No it doesn't.
Old 06-10-2017, 02:05 PM
champignon
Pro

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
No it doesn't.
In California, no, since it is seldom out of place to wear sandals in the winter, except in the mountains.

If you are in a 4-Seasons climate in February, it does look eccentric.

Quick Reply: Driving Barefoot