BenHay
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks very much all for the feedback
Old 05-19-2016, 04:13 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

Bought all 5 of my Porsches sight basically unseen (964, 951, 996 C4, 928S4 and 996tt). However, on the 996tt, I paid a $1,000 non-refundable deposit before I saw the car and didn't transfer the balance of the purchase price until after I laid eyes and hands on it.

I was a little disappointed with the 928 - there were definitely some things not disclosed by the seller, but all of them were minor issues. I was very happy with the other 4 purchases.

I bought all 5 of my Porsches from private individuals. Therefore, I had info on the maintenance history on all 5 of them. I highly recommend buying from an owner over a dealership. I checked the backgrounds on all 5 of the sellers. Sometimes who you are buying from is as important as what you are buying.

I had a comfort level with what I was buying based on those private sellers, so I did not do a PPI on any of the 5 of them. However, I have done a PPI on 3 other Porsches, none of which I purchased - the little voice in the back of my mind just said to dig deeper with those particular sellers.

If I were buying from a dealership, I would do a PPI, even if buying from a Porsche dealer. Why the difference? The employees at the dealership really don't have any skin in the game if the buyer is unhappy. They get their commission and move on to the next deal - if there's a nasty surprise for the buyer, they just shrug their shoulders and pass you to management to deal with. A private seller is selling his own car, and if he's not intimately familiar with the car and not upfront with its warts (and they ALL have warts), then I'm not going to be comfortable taking his word on anything. If that's the case but I'm really interested in the car, then I'm verifying everything and will definitely do a PPI.

As for PPI costs, expect $150 on the low end and that won't include a really in-depth inspection, but will get a trained set of eyes on the car. As an example, for NA 996's, you definitely want to drop the sump plate and check for metal shavings (signifies IMS bearing starting to go out), and for that level of PPI, expect around $500. Depends on what model car you are looking at and what you want checked. For a 996tt, $150 to $500 would be a reasonable PPI fee.

Last edited by FRUNKenstein; 05-19-2016 at 05:11 PM.
Old 05-19-2016, 04:54 PM
Timeo
Advanced

Who would people recommend for a Seattle/Bellevue area PPI, other than the dealer?
Old 05-19-2016, 05:01 PM
José Ferreira
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BenHay
Hi everyone - just joined the forum but been reading a lot for the past couple of years. This is a gold mine of info so thanks all that contribute to it.

I am looking at a 996 TT at a Porsche dealership in California and live in NY so was curious to who would take the risk of buying without seeing / testing the car in person I understand most people on this forum would do a PPI even if the car comes from a reputable dealership. By the way, on this topic, I got quoted $2.5-3.5k (this is not a typo) for a thorough (2 days) PPI by Callas. Probably worth it on a $150k+ car but not on $50 I think..

Thanks for the feedback.
I can't help you because I'm so far away, but don't do it. it's a 10+ year car with issues, some minor, some not. Too risky.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:12 PM
tdrimer
Racer

I have bought all 10 P cars site unseen except 1. Had ppi done on half and always had thing that got missed. What I do is have a big list of questions when talking about the car that I know answers to. Sort of a test. I walk away from anyone no matter the car, that won't give out info or skirt around things or that I just generally don't like communications with. When I find that one person...the enthusiast, they will tell you a lot. They know the car, aren't just trying to flip it and will exchange texts and emails quickly. I will basically drive you nuts until I buy it.

I'm not against it...it's a gut feel though. Just my two pennies
Old 05-19-2016, 05:33 PM
sdm100
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 115 Posts
Default PPI

I bought mine from a well known pacific NW Porsche dealer and still had an independent PPI . A word of advice ...a good PPI involves removing the rear bumper to do compression etc.. Have the independent shop ( a must) give you a go or no go and if so pay the money while the bumper is off to do the plugs and coil packs. Saves money in the long run if you had to do it down the road. Just my experience
Old 05-19-2016, 05:51 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

haybenhay! i see consensus building about what you propose and think you'd be wise to heed the admonitions. gotta be something on the east coast? sometime patience will reward you.. or find a really competent shop ( added expense? ) and don't trust a porsche dealership unless it's a super low milage example. even still! caveat emptor.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:07 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

If the op is interested I know of a ruf converted Kompressor '03 996 c4s in ny?
Cool car
Old 05-19-2016, 06:31 PM
kmagnuss
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

There's a 29k mile black / black/ black cab 6 speed at Suncoast Porsche in Sarasota, FL right now for $55k... they'll take less. Probably around $50k. If something like that interests you I'd go do a fly by there and check it out. I know the service guy there and I'm on good terms with one of the salesmen there.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:38 PM
PorscheTuga911
Rennlist Member

I am also in the process of buying a car and just did a PPI.
As mentioned by most (all) I would highly recommend you do one. The dealer had done one that he showed to me but the one I paid for had a number of other things highlighted.
In my case, I am planning to buy the car and the PPI gave me the reason why price should come down or things to get fixed.
I paid $350 in the Dallas area.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:08 PM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Even with a PPI, until you sit in a car, start the engine, check every single switch and light and function, and then drive it the way you plan to drive it, you don't know what you are buying. You should know the car better than the seller. I flew to San Francisco for the day to drive a car that looked perfect on paper...but after a real hands on experience they would have had to pay me to take the car...on a flatbed...it was undriveable. Set your standards very high, don't let lust turn you into an easy John.
Old 05-20-2016, 01:02 AM
MotoJB
Three Wheelin'

Received 596 Likes on 335 Posts

Take it from me...don't buy without your own PPI...a thorough one.

I flew down to see my car in person (after a lot of research about the car and seller) and trusted what ended up being doctored up "recent PPI". I ended up rebuilding the transmission (and a bunch of other unexpected things within 1 month of ownership). Got the car that I wanted but I sure paid for it...
Old 05-20-2016, 01:35 AM
euge
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

For Seattle/Beelevue i would recommend Squire Autowerks, Redmond European, Chris's German. All are excellent shops i've used before many times.
Old 05-20-2016, 01:37 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Timeo
Who would people recommend for a Seattle/Bellevue area PPI, other than the dealer?
Cantrell's and Aker's.
PM me if you'd like help in Seattle.
There are a couple other options I could help facilitate depending on the scenario.
Old 05-20-2016, 02:17 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 564 Likes on 348 Posts

I do many PPI's for people....best advice is, put YOUR eyes, in-person, on the car...only way you can truly be happy with what you get....trivial things like brake wear(exclude PCCB), tire wear, etc. matter little to the overall experience,,,,

Quick Reply: Buying unseen because of distance