Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultimate Motorwerks Rear Wing Lift Cylinder Repair Kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 06:05 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

I think we need to stop feeding the troll, and stop hijacking Kevin's thread.

Have some class, new guy. We're all up for some contentious discussion, but that's enough hijacking threads and being disrespectful. There are a lot of folks here with impressive resumes, and extensive experience with other marques. They don't feel the need to rub it in your face. In fact, it's one of my favorite things about the Porsche enthusiast community -- the humility and respect. There's always someone faster, richer, with a nicer car(s). We all appreciate what everyone brings to the table, and share the same passion.

On topic: I bled my spoiler system this past weekend, and the dash warning light is finally gone. I still see some wetness around the rams, though, so I'll be in the market, Kevin.
Old 05-30-2017, 06:06 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by manimal
I think we need to stop feeding the troll, and stop hijacking Kevin's thread.

Have some class, new guy.

On topic: I bled my spoiler system this past weekend, and the dash warning light is finally gone. I still see some wetness around the rams, though, so I'll be in the market, Kevin.

Agree I'm interested as well. Pulled my fuse as rebleed only lasted a year before failure.
Old 05-30-2017, 06:36 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,442 Posts

Originally Posted by champignon
Is this just your posting style, or is this how you present yourself in real life?
This is real life.

Let me guess, you a millennial?
Old 05-30-2017, 06:48 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 237 Likes on 171 Posts

How to Win Friends & Influence People

This is a good read and it may help you here:

Amazon Amazon
Old 05-30-2017, 07:25 PM
champignon
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Honestly, I think groupthink is really unfortunate. I make it very clear what I think I know and what I don't know. And there is a lot about Porsche automobiles that I do not know.

At the same time, just repeating the same things over and over again, without any sort of real proof, does not constitute evidence. Unfortunately, the entire concept of "science" and provable research has taken an enormous hit in this era of politically motivated science such as what is going on regarding "climate change," and what passes for medical research in the current era of gaming the system as done by the pharmaceutical companies. So I guess we can regard your regurgitated information as "settled science," to quote a recent former US president.

I will say one thing for the BMW enthusiast community, at least if this particular thread is representative. They question things and don't tend to accept common knowledge as "fact," at least not as much as I am seeing here.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:29 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Jesus Christ man, what is your point? What exactly are you "questioning"?

You need to do some more reading, and less posting. There is plenty of debate on the merits around here, if you choose to find it/participate.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:35 PM
champignon
Pro

You need to do some more reading, and less posting. There is plenty of debate on the merits around here, if you choose to find it/participate.
Maybe we should just agree to disagree, and ignore each other. I'd be fine with that.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:06 PM
gophaster
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I for one am happy that we have Dave's Rennkit and Kevin's/UMW new option in the pipes as choices for those that want to retain the functionality of one of the systems on our cars. I prefer to have them ALL working properly Luckily my stock setup is working perfectly (rams were replaced with brand new Porsche OEM about 4 years ago) (knocks on wood).

A few years ago I had considered switching to a GT2 rear decklid but if I did that I also wanted to do the GT2 front bumper...turns out installing a GT2 front bumper and making it function how it's supposed to is quite complicated and expensive. I have zero issue with folks wanting to do the GT2 aero for looks only (I love how it looks!!). Just for me personally I'd rather go with the stock setup since I know for sure it works.

If someone was willing to do as much testing and research as Porsche did to prove that some other setup or lack of setup worked better I'm all for it but until then I want my stock parts to all be working properly

There is a thread that discusses just a bit about the GT2 aero VS TT aero and mix-matching parts here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...ownforces.html
Old 05-30-2017, 08:27 PM
Atrox
Drifting

just read the other threads he has started and you will get a clearer picture.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:32 PM
champignon
Pro

Originally Posted by gophaster
I for one am happy that we have Dave's Rennkit and Kevin's/UMW new option in the pipes as choices for those that want to retain the functionality of one of the systems on our cars. I prefer to have them ALL working properly Luckily my stock setup is working perfectly (rams were replaced with brand new Porsche OEM about 4 years ago) (knocks on wood).

