First Post: Looking to buy

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 10:25 PM
HardHitter
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by drcheap
Kinda high..keep looking..
Just saw the car. What would be a reasonable price for this? I'm thinking mid 40's. I'd likely end up swapping back in the stock seats and be able to sell the seats and the HRE wheels.

Details from the VIN Decoder

VIN: WP0AB29923S685526
Price: $120,095.00
Exterior: Black
Interior: Black Full Leather
Warranty Start: November 30, 2002
342 Heated Front Seats
A1 Black Top
AH Black Full Leather
M6A Black Mats - Porsche lettering
P78 Sport Seats w/Full Leather Int
XMP Lthr Sun Visors Lighted Mirror
XMZ Rear Center Console - Leather
XSC Porsche Crest in Headrest
XZD Dome Lamp Cover - Leather
Z84 Stitch F/R Seats - Dev. Color
Attached Images        

Last edited by HardHitter; 12-17-2016 at 11:20 PM.
Old 12-18-2016, 10:33 AM
Jymmybob
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If those are mods that you would do yourself especially the cage then it's probably ok in the low 40s but a close to stock car in similar condition should be the same price and will hold its value better if those particular mods aren't important. If you're comfortable with how the car's been modded, how the previous owners treated it, and otherwise love it then paying an extra thousand or two over market isn't the worst choice you can make especially since it's really nice to be able to see it in person and meet the seller prior to purchase and/or PPI.
Old 12-18-2016, 10:58 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

i think the black one is maybe $5/7k over-valued so 45/47 is a good price point IF those are the mods you'd want anyway. i agree with the above poster that IF the mods are what you want then its ok to pay a couple extra k up front. i did the same years ago after having a ( mostly ) stock x50 and have been well rewarded as i didnt have pony up for the extra ( +/- ) $20k in stuff i would've bought anyway. dont underestimate the "value" of the oem parts the seller claims to be including to say nothing of two sets of ( nice? ) wheels. its still probably not worth 53 though lol

judging from the mod list, nothing very weird or "frankensteinian", and still the car is presumably in a reliable "sweet spot" for power and longevity with long term reliability. though "newer" turbos ( whats in it now? k16's? ) and a re-map are probably not a bad idea given the age of those then current mods/tuning etc. though it looks in pics to be a bit rough around the edges and its never comforting to see a FS pic with an airbag cel lol..

but then mine was a bit rough too, and that was 60/70k miles ago. now at 138k miles, rwd and 475+/- whp. healthy as a horse, or a stung mule, whichever.
Old 12-18-2016, 03:04 PM
Jymmybob
Advanced

The deals are out there, you just have to know what you want and be willing to act quickly. After hunting for 6 months I took a calculated risk and recently bought http://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-Porsche...-/172411960039 and it turned out to be amazing for the price. I've watched a lot of promising cars go for under market on Ebay and surpringly on BaT, like cburkes a few weeks ago, so watching less Porsche-specific markets can pay off since most 996TT buyers are very methodical and careful and auctions don't often allow for much of that due diligence.
Old 12-18-2016, 03:14 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
i think the black one is maybe $5/7k over-valued so 45/47 is a good price point IF those are the mods you'd want anyway. i agree with the above poster that IF the mods are what you want then its ok to pay a couple extra k up front. i did the same years ago after having a ( mostly ) stock x50 and have been well rewarded as i didnt have pony up for the extra ( +/- ) $20k in stuff i would've bought anyway. dont underestimate the "value" of the oem parts the seller claims to be including to say nothing of two sets of ( nice? ) wheels. its still probably not worth 53 though lol

judging from the mod list, nothing very weird or "frankensteinian", and still the car is presumably in a reliable "sweet spot" for power and longevity with long term reliability. though "newer" turbos ( whats in it now? k16's? ) and a re-map are probably not a bad idea given the age of those then current mods/tuning etc. though it looks in pics to be a bit rough around the edges and its never comforting to see a FS pic with an airbag cel lol..

but then mine was a bit rough too, and that was 60/70k miles ago. now at 138k miles, rwd and 475+/- whp. healthy as a horse, or a stung mule, whichever.
Agree with "02

