Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP: Are upgraded turbos and GIAC systems such as EVO Motorsports completely safe?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2003, 02:30 PM
Cerberus
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default HELP: Are upgraded turbos and GIAC systems such as EVO Motorsports completely safe?

Hi guys,

I am highly considering purchasing a 2001 996 turbo that has an EVO Stage 3 package, which includes upgraded turbos, GIAC, diverter valves and exhaust boasting 550 hp.

Are these aftermarket systems completely safe? I've read lots of sigs of fellow members w/ EVO upgrades. Are you guys happy with your EVO upgrades? Has anyone here on the board experienced problems with their EVO upgrade conversions?

I am ready to pull the trigger on this car, so your feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Cerberus; 11-06-2003 at 03:21 PM.
Old 11-06-2003, 02:43 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

EVO has great packadges. Nobody yet has had a bad word to say about them on any boards. The stage 3 kit as about as safe as you could get when it comes to a "proven" packadge and utilizes K24s, which in a way can be considered a "stock" set of turbos (X50). My advice? If you were going to mod your car anyways in the future, get this now. You'll save a lot this way... Good luck.
Old 11-06-2003, 02:58 PM
Hamann7
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is difficult to say how safe these systems are in the long run because as far as I know none of these cars have put on any kind of significant mileage post-conversion. It looks like it will hold up well, but only time will tell.

I think Ruf sets the standard in this area.
Old 11-06-2003, 03:15 PM
cobra06
Pro

In all of the years on the forums, I've never heard of anyone having an engine grenade either stock or with major mods from any of the tuners. Anyone out there actually know of anyone?
Old 11-06-2003, 03:24 PM
AMG ETR
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Hamann7
I know none of these cars have put on any kind of significant mileage post-conversion. It looks like it will hold up well, but only time will tell.
I believe Stephen has 30K+ miles on his Stage4+ car....
Evan
Old 11-06-2003, 03:28 PM
Hamann7
User

Originally posted by AMG ETR
I believe Stephen has 30K+ miles on his Stage4+ car....
Evan
Like I said, only time will tell.

But I don't remember Stephen running 600hp for all 30K miles...
Old 11-06-2003, 03:30 PM
AMG ETR
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Hamann7
Like I said, only time will tell.

But I don't remember Stephen running 600hp for all 30K miles...
I very well could be wrong, but I thought he did...hum Stephen??
Evan
Old 11-06-2003, 05:37 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

Not the best place to ask . Doubt many of the modders here will own the car 2 years down the road . Porsche has to engineer the OEM car to be safe at freq WOT through the Mojave in summer and through rush hour in Minnesota at 4 below zero so they and every manuf have to build in some buffering.
You should be OK if you remember that having a 550-600 hp modded Turbo means you can't thrash it with the elan of a stock car. The extra heat generated by the extra power and mechanical strain on all componentry will EVENTUALLY catch up to you , but hopefully that's what the third owner will have to deal with !
Old 11-06-2003, 07:05 PM
Cerberus
Advanced

Originally posted by MKW
The extra heat generated by the extra power and mechanical strain on all componentry will EVENTUALLY catch up to you , but hopefully that's what the third owner will have to deal with !
I hope so as well.

You guys are definitely giving me more comfort on the reliability of the aftermarket tuners. I just want to make sure that an aftermarket kit pushing out 550hp is not stressing the factory engine/drivetrain.

Thanks again.
Old 11-06-2003, 07:10 PM
Hamann7
User

There is a solution for that-- build out the engine internals and you will get reliable horsepower.
Old 11-06-2003, 08:19 PM
Fanman
Instructor

The Stage 3 package consists of K24 turbos, these are the stock turbos on the Porsche factory X50 package. As for the engine it is derived from the GT1 racecar and many tuners are in the 600+ hp range without doing any internal work, and have had good reliability. The only tuner car that I have read about running with reinforced internals is the Gemballa 750 (which made 854 hp). I think you are fine with Stage 3, and they even have Stage 4, Stage 4 GT, and Stage 5 cars that are running fine, so the chance of blowing the engine is remote. EVO has top notch customer service, and has done great work from the experiences of all their customers.
Old 11-07-2003, 12:57 AM
Hamann7
User

If you try to run 700hp on stock internals, your engine will not last long. I can almost guarantee you that.

Ruf adds titanium connecting rods with their 590hp package. Manthey, Roock, TechArt, Authority, Sportec, and other also strengthen the internals.

It's only some of the American tuners who seem to think they can get away with all that boost and power without sacrificing reliability.

If you are running over 600hp, strengthened rods are a good idea.
Old 11-07-2003, 09:56 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

I recently had a discussion with RS of Germany about the 996tt. Bare in mind they hold the Nurburgring record as well as endurance race a 700hp 996tt.
The stock 996tt will produce 570hp (as measured DIN at the flywheel -just like Porsche does it) at this level of tune it will last 20-30K miles before needing attention.
For over 600hp, without a myriad of different parts (I can't remember every part but it sounded like pretty much everything from cylinder heads to special pistons/liners to rods etc..) a stock motor would last 2500 to 3500 miles.
I suppose their customers are likely to stress the engines more than one could in the US - like holding full throttle for long stretches on the Autobahn, so these mileages are probably on the pessimistic side.
Old 11-07-2003, 12:56 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Tyson,
Yes I have been running the 600 level and 692 TQ for that length of time. In fact I did a leak down last week when I changed my plugs. Less that 3 % leak down across the board. Nothing still showing up in the oil analysis. So in all nothing to worry about. As far as I know I am running the most miles with any mods. I also have about 75 pulls on the dyno for various test in well over 100 degree heat. Several 10 hour+ trips this year alone.
Old 11-07-2003, 01:54 PM
Cerberus
Advanced

Originally posted by petert
In the case of the car Sandy is considering, the owner is selling the TT because he bought a multi-colored SL (i.e. one of those that is a different color depending on light angle hitting it) with air conditioned seats to replace it, complimenting his portfolio of Jag and Bimmer land yachts, Volvo 4 seat rag top, and van conversion, if that tells you anything about his zest for aggressive driving ... so I doubt the increased HP has caused any additional wear and tear on the drivetrain in this case. You might inspect for double latte stains on the carpet though! :-)

Peter,

I feel much better now about how the car has been driven. By the way, I will make sure the latte stains are removed as a condition of the purchase. Thanks.

Quick Reply: HELP: Are upgraded turbos and GIAC systems such as EVO Motorsports completely safe?