Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Potential Turbo Owner

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 12:24 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome over here. You'll find something that clicks. Great dual, triple, quadruple purpose "911." Took mine out on Friday for a little road trip.
Attached Images  
Old 12-24-2016, 05:54 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
Welcome over here. You'll find something that clicks. Great dual, triple, quadruple purpose "911." Took mine out on Friday for a little road trip.
Thanks to all that responded to my first posting on this board. I have been on the 993 board for close to six years. I find huge similarities on the turbo board and look forward to participating if and when I purchase a turbo.

I am currently communicating with an owner in S. Calif that has an 05 "S" cab on the market. Car has had substantial mods done to it; and, I am in the process of understanding the mods so that I can make an educated purchase, if I decide on his car.

From the little bit of reading I've done, it appears that a modded car markets for less than an unmolested example. That's certainly true of the 993. But, since the 993's have been out there longer than the 996, it's fairly rare to find a car that hasn't been modded. But, there are accepted mods and there are outrageous mods. So, my education on the turbo and what is seen as good versus less than good continues.

Macsster, I used to see you posting over on the Boxster board. My son had an 02 "S", and I was always assisting him on wrenching the car. Great car; but, it seemed less reliable than my old 993. And, of course there was the old nemesis of the IMS bearing failures, for which we ended up installing the LN system replacement.

So, wrenching is one of those things that I like to do. A comment was made that specifications were hard to come by for the turbo. Are there not Porsche Shop Manuals to cover this car? Or, are they rare?

Incidentally, the car I am looking at has the AWE turbo exhaust system. Any comments on it? Is it too loud? I originally had 200 cell cats on my 993, but took them off because they were too loud. Couldn't back the car out of my driveway without getting annoyed looks from the neighbors! Prefer not to do that with a turbo as well.
Old 12-25-2016, 12:16 AM
Third-Reef
Three Wheelin'

Received 160 Likes on 114 Posts

I payed slightly more for mine because of the mods it has. It all depends on what you want do do with it. I also put 20K miles on it in the last year and damm they were good miles. To each his own.

Quick Reply: Potential Turbo Owner