I have that same spoiler (Misha GT2 Add On) and I really like it.
Old 12-18-2016, 03:40 PM
HardHitter
Racer

Originally Posted by Jymmybob
The deals are out there, you just have to know what you want and be willing to act quickly. After hunting for 6 months I took a calculated risk and recently bought http://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-Porsche...-/172411960039 and it turned out to be amazing for the price. I've watched a lot of promising cars go for under market on Ebay and surpringly on BaT, like cburkes a few weeks ago, so watching less Porsche-specific markets can pay off since most 996TT buyers are very methodical and careful and auctions don't often allow for much of that due diligence.
What was your experience buying on eBay? The thing I'm worried about with eBay is bidding/buying something without seeing the car. I am very **** about my cars and this seems to be a huge risk, although looks like you got a lot for your money! Congrats!
Old 12-18-2016, 04:34 PM
Jymmybob
Advanced

It definitely was less reassuring than say buying through a forum like Rennlist or 6speedonline or even the autotrader/cars.com twins but it wasn't that bad. I felt that if I could build a clear 'story' of the car then it's not any different than trusting a known individual because plenty of people have been burned buying cars they thought were sure things. Trust the facts of the car's current condition and use any extra information to reinforce those facts.

When i saw it I researched who the owner was and realized while the ad was bad compared to a forums ad, it was in line with a general car ad and if the condition and mods were as stated then it'd be a solid deal. I then confirmed that he would allow a PPI after purchase so that if I knew that it had nothing obviously wrong with it then I would be able to get my money out of it if it wasn't as good as what I expected.

It overall made sense because someone who would put that amount of money into the engine and wheels while also keeping the body and interior in that condition meant that it likely had as good of a life as any other car I would find. While these are special cars, they still are just cars and most owners are going to sell it like one so don't be afraid that some super enthusiast wasn't the previous owner. When you can confirm the car will pass a PPI and there's no red flags then pay low enough that you can cover minor problems that the average car owner wouldn't catch you'll be in as good shape as if you paid a premium for a car with documented stuff much like that black one you're looking at. I would bet that it would go for under 40k on Ebay. Just look at some of the sold auctions for 996TTs there and imagine what they'd be worth if you saw them with a comprehensive post on an enthusiast forum.

edit: http://www.ebay.com/itm/201750102175 this would be a good comparison to that black one because whoever did it had a pretty clear plan to make it a GT2 clone with actual GT2 aero and underhood parts and while fairly light on suspension mods which hints towards it not being a track beast but more of a bragging rights street car. With a PPI you'd be more likely to get a well loved car in the low 40s compared to that black one which sounds like will go for near 50k. Overall miles aren't nearly as important when compared to track miles in my opinion. But that's just my opinion as an owner that won't be doing anything besides a few thousand miles a year on back roads.

Last edited by Jymmybob; 12-18-2016 at 05:00 PM.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:58 PM
HardHitter
Racer

Decided to leave the black one alone. When I requested documentation of the parts after you guys questioned some of his statements, he came back with "the previous owner actually put that on" when yesterday, in person, he told me all the mods was done by him and he had all documentation. He also said he was firm on his price, so that throws out the negotiation. I'll pass.

Meanwhile, I was able to get some behind-the-wheel time on a 997 turbo cab with just exhaust and tune. He just let me floor it on a straight away at one of our car meets and WOW, the power delivery is so strong in comparison to my Viper even though we are probably the same power. Perhaps I don't need aftermarket turbos haha.

My search continues, except now I am deciding on if I'm willing to pay an extra $15-$20K for a 997.
Old 12-18-2016, 09:20 PM
drcheap
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Do want I say, not what I do..lol..I tend to decide on something and want it now. For my 70th bday, decided on a Z 1/1/16 and bought it. Then decided on a 996, bought one in May. Then decided on a TT this summer. Missed two on the west coast, best for it. Another in Seattle, that was found to have 1501 over revs. Another in NM but had trouble getting a PPI. Meantime one near me 18 miles away, since May, 43k miles, wanted too much. Planned to go see it, kept putting it off, finally saw it, nearly perfect, he came down $4K, passed lowxal PPI with flying colors, now mine. Sold the Z, 996 for sale, a little patience would have helped, but all worked out in and am so please with my TT-still can't believe it is mine...c
Old 12-18-2016, 11:44 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

you are wise to opt for the 997. in general terms, and as you know, 911's are improved with each iteration and even mid model update.

