Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 996 Turbo Upgrade Stereo or keep it Stock?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 01:14 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by champignon
Where did you get the screensaver, and how did you load it into the head unit? Inquiring minds want to know!!
google image finder - Save to a file then load the .jpg file
Old 05-26-2017, 01:21 PM
champignon
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by scout013
I'm selling Porsche LOGO screen savers for $87.99 each. For $55.00 more I will mail it to you in an envelope.
For an additional $450.00 I will include a 9 Volt battery with Very detailed speaker wiring instructions, PLUS My own book called "How to wire Porsche speakers for Dummies, Porsche speaker wiring and how it's Positively so much harder than regular other car speaker wiring".
Sorry it's a long title.
cheers
That's Great!!! I'll take 3 of each!

Please send to Donald J. Trump, 1600 PA Avenue, Washington, DC

Please charge to my Visa Card # 4567 8901 1234 5678, exp. 2/2022, security code 987

Thanks!
Old 05-27-2017, 09:16 AM
joehonee
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I upgraded my head unit on my 03 TT a couple of months ago. Used the MOST adapter sold by Ali Express (https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...708723316.html), bought the trim kit from Suncoast, and used a new Blaupunkt double din unit. Pretty inexpensive and best of all 100% reversible back to stock. You do have to cut the plastic radio support but ebay is filthy with replacement pieces.

The Blaupunkt unit is matte black and blends in nicely. The only negative is the white illumination of the volume ****. I may open the unit up and see if I can kill the light.

Bluetooth clarity is tough because of the noisy cockpit but I can hear the person on the other end just fine.
The following users liked this post:
michaelgsmiles (07-09-2019)
Old 05-27-2017, 11:55 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 767 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Joseph Caruso
Will I be able to fine a disc under 300.00 or is it best to upgrade it with an Alpine or some other brand?
I suggest keeping it stock.
Old 05-27-2017, 12:15 PM
Third-Reef
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 115 Posts

I have a dbl DIN Pioneer and i have loaded a custom screen image onto it that is a tasteful Porsche crest. Most everyone that gets into my car think it is the stock "Nice Porsche" radio/nav. Does not look out of place at all. Even though it does say Pioneer. My bluetooth phone works great even though i have considerable drone, the wife doesn't hear any noise on the other end unless i have the windows down and am at freeway speeds. When i was researching head units i read that the pioneer have some sort of filtering on the BT microphone that works well
Old 05-27-2017, 12:45 PM
champignon
Pro

Originally Posted by Dock
I suggest keeping it stock.
I think this is a good idea for a low mileage trophy type car, or certainly not doing anything that can't be put back to stock.

My car has 76K miles and rising; whatever is done to the audio system will have no effect on resale value :-)
michaelgsmiles (07-09-2019)
Old 05-27-2017, 12:48 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I think this is a good idea for a low mileage trophy type car, or certainly not doing anything that can't be put back to stock.

My car has 76K miles and rising; whatever is done to the audio system will have no effect on resale value :-)
My suggestion wasn't based on anything to do with resale value.
Old 05-27-2017, 12:57 PM
champignon
Pro

Originally Posted by xmaciek82x
Ken,

Depends on your budget. Many 996tt owners have deeper pockets then me so my audio upgrade was on a budget. Extremely satisfied with the results. The OEM audio was TERRIBLE (my oem amp had 2 blown channels), I was not looking to get top of the line audiophile sound quality, I was just looking for a good upgrade to what came with the car.

- Amp is Soundstream PN5.640D Picasso Nano (thanks Vogz for the recommendation)
- I am an android user, so double din options were limited to what is supported by Android Auto, Sony XAV-AX100 came out right in time
- 3 RCA cables were bought from amazon
- Double din kit is from Suncoast, don't bother with any other kit, trust me just buy this https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/9X6DDIN.html
- stock Bose speakers

I know people complain about the stock Bose speakers, but after you upgrade the amp and head unit, the stock speakers are x5 better. I have no plans to upgrade them.

Let me know if you have other questions.
Thanks very much for these suggestions. I have ordered exactly what you installed, above. Although I could afford to go with a more expensive amp, my usage of the car (very intermittent, and never in the winter) doesn't merit going whole-hog on this. I have seen the Sony unit you refer to installed in a '99 911, and I liked it. What I need is acceptable stereo quality combined with good BT phone functionality.

My follow up question is where everything is located for the install. Obviously, the head unit is in the dash, however the installation videos I have seen for audio upgrades in Porsches reference the amp being in the trunk (frunk), but I have yet to find an install video or writeup for the fiber optic MOST system cars. Assuming that the amp is still in the trunk, is it a straight shot there from the dash to the amp? Is installing the amp, physically, any challenge at all, or does it just go into the space occupied by the old amp?

Finally, the RCA cables you used; how long do they need to be?

Thanks very much!

ken
Old 05-27-2017, 01:01 PM
champignon
Pro

My suggestion wasn't based on anything to do with resale value.
I believe in keeping nice cars stock, for the most part, although my (new to me) 966 Porsche has some modifications. And I can see where one could conclude that the very dated Porsche audio systems coming with our cars fit into the overall "ambiance" of the cars; they certainly look like they belong there, whereas any more modern looking stereo, especially a double DIN unit with a large screen, will look a bit like it "doesn't belong."

