Frustrated - thinking of selling

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 10:29 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by techweenie
^^^ This.

You know it has a new clutch, flywheel, seats, windshield, radiator. You know other problems have been sorted. You know the scrape is relatively minor.

It's the devil you know. The difference between what you'll get for your car and what you'll pay for the next could cover everything your present car might need for the next 2 years.
I've usually kept my used cars for quite a while because when I buy one, I fix what's wrong and want to recoup the expense. Your list is pretty short for repairs over the last 2 years if you tale out the clutch.

A determining factor for me would be what other items do you need to fix ?

You've had the car for 2 years and know what you have
Old 09-07-2016, 11:15 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

All in all, minor list.
There's no such thing as a cheap Porsche, you either pay up front or pay later.
Old 09-08-2016, 12:12 AM
breakfast
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

most of that as mentioned are wear items.

Welcome to the world of used german sports cars....or any used car for that matter. The pcar tax does hurt though.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:06 AM
Natethegreat
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
what do you mean if you had the cash?
you have been posting that you are looking to buy 996turbo or 997 for a while. Do you have the money or not? if so just say you are interested and go from there.
I could always get the cash that is the easy part. The hard part is living with the car and not being able to afford to take care of it.

Why you make me feel bad?

I feel bad for the guy
Old 09-08-2016, 01:04 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by 911mhawk

A determining factor for me would be what other items do you need to fix ?

You've had the car for 2 years and know what you have
This would be key for me... Unless you are planning to jump to a different platform completely, I would stay with the devil I know vs the devil I don't..
Old 09-08-2016, 01:15 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks for all the feedback, guys.

I must confess I am really torn on this one. I do love the car, just these days I feel that I am always looking over my shoulder for what's next...
Old 09-08-2016, 01:15 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Welcome to the world of used german sports cars....or any used car for that matter. The pcar tax does hurt though.
Check out my signature.... there is a 951 i have owned twice. I knew going in that it be pricey
Old 09-08-2016, 04:58 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 311 Likes on 214 Posts

So what is wrong with your car?

If I sold every car my wife put scratches on I'd be walking to work!

I'm interested in your suspension if you want to sell it.
Old 09-08-2016, 05:08 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

My wife tears the crap out of our cars too. That's why she never drives any of the Porsches, except her Cayenne S. We had an E55 AMG several years ago. What she did to that car was criminal.
Old 09-09-2016, 12:55 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by Natethegreat
I could always get the cash that is the easy part. The hard part is living with the car and not being able to afford to take care of it.

Why you make me feel bad?

I feel bad for the guy
you make no sense. you ask opinions which members take the time to share about buying a pcar then you say if you had the money you would probably buy his car then you say getting the cash is the easy part? do you mean taking it out of the bank account, borrowing for it or making it? you make no sense?
if getting the money is the easy part then buy his car or another one. Any used car will require repairs at some time
and pcars cost more. Are you looking for a porsche and can you afford it?
Old 09-11-2016, 02:34 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by fbgh2o
Thanks for all the feedback, guys.

I must confess I am really torn on this one. I do love the car, just these days I feel that I am always looking over my shoulder for what's next...
Well, maybe then it is time to sell the car and move on.

My thinking is I don't want to own a car I live in fear of. I sold a pretty nice VW Golf TDi simply because I was unable to get good servicing. Every dealer I took the car to screwed up or screwed with me. A nearby dealer replaced the timing belt and re-used the engine mount bolts. These failed and the engine damn near fell out of the car.

Another dealer, this one in Albuquerque, when the V-belt snapped, told me it was going to add 40% to the parts cost to get the parts in sooner. I asked about the wait time if I elected to not pay the 40% fee and was told the parts should be in around spring.... It was the last part of December. I paid but left hating the dealer and VW.

I sold a nice GTO after getting tired of everytime I took the car in for service at either a local GM dealer -- since closed (Yay!) -- or to a Pontiac dealer where I bought the car -- and having a tech or the kid that shuttles cars around hot rod the car. The GM tech took the car out on his lunch break and thrashed the car up to 90mph in town. I had a tracking device in the car.

So, I have been known to get rid of cars that I feared for one reason or another.

You have to be sure you don't jump from the firing pan into the fire, though. I sold the VW. Not long afterwards I bought the GTO. In hindsight a mistake.
Old 09-12-2016, 01:54 AM
Ck986
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I get that feeling from time to time. Then I go out for a drive and it goes away. My problem is I horde parts and upgrades so am spending money on the car. I have replaced or painted many plastic bits as I want the car to feel new. I also need a new windshield as I recently got a small crack.

Not considering finances, I would repaint the car. I hear it runs 5-7k for a good job. I just repainted my wheels and love the new look. Find a good shop and do something unique to it. I think most have a nice chunk of change into the car and at 75k miles I'm not surprised with your experience.

Then again I was without a porsche for two months and it felt a bit liberating (not worrying about the car). I haves owned a porsche for 16 years to me these cars are a hobby and not really a form of transport.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:13 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Okay. Have been driving it. It is such a fun time. I guess it is time to figure out the repaint coat and decide what colour I am going to go with
Old 09-12-2016, 10:42 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you plan on keeping longer term that sounds fine, if selling in the next few years it will be a big loss financially= that may not be a factor either? Good luck.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:53 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by fbgh2o
Okay. Have been driving it. It is such a fun time. I guess it is time to figure out the repaint coat and decide what colour I am going to go with
That is better. Maybe just get it touched up/cleaned up in to a nice driver again, so you don't want to kill someone next time it gets scuffed.

If you had replaced it with a nice lower mileage cream puff think of how happy you would if that got scuffed up. And you would be less inclined to drive it in rain, snow, city traffic, moose country at dusk etc...

Last edited by fpb111; 09-12-2016 at 11:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Frustrated - thinking of selling