Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fully Built Transmission With Freed Performance

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 03:13 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 130 Posts

When you posted $7-8k for the rebuild initially, I thought you may have left out some parts, or maybe had a synchro/bearing tree in your yard.

My hope of a $7-8k rebuild quickly vanished when I realized hard parts can eclipse that much unless you're not truly rebuilding the trans or doing any improvements.

My post has a picture of most the items I replaced/upgraded:
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...on-cooler.html
Attached Images  
Old 05-19-2017, 03:22 PM
996tt6156R
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I was hoping that much lol but just the GTRS gears and GT3 straight cut gears and billet main shaft, upgraded forks, all new bearings and piñon somewhere at 15,000.00 with labor. Then twin clutch on top of that.

Freed is doing an amazing job but I will not have time to break in anything before the event tomorrow which is not good and not worth messing something up.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:43 PM
996tt6156R
Instructor

Well my old clutch looks great. If anyone is interested.
Attached Images    
Old 05-20-2017, 12:01 AM
996tt6156R
Instructor

https://www.instagram.com/freed_performance/

You can see the gears in the link above.

These guys finished and we have tested out the trans and it works perfectly. Yes here is a slight high pitch sound in 3rd thru 5th but it's isn't bad at all. So looks like we're going to North Carolina to run the car. Pretty excited on this after weeks of work Sean and Matt had to do.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:17 PM
996tt6156R
Instructor

Well bad news we blew the motor on first pass. Not sure how the heck that happened but we have oil and coolant that sprayed everywhere on bank 2 by the heads. Bank 1 looks bone dry. Right now engine is hydro locked probably because of the coolant in the cylinders. Sounds like a lifter or lifted the heads at 27.3psi Pretty much sucks but good news I took off the oil filter and didn't see anything bad in there and no busted engine block as far as I can see tho I did see milkshake in the oil cap. I ran 146.12mph in the quarter then at 6k rpm in 5th white smoke pours out and engine shut off. I hope the rods are ok we're going to build a monster here asap since the motor has to be taken apart.

The trans worked way better I was able to bang the gears with no issues also I love the new twin disc.

I would say we hit the limit of these 10mm studs at 900awhp and 850awtq.

Thank you to the boys at Topspeed motorsports for towing the car for us.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:37 AM
32krazy!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 996tt6156R
Well bad news we blew the motor on first pass. Not sure how the heck that happened but we have oil and coolant that sprayed everywhere on bank 2 by the heads. Bank 1 looks bone dry. Right now engine is hydro locked probably because of the coolant in the cylinders. Sounds like a lifter or lifted the heads at 27.3psi Pretty much sucks but good news I took off the oil filter and didn't see anything bad in there and no busted engine block as far as I can see tho I did see milkshake in the oil cap. I ran 146.12mph in the quarter then at 6k rpm in 5th white smoke pours out and engine shut off. I hope the rods are ok we're going to build a monster here asap since the motor has to be taken apart.

The trans worked way better I was able to bang the gears with no issues also I love the new twin disc.

I would say we hit the limit of these 10mm studs at 900awhp and 850awtq.

Thank you to the boys at Topspeed motorsports for towing the car for us.
Its almost like someone tried to tell you about this.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:13 AM
996tt6156R
Instructor

Yeah I know now I got to see where the damage is. For it to hydro lock can't be good lol. I don't understand why only the right bank 2 has oil all over the head and coolant.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:24 AM
996tt6156R
Instructor

It blew going into 5th gear but 4th sounded weird tho. First test pass going very slow out of the hole with only 200miles on the new built trans.

At .06 seconds you can see the white smoke after I shifted.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:39 AM
32krazy!
Rennlist Member

It blew going into 5th gear but 4th sounded weird tho. First test pass going very slow out of the hole with only 200miles on the new built trans.

At .06 seconds you can see the white smoke after I shifted.
So to recap you fully built the motor spent maybe 30k$ 3 sets of turbos less than 5k total miles on the build never made a full complete pass less than 1000 hp and blew it up.
You should ask chuck to let you back on 6so so you could apologize to all the guys you ragged on about their builds going south or what they couldnt accomplish.

That karma is a real biatch huh?
Old 05-21-2017, 09:46 AM
996tt6156R
Instructor

Any car can blow up at anytime. Todds blew up after racing many years. My motor has been threw racing at a lot of events for years with the 10mm studs. Just like your build you haven't got it right and your trans wasn't built correct. **** happens now I build it to the max I can go with the new heads and cams we're getting from Protomotive rev it out to 8k rpm and I'm going with different rods and a 3.8 liter.

