Sponsored by:

Fog lights SUCK!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 05:36 PM
Duc Hunter
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Fog lights SUCK!!!!

I just had my headlights all polished up. The yellowing and deep cracks are gone, and they look factory fresh (started with 600 grit to remove the cracks, and worked my way up).

Every german car I have had (BMW, Audi) has pretty good fog lights. They tend to throw a lot of light low and close to the car. The ones in the Turbo are just miserable! I put new H3 bulbs in (yellow) and they barely throw any light. They throw as much light as my blinker. It looks like there is zero room inside the housing to replace the bulbs with HID bulbs (light I did in an Audi), or LED;s (like I did in my '75 911 Rat Rod). Adding high wattage H3's may work, but at $3,500/side for new assemblies (if the brighter bulbs wreck the insides) I am not chancing that.

Does anyone know a good way to get more light out of then fogs? Do the lenses (refracting part inside the assembly) ever need to be cleaned? Or do they just SUCK?
Old 12-14-2016, 09:38 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Are you finding that you don't have adequate forward lighting at night, or at night in the fog?
Old 12-14-2016, 09:59 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

fog lights, who needs em
Old 12-14-2016, 11:05 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

haven't turned them on yet...ever I don't think.
be sure to put a clear coat over the newly polished lenses or they will go back to foggy.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:35 AM
Duc Hunter
Racer

Originally Posted by Turbodan
haven't turned them on yet...ever I don't think.
be sure to put a clear coat over the newly polished lenses or they will go back to foggy.
We put Opti-Coat on them. Its good stuff, puts back down a UV protection layer. I have seen lights done the same way with 1 coat of Opti-Coat that wee done a year ago, live outside in Florida and are fine. I also have some Xpel headlight protection covers to go on them. So I should be good.

Dock, good to hear from you again. More is always better in my opinion. My issue is that the fog lights do not seem to throw the light they should, as compared to many other cars I have and/or have driven. I do not have 25 996 Turbos though to compare, so I thought I would ask other owners here.
Old 12-15-2016, 11:51 AM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

You must be one of those people who keep the high beams on all the time, too.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:03 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

The fog lights in my 2002 Boxster are pretty good with the factory bulbs in them.

When on they light the road just ahead and to either side of the car. Great for driving in low visibility conditions.

The fog lights in my Turbo I can hardly tell they are on.

But the bi-xenon headlights are superb and really in my experience render the fog lights superfluous and I never use them unless I feel the need to have the rear fog light on.

Are you sure your Turbo headlights are properly adjusted?
Old 12-15-2016, 12:05 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Duc Hunter
More is always better in my opinion.
More is not always better for the cars/trucks in front of you that have to deal with the light.

My issue is that the fog lights do not seem to throw the light they should...
I personally find that using just the high beams provide more than enough illumination when used in good visiility conditions, and of course when other cars/trucks won't be negatively affected by the light. In foggy conditions, using high beams is counter productive, so either augumenting the low beams with the fog lights, or using just the fog lights in very foggy conditions, is the way to go (with greatly reduced speed of course).

My '02 996 Turbo is still using the OEM fog bulbs, and I find them to be appropriately suited for use in foggy conditions. I don't turn them on when they are not needed (read - "when it's not sufficiently foggy to use them"). The objective of fog lights is to produce low angle light to adequately illuminate the driving surface, while reducing the reflected glare from the fog itself. I think Porsche got them right.
Old 12-15-2016, 02:33 PM
Duc Hunter
Racer

Ok.....to reply to a few of you are once....

Originally Posted by Dock
More is not always better for the cars/trucks in front of you that have to deal with the light.

Duc says - Not if they are aimed properly, they have a cut off beam that cannot blind oncoming vehicles...if aimed properly......I just lput new springs and shock in the car, and they have the stance no longer severely tail down (old stuff was SHOT). Part of that process was to re-aim the headlights accordingly.

My '02 996 Turbo is still using the OEM fog bulbs, and I find them to be appropriately suited for use in foggy conditions. I don't turn them on when they are not needed (read - "when it's not sufficiently foggy to use them"). The objective of fog lights is to produce low angle light to adequately illuminate the driving surface, while reducing the reflected glare from the fog itself. I think Porsche got them right.

