Where are all the 996tt on the roads?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 10:19 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,586 Likes on 1,638 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
Santa Fe has a population of about 84,000; a very small city. The per capita income in Santa Fe is around $32k. ....
Santa Fe's wealth comes from non-residents with second, or third, homes there. It is a very ritzy place. Very low key but a lot of $$$$$$$$$$.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:34 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Santa Fe's wealth comes from non-residents with second, or third, homes there. It is a very ritzy place. Very low key but a lot of $$$$$$$$$$.
So how many Ferrari's/Lamborghini's/Porsche's would you expect to see on a Tuesday afternoon driving Hwy 491 halfway between Tohatchi and Twin Lakes?
Old 09-12-2017, 01:27 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

So how many Ferrari's/Lamborghini's/Porsche's would you expect to see on a Tuesday afternoon driving Hwy 491 halfway between Tohatchi and Twin Lakes?
Depends on what time of the year and who happens to be in town.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:24 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Depends on what time of the year and who happens to be in town.
Twin Lakes is over a 3 hour drive from Santa Fe. My bet is you could stand in Twin Lakes for a month and not see any of the cars I mentioned.

And if driving from Santa Fe to Gallup, one would not likely be driving south on Hwy 491 between Tohatchi and Twin Lakes.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:53 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Twin Lakes is over a 3 hour drive from Santa Fe. My bet is you could stand in Twin Lakes for a month and not see any of the cars I mentioned.

And if driving from Santa Fe to Gallup, one would not likely be driving south on Hwy 491 between Tohatchi and Twin Lakes.
I know where Twin Lakes is located. I have been there. I do not see your point. My answer is still correct. It depends on the season and who happens to be in town.

What is painfully obvious is that you do not know jack about Santa Fe. Quoting the median income of its residents has absolutely no bearing on how many exotics cars one might see in the area.
Old 09-12-2017, 03:31 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

What is painfully obvious is that you do not know jack about Santa Fe.
Except that I do.

But discussing the demographics of Santa Fe further would IMO be off topic. Besides, Santa Fe makes up a very small percentage of the total land area of northern NM and southern CO, which is the point as it relates to one driving all over that combined area looking for cars of any make (996 Turbo's included). But that's the point you admit you don't get.
Old 09-12-2017, 03:40 PM
jimw1548
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 05 996 Twin Turbo S

I have had this TT 996 for 2 yrs and see a lot of 02 -04 in the south bay area of CA. The PCA event have a fair share of these TT. My Turbo S is rare. Have seen afew in socal and two at local dealers. The ceramic brakes really spoil you.
Only ext 538 turbo s manufactured. I think 1/2 in USA, many raced/ wrecked, many chipped, and many a drivers.

Mine is 31,000 and stickered at165,000. A lot of car for the price. Best value out there in TT land
Old 09-12-2017, 05:47 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Except that I do.....
No, you don't. And you are the one who foolishly made Santa Fe's demographics part of the topic.

For your sake I will cut to chase. My family has had a vacation home in Santa Fe for many years and during that time I have spent about a week or two there almost annually.

My wife and I are planning to be back in Santa Fe for a couple of weeks in early April. That time happens to be a bit early for the "spring season" there but I will take photos of all the exotics cars I see and post them for you. Then just for kicks I will drive the classic exotic car I keep in Santa Fe to Twin Lakes and take a photo of it there while standing the dry lake just to complete the circle. As I wrote, it all depends on the season and who happens to be in town.

You know nothing, and it is obvious.

Last edited by Carlo_Carrera; 09-12-2017 at 06:21 PM.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:25 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

And you are the one who foolishly made Santa Fe's demographics part of the topic.
No I didn't, mpsig226 did.

Out of the roughly 30,000 houses in the city of Santa Fe, about 4,900 (or ~16%) have out-of-state addresses on their property tax bill. The combined area of northern NM and southern CO is ~113,000 sq. miles. That area has some very low density traffic on the roads; I've driven them.

The point is that if one is driving all over the described area (as the person who I originally replied to has done), it makes sense that the sightings of 996 Turbo's, or any other high end sports car, are going to be low. If every second home owner in Santa Fe (and Taos for that matter; another "second home" location) had a Ferrari or Porsche or Lamborghini sports car in the garage (not likely), and all the second home owners were in town at the same time (not likely) and they all took day trips into the hinterland at the same time (not likely), and a driver was out in that area looking for them that same day (not likely), the chances of seeing one or more of them on the road is still less than driving around looking for those same types of cars in Atlanta, or Miami, or San Francisco, or any other large metropolitan city. Traffic density on roads in the described area is hard to generate because of the total population density (resident or not) compared to the size of the area.

Last edited by Dock; 09-12-2017 at 07:56 PM.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:17 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

No I didn't, mpsig226 did.

Out of the roughly 30,000 houses in the city of Santa Fe, about 4,900 (or ~16%) have out-of-state addresses on their property tax bill. The combined area of northern NM and southern CO is ~113,000 sq. miles. That area has some very low density traffic on the roads; I've driven them.

The point is that if one is driving all over the described area (as the person who I originally replied to has done), it makes sense that the sightings of 996 Turbo's, or any other high end sports car, are going to be low. If every second home owner in Santa Fe (and Taos for that matter; another "second home" location) had a Ferrari or Porsche or Lamborghini sports car in the garage (not likely), and all the second home owners were in town at the same time (not likely) and they all took day trips into the hinterland at the same time (not likely), and a driver was out in that area looking for them that same day (not likely), the chances of seeing one or more of them on the road is still less than driving around looking for those same types of cars in Atlanta, or Miami, or San Francisco, or any other large metropolitan city. Traffic density on roads in the described area is hard to generate because of the total population density (resident or not) compared to the size of the area.
You will not be able to Google your way out of this.

Again, you know nothing and it is obvious.

And again, as I wrote, it all depends on the season and who happens to be in town. At certain times of year there is literally bumper to bumper taffic in Santa Fe and the surround towns. Quite dense. When was the last time you drove those roads, 1975?
Old 09-12-2017, 09:45 PM
champignon
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

New Mexico is the Ozarks of the Southwest. It's the sort of state where you marry your first cousin, or worse, maybe your sister.

If I had any connection to it, I'd certainly not admit that in a public forum :-)
Old 09-12-2017, 10:09 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Still better than Idaho where they marry sheep, heifers or potatoes.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:23 PM
champignon
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Still better than Idaho where they marry sheep, heifers or potatoes.
Quick Geography Lesson, for you:

Relations with sheep is something they do in Wyoming, which you should know from personal experience:

Name:  wyomingdate.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  46.5 KB

Don't know about cows, but ours aren't cooperative.

Potatoes, depending on their size and shape, might be usable by the fairer sex, but without a pulse, they won't marry you to one here.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:07 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 250 Likes on 180 Posts

ID, besides having the radical right, is a place where men are men and sheep are scared.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:10 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

At certain times of year there is literally bumper to bumper taffic in Santa Fe and the surround towns. Quite dense.
But not at all dense in the 113,000 square miles that makes up the area being discussed.

I don't recall anyone here opining that there aren't cars in Santa Fe. The area being discussed is northern NM and southern CO.

Quick Reply: Where are all the 996tt on the roads?