I have made multiple complete passes just never with higher boost. The last pass I made even though I coasted 50 feet from the finish line when my trans broke at Clayton ga I still did 172.94 which is way faster then u have ever ran. Lol so please don't talk to me about building motors when your car is still down for 2 years.

Carrillo rods not sure on pistons yet.
12mm studs
Gt3 oil pump
Cams re grinded by protomotive
Upgraded valves, retainers, valve seals.
Gt3 intakes
Possible 3.8 liter
Already have the fueling completed.
New timing chains and tensioners.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:54 AM
32krazy!
Rennlist Member

Any car can blow up at anytime. Todds blew up after racing many years. My motor has been threw racing at a lot of events for years with the 10mm studs. Just like your build you haven't got it right and your trans wasn't built correct. **** happens now I build it to the max I can go with the new heads and cams we're getting from Protomotive rev it out to 8k rpm and I'm going with different rods and a 3.8 liter.

I have made multiple complete passes just never with higher boost. The last pass I made even though I coasted 50 feet from the finish line when my trans broke at Clayton ga I still did 172.94 which is way faster then u have ever ran. Lol so please don't talk to me about building motors when your car is still down for 2 years.
So you made 3 passes on this current build. 100 mph 138 mph and 172 which broke the trans. First pass on sat it blew. How is that a complete pass?

The last 1/2 mile in clayton 2016 you ran out of fuel never made a full boost pass. So exactly what full pass did you make?

Maybe you can explain how going bigger will work better when you havent dialed in the current build before it blew.

So you made 3 passes on this current build. 100 mph 138 mph and 172 which broke the trans. First pass on sat it blew. How is that a complete pass?

The last 1/2 mile in clayton 2016 you ran out of fuel never made a full boost pass. So exactly what full pass did you make?

Maybe you can explain how going bigger will work better when you havent dialed in the current build before it blew.

I refrained from commenting on any of your threads or telling the folks here how and why you dont post on 6so. Seeing this result has made my day knowing no matter how much money you toss at this you still have no clue how to make a car run properly. You made my entire day!!

Have fun with the next build should be a huge laugh
Old 05-21-2017, 10:02 AM
996tt6156R
Instructor

It's racing **** blows. 4 cars already blew there cars at North Carolina maybe more. If you think your motor is going to take abuse and something not happen this is not true.

3 passes? Dude my motor has been built for awhile now. I have tons of passes with the 16g billets on the built motor. Then I started to change out the turbos but ran into fuel issues. The 100mph pass was when my hose blew off on the right intercooler in the middle of the run so I slowed down since I had no boost. These turbos I have on here were to much for the build I had in here so now I need to upgrade again. Even the 173mph pass I didn't even go pass 27psi I was supposed to go to 30psi at least but the times half of the day on Saturday didn't work but still managed to run 140+ mph quarter mile times. Which for me at that starting out boost was great mph it shows how well the turbos are working.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:06 AM
32krazy!
Rennlist Member

According to wannagofast the timeslip issue was only 1 hr in length before being fixed

Were are you getting 12 mm studs from?
Old 05-21-2017, 10:15 AM
996tt6156R
Instructor

No that is not true bro. It was all day times were working then not. It was after lunch all day when the times stopped I was sitting in the sponsor starting lane for 40 min delay and times still didn't work after we ran. So that is false and everyone that was there can vouch for that. Sean Freed ran the next hour after lunch and his times didn't work also. The cause was the version 10 software didn't work on the time machines and they had to switch it after Saturday's event was done.

SRM Sean

Already talked to him about the studs. Heck I might send him the new ported heads to get the studs drilled out. I want this done fast for the next event.

Racing is racing when u go out there you never know what will happen I enjoyed it and love the news gear box Freed built. I was hoping to run fast times here and turn up the boost but that failed and now it has to be torn apart. I don't know the damage yet I didn't here any bad noises or any metal shavings in the filter.

Here's the video of the hose popped off. 139mph quarter mile at 25psi

Old 05-21-2017, 02:52 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,128 Posts

In case you end up needing a replacement crank I have one in like new condition out of a stock engine.

Quick Reply: Fully Built Transmission With Freed Performance