Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gauging interest- Titanium wheel studs

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 02:34 PM
GuardsTurbo
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pwdrhound is correct, the max tensile strength of Titanium is around 1200 MPa where Steel Alloy can have a max TS of around 2000 MPa. The problem is when torquing the bolts down, there is a greater risk of fracturing the Ti if over torqued.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:36 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by x50type
I was wondering how I can shave about 1 kilo of my 1400 kg - wow, that's 0.017428 % [weights are approximate].

Interesting.

I'm thinking 2 less burgers and a bike ride would cut more than the TI stuff.
A couple weeks back I pulled the rear seatbacks and was surprised at how much they weigh. That was free and so is the spare/frunk emptying. Remove the manual from the GB, if you have one. The heated electric seats are tanks too, compared manual buckets.

Makes me think of pudgy middle aged road cyclists talking about their lightweight bikes over bacon burgers and wheat beers.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:56 PM
Third-Reef
Three Wheelin'

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

My lug bolts are made from 6AL-4V Ti alloy. It has ultimate tensile of 950 Mpa, Yield of 880 and modulus of 113. 1020 cold rolled steel by comparison is 420, 350 and 186 respectively. There are steels that are much stronger than Ti alloys for sure. Typically Ti is considered the same strength as steel and 1/3 the weight, and slightly less rigid.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:40 PM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

clsund1 said, "possibly making titanium wheel studs to reduce rotational inertia"

I was taught rotational inertia, is the resistance of objects to changes in their rotation. In other words, a rotating object will stay rotating and a non-rotating object will stay non-rotating unless acted on by a torque. This should remind you of Newton's First Law.

How much do you think titanium lug nuts are going to change the rotational inertia and does that affect my trip to my local ice cream parlour? [the only place my hagerty insurance policy allows me to visit].

Inquiring minds want o know.
Old 05-11-2016, 04:07 PM
Third-Reef
Three Wheelin'

It totally changes the trip to the ice cream parlour. Everyone there will say "wow, look at your nuts"

Rotational inertia does not have as big an effect on the wheels lugs as it does on say a crankshaft. I would say almost non-existent. However un-sprung weight does have a significant effect on suspension performance.
Old 05-11-2016, 04:47 PM
KC-CarGuy
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Third-Reef
Just stop it! You guys are going to make me cry about my new jewelry. I feel so superficial. Oh, and I totally feel the difference just sitting in my car.
I've never told another man this, but those are nice looking nuts.
Old 05-11-2016, 04:54 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,893 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by clsund1
Bill,

I respect your opinion immensely since you've demonstrated time and time again a vast knowledge about our cars (which I don't come close to matching), but I'm having a really hard time reconciling what you're saying about Ti as a material and what I've seen and experienced with these applications.

There are different grades of Ti and the grade that would be used here is frequently used in the aerospace industry exactly because it is strong and light (it's an aluminum alloy). Perhaps you've seen Ti fail in the past? Perhaps it was a different grade?

As for the weight saving comments, no, it's not like removing your phone or CDs. while it is correct that the weight would be only removed from the center of the wheel and weight removed from the outer circumference makes a bigger difference in rotational inertia, it all adds up and this seems like a relatively cheap way to achieve that weight saving.

Reduction of rotational inertia is not a player here as you would be reducing mass from the center of the wheel instead of the perimeter. You would get a small amount of reduction in unsprung mass however.

I'm not going to get into a pissing contest about this matter. If there's no interest, I'll just leave it at that.
I'm not arguing as I'm certainly no metallurgist but point me to any race series that allows Ti wheel studs to be used. There must be a reason and cost certainly isn't one of them... IMSA, NASCAR, etc. all use steel studs. I would personally be OK with Ti lug nuts but not studs which are subject to slight bending loads.

Reduction of rotational inertia is not a player here as you would be reducing mass from the center of the wheel as opposed to the perimeter of the wheel. You would have a very slight reduction of unsprung mass however.
Old 05-11-2016, 05:05 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Unsprung mass...

Old 05-11-2016, 05:09 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by clsund1
Ok, so I spoke with the manufacturer and they stated that Ti has excellent heat resistance qualities that make it ideal for this type of application and that steel has the tendency to become brittle due to heat, especially for track type activities.

Here's something I found on the properties of Ti online. "One of titanium’s useful properties is a high melting point of 3135°F (1725°C). This melting point is approximately 400°F above the melting point of steel and approximately 2000°F above that of aluminum."

http://www.totalmateria.com/page.asp...operties&LN=EN
Dont think wheels get hot enough to bring heat into the equation.
Old 05-11-2016, 05:34 PM
Third-Reef
Three Wheelin'

They are "Functional Jewelry" on my car and as such they are doing a great job. I am no where near the limit on anything but my belt size. i don't know of any race series that would allow 60 year old knucklehead engineers without roll bars either.

Hard to beat alloy steel for things that need to be strong, tough and small.

Perhaps i should change my screen name to "Nads of Ti"
Old 05-11-2016, 06:02 PM
highlander
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Atrox
Titanium is commonly used for lug nuts, with the only aesthetic of "being auto jewelry".
Yup, and pretty shiny, shiny they are.
I'd have them in a heartbeat if I had wheels that leave them exposed.
Yes, I can be *that* superficial!
Old 05-12-2016, 12:50 AM
z06801
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Atrox
Unsprung mass...

That unsprung mass can out drive 99% of the people on here or anywhere
Old 05-12-2016, 01:31 AM
Third-Reef
Three Wheelin'

I have seen pictures of his/hers porsche. Anybody know the details? Personally, I will consider him Bruce until he has the lopitoffome operation.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:09 AM
Berra
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Not aiming at anyone here but it's always funny to see track day guys gutting their cars but are overweight themselves...cracks me up
Old 05-12-2016, 06:04 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Third-Reef
I have seen pictures of his/hers porsche. Anybody know the details? Personally, I will consider him Bruce until he has the lopitoffome operation.
Think he/she just got a GT3 Rs.

Quick Reply: Gauging interest- Titanium wheel studs