Sponsored by:

R&T craps all over the 996

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 05:31 AM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
The 996 will be the only 911 ever that has a modern head light which will cause it to always standout in the 911 line. It's the red haired step child, the black sheep of the family. I kind of like that about it.
Originally Posted by TheDeckMan
Jack is a troll just as water is wet. He was banned many a time in the past from VWVortex for stirring up **** storms.

Don't feed trolls and they will die in their echo chambers.
How the hell did he worm his way into being able to write for a legit publication like R&T?! Wow, they're really lowering their standards.
Originally Posted by jumper5836
^ that was a good watch, thanks
+1 I really enjoyed that vid also. I also agree with the vlogger. I too think the 996 will later down the road be enjoyed as a collectable due to many of the reasons that purists hate(d) it. Purists hated it because:
-It was the first watercooled 911. In the future, people will point to the 996 as the 911 that launched the 911 into the modern era
-Non round headlights, Ok so 996.1's had the same headlights as the Boxster and 911 drivers were more concerned with their 70-80k car looking like the 40-50k "entry level" Boxster. But they didn't want to sound shallow, so they began saying that they just didn't like how the "fried Egg" headlights looked, even though privately, many admitted that they liked how modern they looked. Funny thing is that EVERYBODY, auto-media and private citizen alike seemed to LOVE the Turbo headlights even though they weren't round. So much so in fact, that Porsche decided to put them onto the 996.2 to better distinguish the 996 from the Boxster. For some reason, many idiot auto-journos can't seem to tell the difference and still refer to the Turbo headlights as the "fried eggs". with that negative connotation, many purists who already hated that the new 996 platform (stuck in the past and get off my lawn types) just kept complaining and saying a proper 911 should have round headlights. Though I personally love the Turbo/996.2 headlights, I do agree, the 911 should have kept the round headlights as a distinguishing feature and as we saw, they returned with the 997. Which in my opinion the front facia of the 997.1 GT3RS, is the best looking front end of any 911 to date! But I digress, because the 996 is the only generation 911 to not have round headlights, I really think long term, it'll make them more sought after than they otherwise would have been had they had round headlights.
-No Frills interior and too "Plastic". That was one of the complaints of the 996's, especially the non-turbo. Turbo's were often optioned in many leather accoutrements that made the 996 interior feel more luxurious. But in the future, I believe enthusiasts will appreciate the fantastic ergonomics of all interior controls and how you really just wear the car rather than sit in it. Also they'll look at the "spartan" interiors as "no-nonsense" and "raw" as should be in a sports car. Just look to how some people spec new 991RS's with Radio/AC delete etc. for that "Pure" sports car heritage (which actually makes me laugh. They're sports cars not race cars).

That's my take anyway.
Old 06-08-2017, 05:49 AM
Flat6Music
Pro

Received 230 Likes on 122 Posts

The guy gives the example that he was dead wrong about 914 values, then goes on to basically say through his jabberwocky filled rant, "I'm absolutely correct about 996 values, and here's why." And to further drop a lit match onto his already 100 octane soaked dunce cap, as others here have mentioned, he completely missed the GT2. That in itself is no minor oversight. I trust his judgment as much as I'd trust a well used Yugo on a cross country road trip.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:20 AM
JBsZ06
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I am a corvette guy but I love seeing the 996 on the road around here. Seriously the small 996 especially the first few years like 1999 or 2000 are pretty little sports cars. I especially like the car in silver.

Just fun to see on the highway. Puts a smile on my face..

Although I am afraid of the maintance costs I always admire the vehicle...

Prices couldn't be lower so soon enough the vehicle will begin to appreciate.

For me corvettes are more fun and they are indestructible......but that doesn't mean I can't admire the silver 1999 996 I see driving up and around bear mountain...or the seven lakes.

Sweet ride...

Hell im hearing 928s are beginning to appreciate and the cost of repairs is unbelievable,,,if you can even find an independent to work on one.

