Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...fog_lamps.html
Old 12-19-2016, 11:43 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

From the article (link below)..."Fog lights are generally for FOG and must only be used in appropriate conditions...So, if you want to be thought of as a courteous driver, don't light up your car like a Christmas tree...Use the fog lights only when you have very low visilibility, and don't forget to turn them off when the fog has lifted!"

http://www.garageboy.com/fahrt/fog.html
Old 12-19-2016, 11:56 PM
Valkuri
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I solved my weak 996 fog lights by moving to the desert.
No fog; no deer.
Perhaps that is not a viable option for everyone.

…and the neon that I mounted under the car, so I can find a pencil if it rolls underneath: Too much?
Old 12-20-2016, 12:07 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Valkuri
No fog; no deer.
Arizona...road...deer...

Old 12-20-2016, 11:06 AM
Bobcat Sig
Instructor

I had an opportunity to put my fogs through their paces recently on a night run down 101 through the Redwoods. There was plenty of fog and no road lighting. For those of you dwon that way; you know what I mean.

I found the fogs to be adequate - not the best but they certainly don't suck. I found the properly adjusted headlights were the biggest concern. And something I had to address when I picked up my car. The fog lights provided just enough light directly in front of the car and to the sides to pick out the center stripe and fog line on the right.

Despite Porsche's best efforts, the lights are hindered by their high mount in the headlight cluster.

If anything, I appreciated the rear fog light even more. Some of the fog I drove through was THICK and I was more concerned about the beaters behind and their ability to see me.
Old 12-20-2016, 06:02 PM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 249 Posts

Here is what I did. LED lights do work in our stock fog light locations:
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...l#post12521904

superbrightleds.com "H3-W27-CB: White"

Old 12-20-2016, 06:37 PM
Bobcat Sig
Instructor

With LED bulbs, make sure they have the proper light pattern. Those diodes need to emit light in the same direction as the bulbs you are replacing. Those that Chris referenced seem to be the right pattern, but that doesn't hold true for all LED replacements.

Chris - that cord coming off the LEDs you referenced; is that to ground the bulb or something else?
Old 12-20-2016, 08:51 PM
Duc Hunter
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

No fog; no deer.

…and the neon that I mounted under the car, so I can find a pencil if it rolls underneath: Too much?
This cracks me up. I lived in CA for 25 years, and spent a lot of time without fog. Contrary to what "some" here say, I find fog lights great year round. Who would not want as much light as possible on the road down in front of them and out as far as possible AS LONG AS it does not blind oncoming traffic. Fog pattern lights are perfect for this with their cut off beam. On a rally car I built, AND on my '75 911 wide body rat rod, I ran/run larger fog lights that throw a TON of light down the road. Because they are fogs though, they do not blind oncoming traffic at all (NEVER get flashed). I do not expect the 996T fog's to work like those....but I can buy a set of similarly sized PIAA ellipsoidal fogs, put them in the same place height wise, and get a TON more light than the 996T light give. No I would never actually do that on a sweet looking 996T. AS my original PO stated, I want to see if others suffer what I do, and if anyone had fixed it.

And the XB-50 is an amazing piece of kit! LOVE IT!

Originally Posted by cbracerx
Here is what I did. LED lights do work in our stock fog light locations:
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...l#post12521904

superbrightleds.com "H3-W27-CB: White"

I run SB LED's in my Rat Rod as headlight lights. I will check out that thread for the 996T. Thank you! I do want to add some LED "city lights" to the 996T too, instead of the brown factory bulbs they have.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:00 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Duc Hunter
I find fog lights great year round.
That's what I thought.

Who would not want as much light as possible on the road down in front of them and out as far as possible AS LONG AS it does not blind oncoming traffic.
Plenty of people.

BTW, you can't control your fixed front lights when the road grade points your lights upward at vehicles in front of you.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:33 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Because they are fogs though, they do not blind oncoming traffic at all (NEVER get flashed).
Not getting flashed by oncoming traffic is not a validation that you aren't putting out too much light. There are many, many times when I've had to deal with an oncoming car/truck putting out too much light where flashing them would be a waste of time, and worse for me on the receiving end. Why would I flash them when I can see that they have their low beams and fog lights on? All they will likely do is flip their high beams on in reply, making my situation even worse.
Old 12-20-2016, 10:05 PM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig
With LED bulbs, make sure they have the proper light pattern. Those diodes need to emit light in the same direction as the bulbs you are replacing. Those that Chris referenced seem to be the right pattern, but that doesn't hold true for all LED replacements.

Chris - that cord coming off the LEDs you referenced; is that to ground the bulb or something else?
That's the positive lead. This is a normal H3 bulb type, where the ground is from the socket and the positive from the lead. Plugs right in like stock halogen bulb.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:20 AM
Valkuri
Burning Brakes

Arizona...road...deer...

No water; no fog; no deer; no problem!
Old 12-21-2016, 09:41 AM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

No water; no fog; no deer; no problem!
Different problem maybe? Javelinas, coyotes...
Old 12-21-2016, 11:17 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

No fog; no deer.

I've encountered fog in the desert. Not as common perhaps as it might be on highway 1 along the CA coast but fog can occur anywhere.

Trouble is with fog in areas that don't get it often is people don't slow down. This is when those multi-vehicle pileups happen. (My experience is even in areas where fog happens more often many drivers don't slow down.)

Hit my only deer on 50 highway in the (high?) desert near Ely NV.

And last but not least desert areas including AZ can have dust/sand blowing across the road Here's a pic...
Attached Images  
Old 12-21-2016, 01:10 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Hit my only deer on 50 highway in the (high?) desert near Ely NV.
hah! *seeing* as i hit one too, i think one is quite enough!

what i really wanna know is do doe have the same "look" in foglights as do deer in the headlights? or do they just shrug our tepid fog lamps off lol

Quick Reply: Fog lights SUCK!!!!