996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

996 turbo investment?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2016 | 07:55 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Yes having no mods is a big plus to most buyers, really is what brought a lot of serious buyers when selling mine. Agree 40k is more in line but hope he gets asking.
Old 06-15-2016 | 03:22 AM
Atrox
Drifting

^smells like an add for a guy who does not want to get rid of the car but rather a bide the time so wife gets off my case add.

Husband: "Trying to sale the car honey, but I'm only getting low ball offers"

Wife: "that's okay the right buyer will come along, thank you for respecting my wishes"

Score!
Old 06-15-2016 | 11:21 AM
88mmm
Instructor

Agreed that the price is way out of whack. Saw this a lot with the e30 M3 guys just to keep their wives happy. I wouldn't say that stock is preferred over lightly moded at this point. That won't happen until they are collectible 15+ years from now. When you've changed the body, interior, or significant changes to the drivetrain that's where you loose interest.
Old 06-15-2016 | 11:26 AM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

My 65K miles example has been listed for $65K for 2 years now. Haven't even gotten a nibble. DAMN! Guess I am stuck driving her..............
Old 06-15-2016 | 11:44 AM
rsh
Rennlist Member

This is a GREAT thread. Still looking for the right 996tt with x50 if anyone knows of one. Thanks!
Old 07-27-2016 | 02:09 PM
Mike72
Instructor

Did the x-50 gearbox suffer from the 2nd gear pop out issue also?
Old 07-27-2016 | 02:57 PM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Olemiss540
My 65K miles example has been listed for $65K for 2 years now. Haven't even gotten a nibble. DAMN! Guess I am stuck driving her..............
well played, sir, well played!
Old 07-27-2016 | 11:29 PM
Mike72
Instructor

I am currently in the market for a 996TT and I am noticing that a lot of the cars in Canada were original sold and owned in the US and then imported into Canada. Would there be any reason from a future value standpoint that I should try to find a Canadian delivered car or would it make no difference?
Old 07-27-2016 | 11:40 PM
Speedyellow993
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Condition, options and mileage is more important where it was shipped in North America.

I typically lean towards a U.S. car from a warm state. I find that the U.S. Cars generally have more factory options too.
Old 07-27-2016 | 11:46 PM
Mike72
Instructor

Originally Posted by Speedyellow993
Condition, options and mileage is more important where it was shipped in North America.

I typically lean towards a U.S. car from a warm state. I find that the U.S. Cars generally have more factory options too.
Thanks,

Another question I have is regarding a PPI at a Porsche dealer. Would a standard PPI include a compression test and some level of inspection to confirm if it is original paint ie. paint thickness check?
Old 07-27-2016 | 11:51 PM
911-AL
Rennlist Member

My newly listed 996 checks all the "investment" if not just simply drool worthy boxes. X50, RUF Aero, Carrera White, Natural Brown Full Leather with Sport Seats, HREs, Suspension. As many of you know I have always been bullish on 996's and I feel that I've priced her at market pricing.

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...l#post13483382
Old 07-27-2016 | 11:54 PM
Edlebby
Instructor

Originally Posted by tdrimer
Im not afraid to say that i bought my tt x50 because i believe i can drive it and make money down the road. If My plan fails i know I will have enjoyed this bad *** car and make my money back.
as someone who bought a 2004 996 TT X50 car a week ago, 26K miles (now 27) I can say this was exactly my logic - and i plan to daily drive it
Old 07-28-2016 | 04:21 AM
SimonK
Burning Brakes

If your's is a garage queen it may prove to be an investment. My problem is I just can't keep it in the garage and I therefore drive it daily. So, I will have a high mileage car and despite these engines being bullet proof, high mileage cars probably won't be selling well unless someone in the know is after it. Having said this someone once wrote in one of the forums this about super-cars which made me pause and think; "Having a super-car and keeping it parked in a garage (to save mileage), is like dating a super model and not ban#%ng her because you are saving her for the next guy"! 996TT put's a smile on my face every time I drive it, damn the investment. There is however an investment going on for sure; I am investing in it every time something breaks down! Ha ha ha!
Old 07-28-2016 | 11:33 AM
gophaster
Pro

+1 !! LOL ... The car is paying you back on your investment every single time you fire her up and take it for a drive. What good is having an amazing car around if it doesn't earn it's keep !!!

Originally Posted by SimonK
If your's is a garage queen it may prove to be an investment. My problem is I just can't keep it in the garage and I therefore drive it daily. So, I will have a high mileage car and despite these engines being bullet proof, high mileage cars probably won't be selling well unless someone in the know is after it. Having said this someone once wrote in one of the forums this about super-cars which made me pause and think; "Having a super-car and keeping it parked in a garage (to save mileage), is like dating a super model and not ban#%ng her because you are saving her for the next guy"! 996TT put's a smile on my face every time I drive it, damn the investment. There is however an investment going on for sure; I am investing in it every time something breaks down! Ha ha ha!
Old 07-28-2016 | 12:28 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mike72
Thanks,

Another question I have is regarding a PPI at a Porsche dealer. Would a standard PPI include a compression test and some level of inspection to confirm if it is original paint ie. paint thickness check?
The PPI would not likely include a compression test. For a Turbo especially a compression test involves some labor.

It was Porsche techs who pointed out to me compression tests are not as useful as they were before modern engine control systems appeared.

The DME checks the "compression" of every cylnder every power cycle and flags those cylinders that under (or over) perform. If the number gets too high the CEL is turned on and one or more misfire error codes are logged.

Thus the "best" compression test you can do is to road test the vehicle which of course has the enginei running at various RPMs and under various loads and all the time the DME is constantly monitoring every cylinder's behavior.

If there was a compression problem the DME would have the CEL on.

For a paint meter check of the car you'll have to ask if the PPI includes this.

While I have not observed this being done I would expect a tech when checking a vehicle being offered as a trade-in or going thorugh a CPO check out to check the paint with a paint meter, although I can tell you Porsche techs (and I'm sure this is true of other brand techs as well) can spot a car with body/paint work a mile away with no need for a paint meter check.

Quick Reply: 996 turbo investment?