if i were you, i'd also spend the additional 20 for a 997.1 tt. it seems to be within your budget, and the last of the mezger engined twin turbo's.
Old 12-20-2016, 06:12 PM
HardHitter
Racer

Man, I keep going back and forth. You can get so much for your money for a 996 vs spending the extra $15-$20K just to get a stockish 997.
Old 12-20-2016, 06:59 PM
docboy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HardHitter
Man, I keep going back and forth. You can get so much for your money for a 996 vs spending the extra $15-$20K just to get a stockish 997.
I went through same ordeal recently. I just couldn't justify spending $20-25k extra for a 997tt when the two are essentially the same car. I looked at 996 C4S, 997.1tt, 997.1S, 996 Targa, 991S, and 9914S. Came down to 996tt, 997.1tt and 991S. Then it came to 996tt and 991S after deciding the 997.1tt didn't really do anything for me emotionally. Settled on a 996tt due to it being at bottom of depreciation curve and the addictive turbo rush. Who knows, I may get a 991S later when it bottoms out...

Then again, a 911 is an emotional purchase, there's nothing rational about a 911, variant be dammed. Get the one you want
Old 12-20-2016, 07:08 PM
HardHitter
Racer

Originally Posted by docboy
I went through same ordeal recently. I just couldn't justify spending $20-25k extra for a 997tt when the two are essentially the same car. I looked at 996 C4S, 997.1tt, 997.1S, 996 Targa, 991S, and 9914S. Came down to 996tt, 997.1tt and 991S. Then it came to 996tt and 991S after deciding the 997.1tt didn't really do anything for me emotionally. Settled on a 996tt due to it being at bottom of depreciation curve and the addictive turbo rush. Who knows, I may get a 991S later when it bottoms out...

Then again, a 911 is an emotional purchase, there's nothing rational about a 911, variant be dammed. Get the one you want
Luckily, I don't need to consider a 991

From what I can gather, I can get a pretty much properly modified 996 (wheels, brakes, suspension, clutch, aftermarket turbos, tune) in the $50-$55K range for a "higher mileage" car (40-50k miles).

For that same cost, you could may be able to find a 997.1 with high miles (60-70K) with probably exhaust and a tune

To get a 997.1 in the 40-50k mile range, with exhaust and typically tune, you're starting to push into the $65-$70K range and then something with similar mods as a built 996, probably hitting close to the $80s.

In summary: fully built 996 - $55K; mild modified 997 - $70K; fully built 997 - $80K

So what is it about the 997 that makes you spend the extra $15-$20K? Sure, exterior is "better looking". Interior is "better quality" but is it $15k-$20k worth? If I went with the 996, would I kick myself a year in saying I should have spent the money on the 997? haha, so many questions!
Old 12-20-2016, 09:03 PM
docboy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HardHitter
If I went with the 996, would I kick myself a year in saying I should have spent the money on the 997? haha, so many questions!
Tis the $20-25k question. Both great cars in their own right... first world problems
Old 12-21-2016, 06:56 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 116 Posts

I also went through the 996/997 dilemma.. I had a 997.2 C4 previously and wanted more power. Went with the 996 for same reason as mentioned; bottom of depreciation and found a great deal locally. Also like how the 996 feels more raw and emotional. The 997 does everything a little bit better (Some things a lot better).

40k-50k miles is nothing.. There is a member here that just rolled over 500k miles (I think it is this board).. I went with a higher mileage car (80k miles) so I wouldn't feel bad modifying it, tracking it, and driving it whenever and wherever I wanted. Would have felt like I needed to be extra careful with a lower mileage car.... I still want a 997TT, but since the 996 and 997.1 share so much, I'd probably go with a 997.2TT with PDK. I had PDK on my C4 and loved it.

Quick Reply: First Post: Looking to buy