Duc says - I am glad yours work well for you. The reason for my post if mine do not.
Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
You must be one of those people who keep the high beams on all the time, too.
Duc says - Very helpful, thank you for your insight. You must be one of those people who likes to chime in to insult people you don't know just to try to show off your superior intellect. Well played.
Originally Posted by Macster
The fog lights in my 2002 Boxster are pretty good with the factory bulbs in them.

When on they light the road just ahead and to either side of the car. Great for driving in low visibility conditions.

The fog lights in my Turbo I can hardly tell they are on.

Duc says - Exactly my point. Many other cars have much better fog lights (that don't blind oncoming drivers, and work are real fog lights should work). That is why I ams trying to see if it is a design issue, or if others have found reasonable ways to improve the 996 Turbo's fog lights.

But the bi-xenon headlights are superb and really in my experience render the fog lights superfluous and I never use them unless I feel the need to have the rear fog light on.

Duc says - I agree the headlights are very good. So are my BMW's, and yet the fog lights further increase the amount of light down low and on the road, where are my 996TT's foglight throw less light than the cars blinkers do.

Are you sure your Turbo headlights are properly adjusted?

Duc says - The headlights are aimed correctly (as are my fog lights). Shot onto my garage door they measure out where they should. Again its not the headlights, I like them. It is the fog lights.
Old 12-15-2016, 03:19 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Not if they are aimed properly
Yes, even if aimed properly. This is why driving around at night approaching other cars/trucks/motorcycles with highbeams illuminated can be dangerous, a bad idea, just flat rude, and may be against the law depending on the state. In Florida, drivers are not supposed to use their highbeams at night when within 500 feet of oncoming vehicles....even when the headlights are properly aimed.
Old 12-15-2016, 03:23 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I am glad yours work well for you
They work well for me because I use them the way they were designed to be used; I don't have them on unless they are needed based on the weather conditions.
Old 12-15-2016, 03:51 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 405 Likes on 256 Posts

On highway trips through unlit areas I use my fog lights as a way to drastically improve the lighting to the front side area of my cars. The headlights do a good job of straight ahead lighting. My fogs probably add another 3-5 feet of good lighting off to the side.

Ever pass a deer standing on the side of the road while driving about 80 mph? Then you understand why any additional lighting that gives you advance notice is appreciated. I never have people flash me to cut off the fogs because they are adjusted low and wide to the road.

I need to try the turbo's fog lights, I haven't taken it out in a remote area at night; mostly city driving where there is plenty of lighting.
Old 12-15-2016, 04:31 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

i drive in nearly continual pacific ocean fog and use mine more for others to see me ( better than those little run lights ) than for any significant amount of light they may throw which is negligible. i agree with the OP they dont seem to throw much light but make terrific drl's in fog lol
Old 12-15-2016, 04:31 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dock
Yes, even if aimed properly. This is why driving around at night approaching other cars/trucks/motorcycles with highbeams illuminated can be dangerous, a bad idea, just flat rude, and may be against the law depending on the state. In Florida, drivers are not supposed to use their highbeams at night when within 500 feet of oncoming vehicles....even when the headlights are properly aimed.
In CT too, yet most people drive with them on all the time with the utmost disregard. Drives me crazy.
Old 12-15-2016, 04:34 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Originally Posted by autobonrun
On highway trips through unlit areas I use my fog lights as a way to drastically improve the lighting to the front side area of my cars. The headlights do a good job of straight ahead lighting. My fogs probably add another 3-5 feet of good lighting off to the side.

Ever pass a deer standing on the side of the road while driving about 80 mph? Then you understand why any additional lighting that gives you advance notice is appreciated. I never have people flash me to cut off the fogs because they are adjusted low and wide to the road
If you're doing 80mph the fog lights will be of zero help by the time you see the deer (assuming they help you see the deer better, which is debatable).

Quick Reply: Fog lights SUCK!!!!