Hi, Intro, New Owner here

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 07:01 PM
Simbad
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hi, Intro, New Owner here

Hi guys,
wanted to introduce myself. I just bought a 996Turbo. and expect to be a regular here.
I am based in Seattle, originally from the UK. I was actually on the look out for a 964 Cab, but as I started digging in to the search I was drawn to the 996 Turbo. if i'm honest every time I have had a short drive in a 911 I was left a little underwhelmed, maybe because since a kid my expectations were so high but the more I read and all the glowing feedback I figured you have to spend a little time with the car and you end up in love. Well I went out and test drove my first 996T and it didn't take long, I knew it would be a love affair.
then up pops a 2004 with 50k miles, cab with hardtop in what looked like great condition. went down to take a look on news year eve and came home with it.

the car is in fantastic condition, like not even a stonechip on the front end, no scratches, interior virtually perfect bar a couple of scratches next to the ash tray.
Typically it snowed on the way home so been difficult to put it through its paces properly but man I already love it.
the car is blue which is was not my fav colour but the condition was so good and the colour is already growing on me. She has a perfect hardtop too.
I will add some pics.

couple of questions

1) It has turbo twists on it and i'd like something that looks a little more modern and special. so looking for some new rims, a local guy has some 20" Avant garde mesh wheels that he will take $1250 for, be interested in opinion, they are apparently mint. any other wheel recommendations welcome.

2) I already know that no Bluetooth or Aux is going to bug me, any quick tips, mine has the Bose Nav unit in it.

Anyway just saying hi. I am sure I will have questions as I get familiar with the car.

Cheers and Happy new year.

pics to follow...

Simeon
Old 01-01-2017, 07:09 PM
Simbad
Advanced

Default Pics

Old 01-01-2017, 07:15 PM
Simbad
Advanced

Default and here are the wheels i was considering

this is the detail from the add..
Beautiful Avent Garde Mesh Wheels in near perfect condition. Came off of my 997 4s with less than a thousand miles. 20x8.5 front wheels 45mm offset and 20x11 rear wheels 40mm offset. Will cost you close to $2500 to by new right now. This is for wheels only (no tires). Also comes with full set of lug bolts. These are set up for wide body 911, 996, 997, 991 models.

was curious if being 20's and the car not being lowered would make the car look wrong, like those guys that put big wheels on an SUV or bentley and they always ride to high?

thoughts on the wheels and the brand?
Old 01-01-2017, 07:32 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 295 Posts

I think 20" would look terrible on a 996tt, lowered or otherwise. Goofy as ****. Even 19s don't look good imho. The car's wheel arches and its whole design really were styled with 18s in mind.

Have you taken a look at 996 GT3 wheels? The proportions fit naturally and it's quite a different style from the turbo twists.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:12 PM
uwsherm
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh man, I kind of hate you. I was going to look at your car today but you beat me to it. You got a spectacular deal (car has the X50 package among other things). Enjoy that Turbo!!
Old 01-01-2017, 08:22 PM
Simbad
Advanced

@Rickbrooklyn Interesting, I wondered if they might look a little big for it, but in the pic of the 997 I added I think they look great, though his is lowered. Are you just not a fan of bigger wheels. any others got opinions or maybe pics to share of 19's and 20's on a standard suspension set up. if it looks jacked up I would agree to stay away.

@uwsherm haha- sorry about that, I actually drove away for being $500 away from my price, but then I turned back and did the deal. it is a peach- have you checked out the silver Coupe in Kirkland, lots of mods and 37k miles, they have it on for 41k but I reckon they'd take high 30's it's not a cab if that was what you were looking for and it's not quite as mint, but not bad at all.
interestingly I went to look at a black cab in Issaquah last week and when I turned up it was sold. so I know the feeling- though that was an auto so didn't bother me too much. happy hunting. let's meet for a comparison when you find one :-)
Old 01-01-2017, 09:25 PM
petron5000
Instructor

Welcome!

I'll agree that 20s will look terrible. I went from 19s to 18s and it looks better. Check out Forgestar F14s for wheels that look similar to the above but fit great. See attached for pics of 19s and 18s.

Forgestar F14 18"
Old 01-01-2017, 09:26 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

I don't think you'll like the 20s. People even complain about 19s.

If you want to update the look of the car, consider LED taillights. You get them from DelRay Customs. I'm very happy with mine.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:41 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

congrats on the car. i concur with kcsunshine..

dont get 20's! 19's even suck if you're doing anything even remotely serious. just *properly* lower that car, widen the stance, tweak the suspension..and etc etc..

and enjoy!

add: just saw petron5000s addition.. i had f14's but ditched them in favor of hubcentric wheels which the fstars in 18 are not. but look at that look! whats not to like?! lol
Old 01-02-2017, 12:56 AM
Simbad
Advanced

Thanks guys, I guess i'm with you and maybe bigger is not the way to go, i'll take a look at the threads I am sure I can find on here in respect to lowering. if I went that route i'd want to make sure I didn't compromise the ride too much, kind of loving the current balance of firmness but not boneshaker.

Appreciate all the input, got out in her as much as I can today, man the power is so addictive, so impressed with the pull from low revs in high gear. she just seems to want to go and go.
Old 01-02-2017, 01:30 AM
fung0001
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi
Mine is Black in black

Below is a photo from modbargains

Old 01-02-2017, 01:34 AM
techweenie
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

I went from 18s to 19s and then went back. The car works best for me on 18s, even though I liked the looks of 19s.

The Porsche OE wheel is a very high quality wheel. There are other high quality wheels you can run at 18 or larger diameters. Personally I am not a fan of Chinese-made cast no-name wheels like 'avant garde' or 'ruger' or a dozen others. But I'm sure they are fine for the street.
Old 01-02-2017, 02:51 AM
Simbad
Advanced

Originally Posted by fung0001
Hi
Mine is Black in black

Below is a photo from modbargains

Now those look nice.
Old 01-02-2017, 02:52 AM
Simbad
Advanced

just back to the one other question I posted on.
Adding Aux.
mine has the Nav unit in it. I have tired searching but didn't find an easy answer.
is there a path to getting an Aux input added on that unit?
Old 01-02-2017, 09:09 AM
RDS928S
Banned

Received 709 Likes on 316 Posts

19's or 20's will look just fine with the proper size tires.
It will look goofy however if left at stock ride height.
U will need to lower ur car.

I have Champion motor sports 19's on a lowered turbo with Champion Motor sports springs & oem shocks. The ride is perfect.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Hi, Intro, New Owner here