I see so many 944 s just parked and never moving...they look good but I tend to think the cost to repair is greater than the value of the vehicle...
Old 06-08-2017, 07:42 AM
Alan A
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

I didn't think it was that bad.

"996 prices aren't going up. Although I've been wrong before I don't think I am this time. Unless it's a rare one. Then they will."

Stop the presses...

The rest is normal stuff you'd hear or read here. If the damn IMSB wasn't really a problem (1-5%) why is it that every buyers guide says fix it? Does anyone think the shared boxster headlights in the early ones did it any favors? For real? Even Porsche realized they screwed up and changed them pronto.

996 snowflakes. Da bad man said a mean thing...
Old 06-08-2017, 09:30 AM
Berra
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I love all porsches! I'd be happy to have a C4S together with my Turbo but those alone are expensive as hell here in Europe, not to mention the prices of the Turbo.
Old 06-08-2017, 01:41 PM
clsund1
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

who cares what someone else thinks. As long as you/we enjoy our cars, his opinion isn't worth the paper the article is printed on. As for collectibility and valuation, I think he's going to be wrong...AGAIN.
Old 06-08-2017, 02:11 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 287 Likes on 198 Posts

I like everything about my car. The headlights, the interior, everything. I really don't understand the hate.
Old 06-08-2017, 08:28 PM
champignon
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We will all know that the 996 has arrived, when the owners stop reflexively defending it. I never paid much attention to Porsches until I started to think about buying one. If I hadn't read so many articles and postings about how ugly this car (996 series) and the headlights are, I would never have even considered that. Sure, the interior is dated, just like most any car from the era. The only thing it lacks in the interior that matters is a modern stereo with modern connectivity to smartphones, which can be easily fixed at modest cost. In exchange for it being "dated," you are not surrounded by a whole bunch of useless electronic distractions, which often crowd out stuff that does matter, like an oil temperature gauge.

I'm more impressed by what average people you meet think when it comes to a car's appearance, than I am about what automotive writers or even forum participants think. I have had more random people come up to me the last 3 weeks to compliment me on my 996TT than I have on all of my other cars combined, since I bought them.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:43 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by 911 Rod
I like everything about my car. The headlights, the interior, everything.
+1
Old 06-09-2017, 11:15 AM
Evolution
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 50 Posts

I come from a family with a long history of Porsche enthusiasts, so I'm acutely aware of the tradition, evolution, and purist philosophy. Frankly, I think the 996tt is the last 911 that retains the classic 911 experience (a nice 997 S/4S is very, very good though). It's still raw, spartan, small (compared to subsequent 911's), and devoid of gratuitous technology (especially 01-02). Yet it's capable of being driven daily, hard and can do it reliably, comfortably, and with immense satisfaction.

It's all subjective, but I absolutely celebrate the character of the 996 Turbo. I'm in love with mine.

-Joe
Attached Images    
Old 06-09-2017, 12:18 PM
docboy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A few weeks ago, I drove my 996tt to the office, and a business owner adjacent to my office thought I had a Ferrari. What do you have to say about that R&T?
Old 06-09-2017, 12:25 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by docboy
A few weeks ago, I drove my 996tt to the office, and a business owner adjacent to my office thought I had a Ferrari. What do you have to say about that R&T?
When I first showed up at work in my "new" (used) 2003 Turbo one of the owners thought I had a new Nissan.
Old 06-09-2017, 12:31 PM
Jeff_DML
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My experience the average joe thinks the 996 is a normal looking 911 and not sure how old it is. Enthusiast know it is the ugly red headed step child 996 but give mine a waiver since it is a turbo. If it was the dreaded IMS infected NA 996 then they would not.
Old 06-09-2017, 01:18 PM
mark_schnell
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He brings up an interesting point about electric cars taking over though. Maybe not in our lifetime, but it might be on the distant horizon...
Old 06-09-2017, 01:19 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by mark_schnell
He brings up an interesting point about electric cars taking over though. Maybe not in our lifetime, but it might be on the distant horizon...
Good, so maybe he'll have to get a real job then.

Quick Reply: R&T craps all over the 996