Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyno session...

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 07:13 PM
Jferrante
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts

i need to put my car on the dyne soon to see what class I will be running in...may need to make a trip to Toms River
Old 05-25-2017, 10:17 AM
Rvca3112
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by powdrhound
UMW zero clearance turbos with Cobb tuning? 1.4 bar on pump gas and stock injectors seems awfully high, doesn't sound right. I think you'd be on the ragged edge of out of fuel on the stock fuel system. Be very carefully and log the car so Sam can look it over to make sure it's safe. Running a little conservative is oftentimes the smart thing to do. I have a track friend of mine that had his car over aggressively tuned by Cobb and he blew up his turbocharger by over spinning it. It can happen. I have it on video and it's pretty spectacular as the turbine shaft separated and hurried itself several inches into the Cat on his Europipe exhaust.

As others have said, dyno numbers are meaningless unless your doing a comparison on the same dyno. Post your dyno curve. I have Kevin's zero clearance K16 and you can overlay the graph.. BTW, should have your door sills ready to ship by the weekend my friend.
sorry, i provided the wrong information. its only boosting at 1.1-1.3 bar. although that video sounds like awesome car carnage haha.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:18 AM
Rvca3112
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macster
Link doesn't work for me.

During the dyno run were air fans directed at the radiator intakes? And at the intercooler intakes?
2 fans were directed upwards to the intercoolers, nothing towards the front of the vehicle because they didn't have more than 2 fans.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:24 AM
Rvca3112
Rennlist Member

heres the graph. Sam from by design has been AMAZING to work with. Protuners in my area wanted the car for at least half a day, sam had my car running much better in less than an hour. amazing work and i can't plug him and provide him with positive feedback enough.

only reason i started this thread was because i wasn't sure if the numbers seemed right. I, as anyone with a performance car, was going for more. The dyno sheet is nothing more than a first grade report card to hang on the refrigerator. i was hoping for 475 all wheel horsepower because that would put me in the 550-560 crank horsepower area which i think would make the car that much more fun, not saying its not now. hell my face caves in on itself with a first gear mid rpm romp.
Old 05-25-2017, 12:24 PM
RDS928S
Rennlist Member

Received 677 Likes on 307 Posts

"996 gt2 intercoolers will choke it for sure..."

https://markskituning.com/product-ca.../intercoolers/

U need 3.5 or larger IC's with ur current set up. The GT2 Ic's are barely better than oem 996 IC's

Then u will se ~30 HP more. Even more with injectors. Or add .5bar FPR at least for now.

Good luck
Old 05-25-2017, 06:33 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Rvca3112
2 fans were directed upwards to the intercoolers, nothing towards the front of the vehicle because they didn't have more than 2 fans.
Ideally you would want a fan blowing into each radiator duct. And a 3rd one aimed at the center duct would be nice, too.

Then experiment with the a fan at each intercooler opening to determine what is the best fan position/orientation to maximize air flow through the intercooler.

Last but not least there is a 2nd fuse in the fuze box that when present causes the engine compartment lid fan to run all the time the engine is on. This fuse if not present should have been present and the engine compartment lid closed so the fan can do it thing.

Additionally another fan should have been positioned to blow air down and through the engine compartment to help remove any built up heat in intake system and to help keep engine compartment temperature down during the dyno run and then afterwards while the engine idled to remove the considerable heat load the the dyno run created.

Sometimes tire slippage can be a problem too but I don't really see any evidence of that in the graph.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:16 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 914 Likes on 559 Posts

Cheers bud. Graph looks clean actually. I should have asked you to log the dyno runs. We will keep on it. Soon some IC's and more smiles! We will do the best we can on a 5bar.

Another cool thing we can do next time is try stage 0 and the old tune before mine with logs for comparison. That is one of the many great things about the Cobb AP!

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - CSF - IPD Plenums - DO88 - dodsonmotorsport

310-600-1850 - sam@bydesignauto.com
Old 07-27-2017, 04:35 PM
stv951
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 9 Posts

I also went on a Dynojet dyno last month
Results were quite interesting with 630whp at 1.4 bar but torque was an unreal 91 kg.... Strange results. It seems as hese two nunbers are not close
Any comments on this ?
Old 07-27-2017, 06:17 PM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by stv951
Results were quite interesting with 630whp at 1.4 bar but torque was an unreal 91 kg.... Strange results. It seems as hese two nunbers are not close
Any comments on this ?
Can you post the graphs?
Old 07-27-2017, 08:21 PM
buffalosojah
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by stv951
Any comments on this ?
What is your turbo and engine setup?
Old 07-28-2017, 09:01 AM
NoogaSparrow
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

is it me or does it seem the torque falls off too early when it should be holding pretty steady after 3500rpm?
I feel like most of the ones I've seen hold torque pretty solid and don't drop like yours seems to.. could be due to boost spike?
Old 07-28-2017, 01:26 PM
Rvca3112
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NoogaSparrow
is it me or does it seem the torque falls off too early when it should be holding pretty steady after 3500rpm?
I feel like most of the ones I've seen hold torque pretty solid and don't drop like yours seems to.. could be due to boost spike?
yeah it does kinda fall off doesn't it? The car feels very fast overall, again just hoping the numbers were better so I could put it on the fridge with a gold star to make me feel better.
Old 07-28-2017, 02:41 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,707 Likes on 995 Posts

Originally Posted by Rvca3112
yeah it does kinda fall off doesn't it? The car feels very fast overall, again just hoping the numbers were better so I could put it on the fridge with a gold star to make me feel better.
There is nothing wrong with your dyno graph. Your torque curve looks perfectly normal for K16s and pretty much mirrors mine in the dyno below. Next time have them run the engine to redline so you see how it does up top. Looks like they shut it down at 6300 with room to go as I would imagine you have a standard 7000 tuner redline.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/VxTfiS]

Quick Reply: Dyno session...