Sponsored by:

Buying unseen because of distance

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 07:55 PM
MotoJB
Three Wheelin'

Received 596 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by pranqster
Guys and Gals, Don't bust Callas until you find out what the quote was for. I have had a PPI completed by Callas, and it was worth a hell of a lot more than some $400.00 PPI's I have gotten on other cars. They have various levels of service they provide. I do not recall exactly how much mine was, but it was worth every penny. My PPI by Callas was very complete when they did my GT3. They did a leakdown, compression, complete ecu dump, checked total hours versus claimed hours via average speed, checked for shavings in oil and transmission, and ran a paint meter over the entire car. They even picked up where the ash tray was not properly closing. Then they spent an enormous amount of time over the phone explaining it to me. Obviously there are many ways to purchase a car. Callas offers a very complete PPI for those that want a very complete PPI. I looked at it as preventative maintenance. You do not get a second chance on getting a seller to fix items that are not working properly.

Regards, Pranqster

I agree that their PPI pricing sounds astonishingly high...but also agree that most people don't realize there are some shops that offer much more thorough PPI's.

Most offer the less detailed, $200-400 PPI. Others offer extreme levels of detail, should you be willing to pay for it.

I wouldn't but I sure paid for it later...
Old 05-20-2016, 07:56 PM
airkewl
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

[QUOTE=911mhawk;13304073]Cantrell's and Aker's.
+1 Cantrell, particularly if you intend to track.
Old 05-20-2016, 08:37 PM
techweenie
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by BenHay
Thanks for the feedback. If anyone in the Torrance area (LA) has a few minutes to spare please let me know!
That could be me - send a PM...
Old 05-20-2016, 09:10 PM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by christallon

Pristine is Huntington Beach may be a good option. Ask for Gloria. You could also have the car taken to TLG in North Hollywood, but that may be farther away and into the "traffic zone" of LA. Pristine is about 20 miles down the coast from Torrance.
I wouldn't use Pristine. I ended up buying a 993 from them (won't get into the story here) but Dick was a complete *** about me taking my future 993 to Vision Motorsports for a PPI.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:38 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 407 Posts

$1400 for a leakdown and compression test is highway robbery.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:07 PM
Alan A
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Van1
... but Dick was a complete *** ...
It's a failing on my part. But I still LOLd at this.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:19 PM
kmagnuss
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

The car I just bought is a perfect example of why not to buy sight unseen.
Listed at "nearly perfect". Owned by an attorney who was "**** about fixing any little thing" and a surgeon before that. The PO and i hit it off and I genuinely like the guy, but the only reason I bought this car was because of how cheap it was and the mods it had that I would have done in the future most likely anyway. The 'nearly perfect' car has had a full paint job on the whole car, a poorly done respray on the front bumper, literally 50+ rock chips on the front bumper, a couple places where there's some light rust under chips on the hood, the front spoiler was cracked and about to fall off, one headlight film had come off and the other is starting to peel, etc, etc... The inside is worse than the outside. Hole in the driver's seat bolster, tears in the full leather option in a couple places, overall pretty filthy interior, dog hair all over and the scratches to go with it, etc.... Car throws a o2 sensor code pretty much daily due to the cats on there... I can tell you I would have been absolutely kick a baby seal p*ssed if I had seen this sight unseen expecting it to be 'near perfect'... but I got it cheap and it's what I expected for the money I paid so I'm cool with it.
Old 05-21-2016, 09:34 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by kmagnuss
The car I just bought is a perfect example of why not to buy sight unseen. Listed at "nearly perfect". .
exactly.. the point many have been making. in fact, i think the numbers of people NOT surprised by some issue(s?) undisclosed at time of an LD purchase by proxy or just merely without having physically kicked the tires oneself, would show them to actually be in the minority.

the rest are just plain lucky.
Old 05-21-2016, 10:51 AM
BenHay
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the responses guys (especially Rustle)
I continue the hunt..
Old 05-25-2016, 02:48 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Done this before, I had 2 friends look at the car - a BMW in Pasadena (little old lady, it was!) - 1 was a mechanic and 1 a BMW enthusiast. Worked perfectly!
Old 05-31-2016, 01:36 PM
BenHay
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,
Late last week I put on a deposit on a car close to me still need some wood to chop to finalize the deal (dealership is working on fixing a few stuffs and then I will do the PPI) but I wanted to report back that I did focus on my region and got lucky that this one became available right after I started this thread. I am paying a slight premium 5% vs a car further away but I think that is worst it (much less hassle and saving a ton on travel expenses)
Will keep you posted if it goes through as planned!!
Really excited, first Porsche
Old 05-31-2016, 02:09 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There is always something that is found/comes up after the sale and usually its a honest unknown issue or something small. It is best to have the car looked at by a pro but still not a guarantee.
Old 05-31-2016, 03:33 PM
Rustler
Instructor

Received 146 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by rmc1148
There is always something that is found/comes up after the sale and usually its a honest unknown issue or something small. It is best to have the car looked at by a pro but still not a guarantee.
Good luck, hope that purchase works out for you!
Old 05-31-2016, 03:59 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just sold my car but when I bought it there was a cracked interior piece that needed replacement, the mirror had leaked and needed repaired, also rear tires while good did not meet my standards. Nothing major but things that I thought made the car nicer. I always allow 10% of vehicle cost for whatever I may want or need to do.
Old 05-31-2016, 04:23 PM
KC-CarGuy
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

I have bought my last 4 cars from multiple dealerships across the country... without driving them or seeing them in person. No problems so far. Maybe I've been lucky.

I always do these things.
1 - Lots and lots and lots of pictures. If you see a problem area, ask for more pictures.
2 - Always get a PPI done, BUT NOT from person selling the car. Usually in the cost area of $250 to $350 so far. I ask the seller to name 3 dealers or indy's in the area. I pick one and have the car taken there.
3 - I ask the person doing the inspecting their thoughts on the seller.
4 - Ask the PPI inspector to take pictures
5 - Ask to talk to other customers the seller has sold to.
6 - Be prepared to walk away. They will always be another car.

All that being said, I'd rather drive it if I could.

Quick Reply: Buying unseen because of distance