Sponsored by:

GT2 12" wheel issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 11:36 PM
korina
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT2 12" wheel issue

Hello all. Long time lurker and first time poster here. I've done the search thing on multiple forums and I have conflicting or contradictory info. I know somewhere here has been down this road and has the answer I need. I have an 01 turbo. I've removed the front diff and installed the stubs. I'm going down the GT2 conversion road and I bought a set of wheels and tires. The rears are 12x18 OZ Alleggerita and the ET is 51. The tires are Michelin 315/30-18s. There is slight rubbing on the inside rear. Can anyone definitively make a recommendation on the size of the spacer I should buy? I don't mind if I have to roll the inside of the fender lip. If there's a vendor to buy them from who will also sell the longer studs to match it would be great. My car is slightly lowered by a PO. It's nothing outrageous. Any other comments on the conversion are welcome. Thank you.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:02 AM
Rvca3112
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 85 Posts

If you're running now I don't think you need spacers. Is your suspension springs or coilovers?
Old 03-30-2017, 12:11 AM
korina
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubbing

It's rubbing now. For sure. I definitely need some room in there. I have shocks now but I have a set of coil overs I haven't installed yet. It's rubbing on the fender liner in the rear. It's an east-west issue. Not a north-south thing.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:27 AM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 153 Likes on 95 Posts

I had same issue, see my post number #47 and all previous posts in same thread. You can bend the liner brackets to suit plus you can easily modify with a new screw to for added support.
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...2-sizes-4.html
Once you're in there, its quite easy to see what is required.

pwdrhound (John) was the one who really helped me on this one.

If you're having issues with front tires rubbing, here is another thread by pwdrhound
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...big-tires.html
Old 03-30-2017, 01:39 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Fender liner rubbing is common like mine below, search GT2 liner brackets, use google not the Rlist search function if you want to find anything.
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...996-turbo.html

The GT2 and 996 turbo liner are the same, but the bracket that holds the liner near the boost hose is shorter in the GT2 so it pulls it away from the tire more. Mine are rubbed through too, I need to spend some time under it and put in the new ones with the brackets. Powdrhound has a good thread about heating the liner and drilling holes on it located to help pull the liner to the bracket and away from the wheel.
Attached Images  
Old 03-30-2017, 09:54 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

agree. the gt2 liners along with rolling the fenders is probably the best. though the stockers can be bent to allow a bit more clearance as james has noted.. spacers shouldn't be necessary on a 12". still, rub happens on a lowered car, particularly if you bounce on/off camber a lot as i do.

this was my last oem liner lol
Attached Images  
Old 03-30-2017, 12:42 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

gt2 offset is 45 and he has 51 offset. needs a 6mm spacer to bring it out from rubbing
Old 03-30-2017, 12:45 PM
s65e90
Drifting

Received 725 Likes on 503 Posts

It's only rubbing because the offset is wrong. Put a 10 mm spacer on it and it will be fine.

I run a 12" rear with a 315 tire and never have had any rubbing. Those saying they do need to check their fitment.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:06 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Originally Posted by s65e90
It's only rubbing because the offset is wrong. Put a 10 mm spacer on it and it will be fine.

I run a 12" rear with a 315 tire and never have had any rubbing. Those saying they do need to check their fitment.
you probably drive primarily on flat surfaces. rubbing is common, and it isn't *only* because of an incorrect offset. though on straight/flat surfaces, i would say you're right. they shouldn't rub at all.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:05 PM
s65e90
Drifting

Received 725 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
you probably drive primarily on flat surfaces. rubbing is common, and it isn't *only* because of an incorrect offset. though on straight/flat surfaces, i would say you're right. they shouldn't rub at all.
I drive my car everywhere and routinely take it on road trips from Florida to Connecticut and back. Bad roads in NYC and the like and it's fine. Rubbing is common when fitment issues are at hand. Proper fitment = no rubbing. In OP case, yes the offset is not right for a WB rear wheel. It needs more negative offset.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:15 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,442 Posts

He might need both spacers and some wheel liner heat gun work.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:19 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

My rear wheels are 12x18 ET43 with 315/30/18 PS2's. I'm pretty sure the PO's did not mess with the fender liner bracket, and I drive my car hard with no rubbing (running -1.7 camber).

