Kevin, Markski and Sam's opinions on this subject PUBLICLY ‼️
Old 05-03-2017, 03:17 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 917 Likes on 560 Posts

I will jump on this grenade lol!

I have great respect for Kevin and Markski. I think between us we cover customer service pretty well and you will find pretty much only good things said about all of us. So you have several options which is great! I personally work with most everyone and can provide various tuning solutions as I have for over 20 years now. In the past several years I have built a great relationship with Cobb as I saw it's offerings and how much people wanted it. It is a pretty capable tool and allows up to do anything we want cleanly form 480hp all the up. Simple for the end user to use. Even after tuning it can be used as a diagnostic tool, performance meter, data logger and even a gauge pod with shift lights. The AP's come with several fine tuned maps for several fuel and stages out of the box. As for customization, ultimately it's up to the tuner as mentioned to get you what you need out of your car (if that is custom) and meet your goals.

Best,
Sam

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - CSF - IPD Plenums - DO88 - dodsonmotorsport

310-600-1850 - sam@bydesignauto.com
Old 05-03-2017, 03:25 PM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Gt3stig
Sure would be nice to hear
Kevin, Markski and Sam's opinions on this subject PUBLICLY ‼️
Doubt they will as there is no use as most threads like that end up as a **** show due to members tending to trade shots. Hopefully on here the level headedness is much better.

Personally I chose Kevin due to building a car that will eventually spend the rest of its life at the track doing DE events. When I bought it, it had another tune on it which I personally did not like the power delivery and that it ran over the compressor efficiency.

Kevin's support is one of the greatest personally experienced and often will help you not only go in the right direction but also on how to ensure your money is not wasted on things that are not really beneficial to the direction of the build. Chatting with him on the phone is always a great time due to his sheer wealth and knowledge about these cars.

Sam and Markski also are very supportive of the community on an every day basis. The biggest thing is to find the tuner that provides the support you will need.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:12 PM
Gt3stig
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
I will jump on this grenade lol!

I have great respect for Kevin and Markski. I think between us we cover customer service pretty well and you will find pretty much only good things said about all of us. So you have several options which is great! I personally work with most everyone and can provide various tuning solutions as I have for over 20 years now. In the past several years I have built a great relationship with Cobb as I saw it's offerings and how much people wanted it. It is a pretty capable tool and allows up to do anything we want cleanly form 480hp all the up. Simple for the end user to use. Even after tuning it can be used as a diagnostic tool, performance meter, data logger and even a gauge pod with shift lights. The AP's come with several fine tuned maps for several fuel and stages out of the box. As for customization, ultimately it's up to the tuner as mentioned to get you what you need out of your car (if that is custom) and meet your goals.

Best,
Sam
👍👍👍🍺🍺🍺👍👍👍
way to go Sam!
Old 05-03-2017, 09:54 PM
sinking
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 42 Posts

One benefit to the Cobb tune that no one mentions is it can be used on up to three cars (not at the same time) so that means you can sell it if you sell the car and return it to stock.

I believe every other tuning option is 100% tied to the VIN forever so once you've installed it on your car it is sunk money.

Using the Cobb AP with fine tuning by Sam is very easy. I originally bought the Cobb AP when it first came out a couple years ago and he is still reviewing my logs when I add new parts (like this week).

I will say the OTS Cobb tune was pretty disappointing compared to the EPL tune I had before, so if you get the Cobb definitely purchase it from someone like Sam who can dial your car in beyond the OTS tune.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:12 AM
Drinaldis
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

OP, asking this kind of question in an open forum is troll bait. Many folks comment when they don't have direct personal experience with more than one tuner. Some do however. If you want honest opinions rephrase your question and converse via PM.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:57 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

Can't go wrong with Sam, Kevin, Markski, all great at what they do and stand behind their stuff
To throw another torch in the fire, also consider EPL (Tony) tuning...very effective and consistent, and tailored to your preferences...I've put on a 'high duty-cycle' 50000km (daily driven and track) so far with it with great results
Cheers,
Old 05-04-2017, 02:00 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

+1, generally the case.... also come across a number of cars that aren't truly properly running but provide a power surge which makes the owner's happy....

Originally Posted by Drinaldis
OP, asking this kind of question in an open forum is troll bait. Many folks comment when they don't have direct personal experience with more than one tuner. Some do however. If you want honest opinions rephrase your question and converse via PM.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:52 AM
mxracer
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PM me if you want an opinion/data from someone who has (yes currently) both.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:00 AM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 233 Posts

Great post Sam

Originally Posted by Drinaldis

Just my 2 cents.
Generally this is the case with the forums in the past, however there is no winning on the internet so talking about the required support that you will need for a build is a good topic instead. Over in the VW/Audi forums that is a total different story when it comes to mud slinging contest of cheaper getting cheaper all the time but at the cost of quality customer support.

Good other suggestion as well Rob with Tony at EPL. Another one would be Eurodyne with Maestro which converts all the mapping to a standalone style interface.

I run Maestro on both my Audi TT's and have messed with every tune under the sun for those cars. What I needed there was to be un-hooked from the reliance of tuners which in that community after you buy something they vanish into thin air if you need adjustments/support. However in the 911 Turbo community we have wonderful support from these vendors which allow time to be allocated elsewhere.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:58 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 305 Likes on 211 Posts

We live in a time where there are "great" options for tuning our cars.. With many options available from various tuners. I have enjoyed making friends and trying to give folk driving excitement over the many years.

I would request that everyone that is interested in tuning or hardware upgrades reach out to me. Pick the phone up and call.. Give me your wish list and what you want to do with your car. I will give you options.

Please contact me kevin@ultimatemotorwerks.com or call 360.805-9066
Old 05-04-2017, 04:35 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

cant see the forest for the trees. use the original gangster tuner for a stock dme. the guy who was tuning porsches for power before most of the tuners nowadays knew what a porsche was.

todd knighton at protomotive
Old 05-04-2017, 06:35 PM
Berra
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

RS-Tuning or ES Motor? Sportec?
Old 05-04-2017, 09:00 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

seeing aside which tune is the latest/greatest ( whatever ) for these cars. who provides the tune and the support is as important if not even moreso, as the tune itself, given many owners tune/tweak and then, at the very least add bolt on's etc, as they continue their slide down the "slope".

so, lets for arguments sake say, that sam/kevin/todd/markski and tony's tunes are all virtually equal ( anyone yet re-invent the wheel?! ) as a given.

the three you'll be able to reach at a moments notice for advice/help/support are sam ( cobb etc ) and kevin ( umw ) and markski.

all else, presumably, being +/- equal.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:37 AM
mxracer
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mxracer
PM me if you want an opinion/data from someone who has (yes currently) both.
I quoted myself here to clarify. This is not some "back alley", "hey I'll give you the real ****" if you PM me.

It's just a matter of not getting into a pissing match.

I have NOTHING bad to say about either Kevin nor Sam nor their products. I just figured sharing the data/opinion I have in private with someone who is actually looking for that was better than throwing it out on the "inter-web" and having it skewed 9 ways to Sunday.

Again, I repeat, it's nothing bad, no **** talking, nothing like that, just my opinion after using both.

Quick Reply: Tune, Cobb vs UMW