In the end it depends on how much your car represents a period statement, or a piece of automotive history, to you, and how much you value modern conveniences such as cellphone integration and Android Auto.
Old 05-27-2017, 03:40 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

And I can see where one could conclude that the very dated Porsche audio systems coming with our cars fit into the overall "ambiance" of the cars...
That's saying that the overall ambiance of the 996 Turbo is dated. I don't subscribe to that opinion.

Although I rarely turn it on, my stock audio system produces good sound.

In the end it depends on how much your car represents a period statement, or a piece of automotive history...
Right.
Old 05-27-2017, 03:45 PM
champignon
Pro

That's saying that the overall ambiance of the 996 Turbo is dated. I don't subscribe to that opinion.

Although I rarely turn it on, my stock audio system produces good sound.

Right.
Most people would regard the overall ambiance, or shall we say the interior ambiance, of the 996 to be VERY dated.

I happen to like some dated things, but dated, it is.
Old 05-27-2017, 04:03 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I happen to like some dated things, but dated, it is.
It is a subjective assessment. I don't consider it dated at all.

Looking at the interiors of the vehicles at this year's Atlanta Auto Show, I saw only one or two examples that looked as good as the 996 Turbo interior. The majority of the vehicles had a smorgasbord of design elements, each element many times bad in its own right, but when viewed as a whole the elements represented a horrible interior. In all but a few examples, the sight lines from the driver's seat were poor, and often the ergonomics were bad. The materials used, and the fit and finish, paled in comparison to the 996 Turbo in all but a few examples.

IMO, the 996 Turbo has a functional and minimalist interior that flows beautifully.
Old 05-27-2017, 04:17 PM
champignon
Pro

It is a subjective assessment. I don't consider it dated at all.

Looking at the interiors of the vehicles at this year's Atlanta Auto Show, I saw only one or two examples that looked as good as the 996 Turbo interior. The majority of the vehicles had a smorgasbord of design elements, each element many times bad in its own right, but when viewed as a whole the elements represented a horrible interior. In all but a few examples, the sight lines from the driver's seat were poor, and often the ergonomics were bad. The materials used, and the fit and finish, paled in comparison to the 996 Turbo in all but a few examples.

IMO, the 996 Turbo has a functional and minimalist interior that flows beautifully.
Many, or should I say almost all, modern cars leave me cold. They have dead electric power steering, often no choice of a manual transmission, and other than power have nothing to offer that would make me label them as "sports cars." Cabin electronics have taken over the interior for the sole purpose, it seems, of the "wow" factor. One can compare the clean interior of say the BMW 1M, especially one without the Navigation option, to the 2M and see exactly what I mean; I much prefer the 1M, and in fact I own one.

There are some modern features that I do find add to the experience of being in a modern car. These include a modern audio system that can play MP3 files, and has bluetooth connectivity for smartphones. I don't find these things to be detrimental, rather they are additive, in my view. Fortunately, these sorts of things can be added to older cars, such as a 996, by an audio system swap, which is after all the subject of this thread!
Old 05-27-2017, 04:49 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Many, or should I say almost all, modern cars leave me cold. They have dead electric power steering, often no choice of a manual transmission, and other than power have nothing to offer that would make me label them as "sports cars." Cabin electronics have taken over the interior for the sole purpose, it seems, of the "wow" factor.
I totally agree.

There are some modern features that I do find add to the experience of being in a modern car. These include a modern audio system that can play MP3 files, and has bluetooth connectivity for smartphones. I don't find these things to be detrimental, rather they are additive, in my view.
I consider these things to be a part of, as you stated above, the "electronics have taken over the interior", if not always physically, then at least sometimes mentally (mentally as in dependence on these things).

My audio system has good AM and FM, and plays my CD's with no problem. I keep my phone in my pocket the majority of the time when driving, and I try not to talk on the phone via Bluetooth when in my one vehicle that has that system.

In terms of sports cars, I embrace the "minimalist" approach in terms of interior tech. I enjoy getting away from audio and visual (NAV) distractions. On the other hand, some people can't seem to live without them in their sports car(s).
Old 05-27-2017, 05:25 PM
Hosewater2
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many, or should I say almost all, modern cars leave me cold. They have dead electric power steering, often no choice of a manual transmission, and other than power have nothing to offer that would make me label them as "sports cars." Cabin electronics have taken over the interior for the sole purpose, it seems, of the "wow" factor. One can compare the clean interior of say the BMW 1M, especially one without the Navigation option, to the 2M and see exactly what I mean; I much prefer the 1M, and in fact I own one.

There are some modern features that I do find add to the experience of being in a modern car. These include a modern audio system that can play MP3 files, and has bluetooth connectivity for smartphones. I don't find these things to be detrimental, rather they are additive, in my view. Fortunately, these sorts of things can be added to older cars, such as a 996, by an audio system swap, which is after all the subject of this thread!
MP3s? What media do you have those on? I would be happy with a black faceplate and volume **** with Bluetooth for streaming music (and the rare time I need navigation guidance) from my iPhone. Which is why I kept the stock CDR220 and added the Bluetooth dongle to the back of it.
radaray58 (05-10-2022)

Quick Reply: 2004 996 Turbo Upgrade Stereo or keep it Stock?