7-10mm spacer seems like it would be good.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:01 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Originally Posted by s65e90
I drive my car everywhere and routinely take it on road trips from Florida to Connecticut and back. Bad roads in NYC and the like and it's fine. Rubbing is common when fitment issues are at hand. Proper fitment = no rubbing. In OP case, yes the offset is not right for a WB rear wheel. It needs more negative offset.
i'm not arguing with you ( well ok, maybe a little.. lol )

i'm telling you i have no offset issues given i'm running std gt2 wheels and sizes..my offsets are gt2 wheels with gt2 liners and i bounce around a lot and they will rub on hard compression..i highly doubt we are driving under the same sets of conditions..i'm often at 10% grades with extremely tight corners as i live in a state park and it's the epitome of remote canyon driving. trust me when i say you would bounce too. so again when you say: "Rubbing is common when fitment issues are at hand. Proper fitment = no rubbing."

that is simply not empirically "true". issues and conditions such as i have outlined will contribute to "rubbing" even if there are NO "fitment" issues. just because they haven't occurred to you? doesn't mean they won't or wouldn't under similar circumstances, such as i encounter daily.

but i now see the op's offsets are NOT gt2 fitment. so i imagine thats his issue.

ok, now i gotta bizzounce lol
Old 03-30-2017, 06:54 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

You must be lower than I am, which is obviously another factor.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:52 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Originally Posted by korina
Hello all. Long time lurker and first time poster here. I've done the search thing on multiple forums and I have conflicting or contradictory info. I know somewhere here has been down this road and has the answer I need. I have an 01 turbo. I've removed the front diff and installed the stubs. I'm going down the GT2 conversion road and I bought a set of wheels and tires. The rears are 12x18 OZ Alleggerita and the ET is 51. The tires are Michelin 315/30-18s. There is slight rubbing on the inside rear. Can anyone definitively make a recommendation on the size of the spacer I should buy? I don't mind if I have to roll the inside of the fender lip. If there's a vendor to buy them from who will also sell the longer studs to match it would be great. My car is slightly lowered by a PO. It's nothing outrageous. Any other comments on the conversion are welcome. Thank you.
Lots of good and bad information out there. Keep in mind Porsche does not build cars where tires rub holes in fender liners. A GT2 does not rub from the factory. All you need to use is the same parts that come on the GT2 and you are set. This consists of 18x12 ET45 wheels and GT2 fender liner brackets. The people that have rubbing issues are not using the correct set up with the GT2 brackets being the main overlooked item.

Your problem is an ET 51 offset which pushes the tire 6mm closer to the fender liner. Combine that with the TT liner bracket which takes up about 10mm of room by the lower intercooler hose and you get the results you're seeing.

For your application, simply install 7mm spacers, GT2 brackets, and you are set. No problemo. If you roll your rear fenders (GT2 fenders are rolled from factory, TT ones are not) you can push the wheel out a little further by installing 10mm spacers. 18x12 ET40 with 315/30 is perfect with rolled fenders. I recommend rolling the fenders ala GT2 as it's very easy to do and takes only about 30 minutes to do including removing the wheels.

Go with spacers that have the hub centric hub extension built in. This is what I recommend, 7 or 10mm:

http://www.elephantracing.com/suspen...el-spacers.htm

With the right offsets and right parts, you can comfortably run 335s without any rubbing. I run tires which are 14" wide at below GT2 ride height and have zero rubbing. 315s at 12.5" wide are a no brainer with plenty of room to spare.

By the way, contrary to popular belief, ride height does not have anything to do with the rubbing of the liner by the intercooler hose. As the suspension compresses, you are actually creating more room in that area as the rear wheel moves up and slightly forward. One of the issues at play is the fact that the rubber bushings in the rear LCAs will compress under load allowing the whole wheel assembly to move fore and aft up to a 1/4" or more. That's why many guys rub the liner even though they have room between the liner and tire under static load. If you run solid bushings and mono *****, much of the rubbing is eliminated. Again though, with the right OEM parts, you won't have any problems.

Last edited by powdrhound; 03-30-2017 at 08:35 PM.

Quick Reply: GT2 12" wheel issue