Sponsored by:

CHECK IT OUT!!! (Sequential Shifter)

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 05:44 PM
coloradocayenne4
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Carlo

If it has an auto blipper set up and you are using the clutch most of the time , I dont see how it would eat the syncros?
Old 07-21-2018, 06:37 PM
32krazy!
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by coloradocayenne4
Carlo

If it has an auto blipper set up and you are using the clutch most of the time , I dont see how it would eat the syncros?
what you bought isnt a dogbox. its merely a different way to shift the gears in a front to back pattern vs h pattern. you will need to use the clutch just like always or it will tear the syncros in short order
Old 07-21-2018, 07:47 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,471 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Carlo

I think if you read posts #3 and #5 from this thread it answers all your questions.

This isn't a true sequential system. It just mimics the action without the advantages of speeding up the process.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:49 PM
Rvca3112
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
I think if you read posts #3 and #5 from this thread it answers all your questions.

This isn't a true sequential system. It just mimics the action without the advantages of speeding up the process.
yea but the obvious advantage of this system that no one is failing to mention is it takes away the possibility of money shifting your car. I don’t see how this could really cause much damage to the transmission when all it’s doing is making sure you’re going from 1>2>3>4>5>6 and 6>5>4>3>2>1 instead of going full throttle and going from 4>3 instead of 4>5
Old 07-21-2018, 11:55 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,846 Likes on 1,081 Posts

Sorry to revive the really old thread

does anyone have one of these SQS "sequential shifter installed in either a street car or track car? what was the longevity of the system and what were the negatives during ownership ( if any)?
did anyone notice wear to the syncros or other transmission wear?
once installed was there ever any maintenance? what about water and the electrical/ mechanical elements on the system?

any info in appreciated.

also can the system be used with an Electrical auto blip system or does it have to be used with a mechanical one?

Thanks
One of my good Colorado track friends had the SQS shifter installed in his 6GT3 a few years back. He absolutely hated it and had nothing but problems with it. He took it out in short order and sold it replacing it with a trusted 6Cup shifter. YMMV....

Last edited by powdrhound; 07-22-2018 at 12:16 AM.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:13 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rvca3112

yea but the obvious advantage of this system that no one is failing to mention is it takes away the possibility of money shifting your car. I don’t see how this could really cause much damage to the transmission when all it’s doing is making sure you’re going from 1>2>3>4>5>6 and 6>5>4>3>2>1 instead of going full throttle and going from 4>3 instead of 4>5
Even with this system you can still downshift too quickly and overrev.

The only true way to prevent the money shift is with a PDK or a Tip.
Old 07-22-2018, 01:03 PM
coloradocayenne4
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Carlo how many sequential shift systems have you worked with?

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Every sequential shifter system that I have ever worked with required a ton of maintenance and repair. They eat syncros. They are really for serious track use only.
I am not sure you read my question correctly, I know that if you were to shift any manual system without the clutch it would damage the syncros, but I was curious as to why I have seen a few posts about SQS sequential shifters being hard on syncros? unless shifted without the clutch what is causing the damage?
I also know that this system is not a sequential gearbox, curious as to what part of this system needs maintenance and what other systems you have worked with , I did not know that there were other sequential shifters for P cars other than this one.?
Thanks
Old 07-22-2018, 02:26 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I am not sure you read my question correctly, I know that if you were to shift any manual system without the clutch it would damage the syncros, but I was curious as to why I have seen a few posts about SQS sequential shifters being hard on syncros? unless shifted without the clutch what is causing the damage?
I also know that this system is not a sequential gearbox, curious as to what part of this system needs maintenance and what other systems you have worked with , I did not know that there were other sequential shifters for P cars other than this one.?
Thanks
This system is hard on the synchros because every time you upshift or downshift you must cycle through all the gears to get to the gear you want.

For example if you are cruising along a highway that has traffic lights you may be in fourth when a light ahead goes red. Most drivers in that instance will maybe down shift once and then pull the car out of gear and coast/brake to a stop. Then put the car in first and take off with a green light. With this system you have downshift through every gear to get to first. That puts a heavier work load on the synchros, even when using the clutch. The clutch does not insulate the synchro from the work it has to do. Which is exactly what the fellow wrote in post #5

Last edited by Carlo_Carrera; 07-22-2018 at 03:38 PM.

Quick Reply: CHECK IT OUT!!! (Sequential Shifter)