Boost leak from Y-Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 10:24 PM
kentburlingame
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boost leak from Y-Pipe

Hello all,

My '01 recently started throwing CELs when putting around on typical roads, and the shop informed me (after having cleared the code the first time because there wasn't any discernible cause) that I have a boost leak due to a failed/failing y-pipe. I had heard from a fellow Porsche owner (he owns a 930) that these are prone to failing, and so I'd prefer to replace it with an aftermarket solution instead of opening myself up to having another OEM one fail on me.

I've spent nearly an entire workday looking for a couple options and have only been able to find 4.

There's this one from BBi/IPD: http://ipdplenums.com/products/plenu...6-turbosx50gt2 (scroll to bottom of the page)

One from markski: https://markskituning.com/product/ma...pe-intake-kit/ (but I don't really want to go MAFless)

This one from SpeedTech: http://www.speedtechexhausts.com/ast...-28-16_018.htm

And then another from a brand I won't post here, but have done some research and consensus seems to be that their quality is questionable, so I will be avoiding that.

Are there any additional recommendations that I should check out? What are other people doing for this (for those whose y-pipes have been the source of boost leaks)?

Thanks in advance.

-Kent
Old 07-01-2016, 10:45 PM
kmagnuss
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I think EVOMS makes one but I'm not sure.
Old 07-02-2016, 03:21 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Are you confident in the shop's assessment and that it is not a leak somewhere else? Haven't heard of a lot of Y pipes needing to be replaced for leaking, maybe get another opinion if available. Where are you located?
Old 07-02-2016, 05:13 AM
ghostofpain
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I doubt its the y-pipe itself.
Where is the leak? Go there and let them show it to u. Soapwater can make it visual.
Old 07-02-2016, 08:12 AM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

i havent heard of a y pipe ever failing. its cast metal. whats to fail? the clips that hold it onto the i/c can fail but easily replaced. the gasket behind the t/b can fail again easily replaced.

remember all the y pipes you posted are much larger than stock and likely wont fit if you are retaining the stock airbox setup. time to make the shop prove the y pipe is bad. and if for some reason it is i have a stock unit ill sell for less than new and save you the hassles of aftermarket unless thats what you want
Old 07-02-2016, 09:06 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The most prone to failure leaks are check valve 16, cbv, f pipe and people not connecting hoses correctly after service.
Old 07-02-2016, 10:55 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

more than likely ( +1 ) just a new clip needed. my oem's last for decades lol.. but yes to checking #16 also i/c hoses.
Old 07-02-2016, 11:07 AM
kentburlingame
AutoX

I was fairly confident in their assessment of the y-pipe failure until asking here.

911mhawk, I'm in the greater Seattle area. I had taken the car to Porsche Bellevue as it was the only shop open - that I know of - on the weekend when the CEL had initially occurred though typically don't go there. I'll try going back today to see if they can do the soapwater test as ghostofpain suggested. If they're not willing, there are a large number of indy shops I can take it to to get things sorted, one of which I'm in contact with for the possible replacement.

also, 32krazy!, as you brought it up, I no longer have a stock air intake, I put in the EVOMS unit, but had noticed that both the BBi/IPD and the markski setups didn't look to leave space for either. suppose that answers my questions there.

clearly need to do a bit more research on this (must admit it was surprising that I could find so little when research failed y-pipes, but now it makes sense). thanks for all the help.
Old 07-03-2016, 03:28 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by kentburlingame
I was fairly confident in their assessment of the y-pipe failure until asking here.

911mhawk, I'm in the greater Seattle area. I had taken the car to Porsche Bellevue as it was the only shop open - that I know of - on the weekend when the CEL had initially occurred though typically don't go there. I'll try going back today to see if they can do the soapwater test as ghostofpain suggested. If they're not willing, there are a large number of indy shops I can take it to to get things sorted, one of which I'm in contact with for the possible replacement.

also, 32krazy!, as you brought it up, I no longer have a stock air intake, I put in the EVOMS unit, but had noticed that both the BBi/IPD and the markski setups didn't look to leave space for either. suppose that answers my questions there.

clearly need to do a bit more research on this (must admit it was surprising that I could find so little when research failed y-pipes, but now it makes sense). thanks for all the help.
Let us know how it worked out going back to the shop.
Like you said there are several good options in our area.
PM me if you want, boost leak testing is pretty easy to do yourself with a compressor, regulator and homemade tester. Getting to some of the leaks may not be as easy as finding them!
Old 07-05-2016, 08:53 PM
kentburlingame
AutoX

called the shop Saturday, but never heard back from them.

As I haven't had the issue reproduce for over a week, I'm going to assume that the shop tightened whichever clamps/hoses may have been at fault. The indy shop I was looking at suggested a smoke test the next time an issue occurs. Is this similar to the soap water test or can it produce more false negatives?

Regardless, thanks all for the replies, and 911mhawk, I'll reach out if I need some assistance moving forward (will likely be via email as I don't have the ability to PM that I know of).
Old 07-06-2016, 09:37 AM
32krazy!
Drifting

called the shop Saturday, but never heard back from them.

As I haven't had the issue reproduce for over a week, I'm going to assume that the shop tightened whichever clamps/hoses may have been at fault. The indy shop I was looking at suggested a smoke test the next time an issue occurs. Is this similar to the soap water test or can it produce more false negatives?

Regardless, thanks all for the replies, and 911mhawk, I'll reach out if I need some assistance moving forward (will likely be via email as I don't have the ability to PM that I know of).
smoke test can find vacuum leaks as it sucks the smoke into the system. boost leak testing pressurizes the system and soapy water finds those leaks since bubbles form from the escaping air.
Old 07-06-2016, 02:11 PM
kentburlingame
AutoX

so do they test two separate things? or is it a "more than one way to skin a cat" type deal?
Old 07-06-2016, 07:32 PM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

so do they test two separate things? or is it a "more than one way to skin a cat" type deal?
smoke test can find a vacuum leak. pressure test will find vacuum and boost leak.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:26 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Yes its 2 different ways to find leaks
Old 07-06-2016, 11:16 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

if you have to test one way only? pressure test every time from the turbos. it's never failed to find any existing leaks using that method.

Quick Reply: Boost leak from Y-Pipe