LED 3rd Brake Light Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 10:01 PM
MotoJB
Three Wheelin'

Received 592 Likes on 332 Posts
Default LED 3rd Brake Light Issue

Hi fellas,

Hoping some can help, without this thread possibly descending into the normal polarized and snide'ish mishmash of opinions about LED tail lights... I know some like them and some hate them. All good.

Anyhow, I have a 2001 996tt and it came with a LED 3rd brake light, installed by the previous owner.

I just installed LED tail lights to go with it...and after installing the LED tail lights, the 3rd brake light doesn't work.

At first, I installed one LED tail light (along with the standard OEM tail light on the other side) to compare the two and the 3rd brake light was working. After installing the 2nd LED tail light, nada...the 3rd brake light won't work. I put ONE OEM tail light back on and the 3rd brake wouldn't work that time. Not sure why it worked when one LED brake light was on originally and the 2nd time it wouldn't work.

I reinstalled BOTH OEM tail lights and tada! The LED 3rd brake light is working again. Weird.

I again installed the LED tail lights...and once more, the LED 3rd brake light won't light up. I even tried reversing the wires on the 3rd brake light (suggestion from a vendor - and that didn't work either).

I'm at a loss as to what this could be. Anyone have any thoughts here?

Quick Reply: LED 3rd Brake Light Issue