A few years ago I had considered switching to a GT2 rear decklid but if I did that I also wanted to do the GT2 front bumper...turns out installing a GT2 front bumper and making it function how it's supposed to is quite complicated and expensive. I have zero issue with folks wanting to do the GT2 aero for looks only (I love how it looks!!). Just for me personally I'd rather go with the stock setup since I know for sure it works.

If someone was willing to do as much testing and research as Porsche did to prove that some other setup or lack of setup worked better I'm all for it but until then I want my stock parts to all be working properly

There is a thread that discusses just a bit about the GT2 aero VS TT aero and mix-matching parts here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...ownforces.html
Thanks for the link to the other thread, which is interesting, however poses as many questions as it answers and is not really definitive as it pertains to someone driving these cars on public roads at "semi-legal" speeds.

I am personally not a big fan of mods, and avoid doing most of them on my cars. I am in the process of violating that a bit with a BMW 135i that I own with some simple suspension mods that would fit the definition of "stock" on some related but higher performance BMW vehicles.

The 996 Turbo that I purchased had already been modded; generally, I avoid modded cars, but the overall package of this car was sufficiently attractive that I went with it. One then gets to aesthetics; I can definitely see where some people would find this GT2 wing to be either ugly or out of place on a 996 Turbo on which it is not stock, at least to their eyes. Personally speaking, it doesn't bother me, although I can't say that I definitely prefer it to the stock spoiler, which I do have in my possession. What this means is that while I probably would not have done this mod, I don't necessarily feel that I must undo it.

As to the original hydraulic design of the spoiler system, that obviously has not withstood the test of time, since failures are rampant. This is not the only poorly designed aspect of these cars; one only need examine the repair bills that accompanied the vehicle that I bought to realize that this is a fact, these repairs being commonly needed on this vehicle. Nonetheless, these cars are extremely cool and lots of fun to drive, which is why we own them.

It is obviously a good thing that the electrical spoiler lift system has been designed and is available for a very reasonable cost, and also should presumably be much more reliable than the stock system. The raising of the spoiler up and down is a very cool feature, fun to watch, and something I have seen in videos. I have no doubt that in high speed and track use, the spoiler has at least some real functionality. People wanting to have this system functioning within their cars is certainly understandable, in that no one NEEDS to own a 996 Turbo, and everyone will define for themselves what it is that they get out of this ownership. Hobby expenses need not be justified.

At the same time, the idea that these sorts of minor aerodynamic adjustments when a street legal car is driven at normal, close to legal speeds, on public roads, simply does not pass the sniff test; one does not need to be an aeronautical engineer to appreciate that fact. I would suggest that the many different sorts and brands of tires that people put onto these cars, whether advised by the MFR or not, have much more of an impact at normal speeds than whether or not there is a functioning spoiler and whether or not it deploys.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:32 PM
champignon
Pro

Originally Posted by Atrox
just read the other threads he has started and you will get a clearer picture.
Thank you for taking such an interest in me and my posts; I do appreciate it.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:56 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

I've got a pretty good picture, and I'm trying hard not to lump it in with other BMW enthusiasts in the same way that he likes to lump Porsche enthusiasts together.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:00 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Originally Posted by champignon
Thank you for taking such an interest in me and my posts; I do appreciate it.

Dont get interest mistaken for annoyance I've seen to many of your pompous uneducated posts to ignore.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:00 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

And not to encourage anything irresponsible/dangerous/illegal -- but if you're never going above 90+ mph, I'm confused as to why you would be driving a 996TT. Second gear runs out pretty fast.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:36 PM
SeabrookPorsche
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Kevin,

I am interested in your product. My driver side hydro is weeping, however no failure or failure light yet... On my last Turbo it was leaking as well on the same side and the spoiler would not go up all the way on the driver side.

Thanks again for posting and apologies for all this other back an forth on your thread.

Quick Reply: Ultimate Motorwerks Rear Wing Lift Cylinder Repair Kit