Sponsored by:

Weight Reduction

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2003, 06:22 PM
Apex Late
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Weight Reduction

This is a question for the tuning experts.

I primarily use my 02 TT for track days. I am an instructor and I have a fair bit of seat time behind the wheel of racecars. As we are all aware, at 3400 lbs the TT is not a racecar and was likely never intended to be pushed to its limits on the track. Pushing the car as I have has resulted in a number of brake related problems. I considered getting rid of the car and moving to a GT2 or GT3 but the market is not great and I am not looking to take a bath on a perfectly good car. I have decided to cut weight and upgrade brakes to make the car more useable for my purposes. This brings me to my question.

Firstly, I believe that the two best (performance wise) brake options are the Brembo GT and the Brembo Le Mans. Is that an accurate assessment? As an added bonus I will save between 27-38 lbs of Un-sprung weight, which is good. My next question is, if performance is my main concern, is it better to continue with Un-sprung weight reductions like BBS Magnesium wheels (20lbs) or look at greater overall weight reductions like GT3 Seats (60lbs)? I am aware that both would be the best option and I may in fact go in that direction but my question is incase I have to choose. I am not sure how power to weight ratios are affected by un-sprung vs. sprung weight reductions.

Your opinions are greatly appreciated.
Old 11-02-2003, 01:09 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Apex Late,

What brake pads are you using? If you're using stock, I expect you will greatly reduce or completely eliminate your braking problems by going to a more track orientated pad. This is assuming that the problem you are encountering is fade.
Old 11-02-2003, 04:09 AM
msindi
Three Wheelin'

Chad - do you have the part numbers for those brake air ducts/deflectors??
Old 11-02-2003, 12:10 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts

I think the seat replacement is a GREAT idea, as well as many other interior changes that could save weight and not detract too much from the "GT" ideal that the 996 really has come into.

Those power seats are usually quite heavy, and a good racing seat is 15 pounds or less.

YOu guys in the 996 cars have TONS of aftermarket body parts that would lighten the car considerably, but then you may run into the beast not being a street car anymore.

Why not some more power and remove about 500 pounds. With the bigger brakes, those should do I would think.
Old 11-02-2003, 05:49 PM
ypshan
Instructor

Chad, Can you post a picture of the replaced ducts?
Old 11-03-2003, 09:42 AM
Apex Late
Instructor

adrial,

I have been using pagid orange pads. The problem I have is not fade it's warping. The car is very heavy and I am only running about 3 seconds off of the GT3 cup times at the same track. I know that I am pushing the car too hard but I just cant help myself. It wouldn't be enjoyable any other way.

CJV,

I currently have the GT2 ducts on the car. Are the GT3 ducts much different? I was considering a ducting kit more in line with a racecar set up.

Additionally, I have not read anything that compares performance for sprung vs. unsprung weight. Is there anyone out there with this informaiton? I just drive em' I dont know much about the engineering side of the equation.

Thanks again
Old 11-03-2003, 02:17 PM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

I agree with what others have been saying. Go after cooling first. It is cheap and extremely effective.

There is a lot of tehcnical information on the subject (Miliken), but I have not seen any specific data on unsprung weight on Pcars.

Quick Reply: Weight Reduction