Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering something crazy

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 04:51 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

yeah. much as i want another 993. many of them cost more than when i rolled one off of the showroom floor!

when is that phenomenon going to occur to the market value of these? i should live that long.
Old 06-05-2016, 06:05 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I believe the pricing of the air cooled cars is going to get more reasonable wait and see.
Old 06-05-2016, 06:48 PM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 153 Likes on 95 Posts

RMC Your father sounds like a very wise man, you're lucky to have him as a tutor. Yes I think we have hit ceiling with pricing, there are already signs the market is softening, at least here in oz.

Steve McQueen, thanks for the well wishes on my new addition to be.

The Dude, Agricultural might be a "slightly" too strong of a word but you do get my drift. You really need to go out and drive a few of these AC cars, you'll quickly make up your mind then which way you would prefer to go. Good luck with it.
Old 06-05-2016, 07:18 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rmc1148
I believe the pricing of the air cooled cars is going to get more reasonable wait and see.
True, 930 s currently correcting 15-20%, possibly more by fall.
Old 06-05-2016, 11:02 PM
cdk4219
Rennlist Member

Received 327 Likes on 230 Posts

t
Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
Oh and I think the bit about the coolant lines "fast becoming a common problem for all these cars" or whatever the wording is completely false and extremely misleading so I strongly recommend to remove it.
Yes the adhesive will definately improve with age, so as the car gets older the glue will get stronger. The first generation cayenne plastic coolant pipes are also improving with age, like a fine wine! This is what happens with all old cars, the flexible rubber and plastic parts age gracefully and improve with time.! The plastic radiator ends won't leak either! Your strong recommendation is silly!
Old 06-05-2016, 11:27 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I think what he meant was that the coolant issue isn't nearly as prevalant in the 996tt/gt3 as in the early 997tt/Gt3, which is factual.
Old 06-05-2016, 11:49 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
I think what he meant was that the coolant issue isn't nearly as prevalant in the 996tt/gt3 as in the early 997tt/Gt3, which is factual.
I've read there were factory assembly of the coolant pipe issues that were corrected somewhere into the 997.1 TT run.
Old 06-06-2016, 01:12 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 552 Likes on 338 Posts

+1 on the 'correction' to occur on the air-cooled market...I think the REALLY nice/museum cars will hold a strong value while the 'normal' condition cars will head somewhere towards where they were a few years ago...big volume productions, how many are really being used/desired once purchased?....
Old 06-06-2016, 08:28 AM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 464 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by cdk4219
tYes the adhesive will definately improve with age, so as the car gets older the glue will get stronger. The first generation cayenne plastic coolant pipes are also improving with age, like a fine wine! This is what happens with all old cars, the flexible rubber and plastic parts age gracefully and improve with time.! The plastic radiator ends won't leak either! Your strong recommendation is silly!
Dude you're so funny! You're cracking me up!! You must be a comedian by trade.

Now, there isn't exactly an epidemic of coolant lines failing, is there? And that's despite the vast majority of cars not having had any work done to it.

I brought up the idea of welding the coolant lines on my car with three reputable shops, and all three said let's not do it unless you track the car real hard.

Saying that it's a pervasive problem and that cars that haven't had the welding are at a serious disadvantage is just scare mongering.
Old 06-06-2016, 09:00 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,375 Likes on 795 Posts

If you haven't driven an air cooled car yet, you need to. They are vastly different to the watercooled stuff.

For me, as a weekend car, I vastly prefer my 3tt to my 7tt. The 7tt is objectively a better car in every way, yet if I had to sell one of them, it would be the 7 with no hesitation.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:55 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Now, there isn't exactly an epidemic of coolant lines failing, is there? And that's despite the vast majority of cars not having had any work done to it.

I brought up the idea of welding the coolant lines on my car with three reputable shops, and all three said let's not do it unless you track the car real hard.

Saying that it's a pervasive problem and that cars that haven't had the welding are at a serious disadvantage is just scare mongering.
it isn't "scare mongering" for th_dude to mention in his ad that he spent nearly $2k repairing his coolant lines!

but really, why would you call out cdk for posting what for all appearances is AGREEING with what you have been saying? this is the only thing he said, and i am curious, what about it do you take exception to?!? and why is he a "comedian" for that post?

perhaps you need to read his ONE post again! sheesh.
Originally Posted by cdk4219
t

Yes the adhesive will definately improve with age, so as the car gets older the glue will get stronger. The first generation cayenne plastic coolant pipes are also improving with age, like a fine wine! This is what happens with all old cars, the flexible rubber and plastic parts age gracefully and improve with time.! The plastic radiator ends won't leak either! Your strong recommendation is silly!
he's AGREEING with you! LOL!
Old 06-06-2016, 12:05 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
it isn't "scare mongering" for th_dude to mention in his ad that he spent nearly $2k repairing his coolant lines!

but really, why would you call out cdk for posting what for all appearances is AGREEING with what you have been saying? this is the only thing he said, and i am curious, what about it do you take exception to?!? and why is he a "comedian" for that post?

perhaps you need to read his ONE post again! sheesh.he's AGREEING with you! LOL!
Are you serious?
Old 06-06-2016, 12:32 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

of course. did you read his post?!

doesn't matter. you know what you thought he posted lol.

i'm moving on.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:32 PM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 184 Posts

I don't understand why it is FEAR MONGERING if a potential weakness that has been documents throughout the enthusiast forums is mentioned. His sarcasm is in response to others that bring a hammer down on others if something is mentioned that may disdain the brand. All cars have their documented weaknesses, 2nd gear popout and coolant line failures just happen to be two of the ones high on our car's lists.
Old 06-06-2016, 01:18 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
of course. did you read his post?!

doesn't matter. you know what you thought he posted lol.

i'm moving on.
Did you read it? Can you detect sarcasm? What part of "your strong recommendation is silly" suggests agreement?

Quick Reply: Considering something crazy