Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

996TT stock "Weird Handling" Confirm or Deny?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 09:44 PM
rloggie
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ +1
Old 05-04-2016, 10:23 PM
walleye
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My definition of weird handling...

I think I must have mentioned this in the other thread...

The weird feel is that the front end and back end do not seem to be in harmony. It's like they are doing two separate things. It's subtle... just a "not dialed in" feeling.

-Jeff
Old 05-04-2016, 10:38 PM
Jeff_DML
Instructor

Originally Posted by walleye
I think I must have mentioned this in the other thread...

The weird feel is that the front end and back end do not seem to be in harmony. It's like they are doing two separate things. It's subtle... just a "not dialed in" feeling.

-Jeff
The default torque split is 5% front/95% rear, are your sure you are not just feeling the power switching to the front?
Old 05-04-2016, 10:51 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoJB
Thanks, I will address...

Yes, they are putting in an OEM trans mount with a torque solution street insert...
that'll work!
Old 05-04-2016, 10:57 PM
NTY
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear Engine

My first rear engine car is a 996 GT3. It didn't give me confidence when I first had it. Rear engine car feels very different from a front engine car. The weightless front end feels odd at first. It took me a while to gain confidence and get used to it.

I'm a convert now and on I'm on my fourth 911
Old 05-04-2016, 11:08 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

^ nice! you're hooked lol. all of us. sliding is more fun with all that a** end weight huh... ha
Old 05-04-2016, 11:24 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

To the OP...I don't understand what you mean saying the front and rear are not in harmony...or whatever the heck you said...Have you ever driven any sports car with 400+ hp? (certainly not a miata...lol) Turbo charged? I personally think the stock 996TT is an exceptional example of a high performance, luxury, sports car (Yes, I am biased). Coming from an '80 SC and a '78 930, I can tell you it handles exceptionally...I'm not in agreement with the folks that dislike Klaus (That's what I call PSM...). After almost losing it multiple times in the 930 I couldn't wait to have HELP! I mean one time just making a right at the light with a little poke, I did a 360...I remember taping a $100 bill to the dash and telling my passenger when I say go, if you can grab the hundo its yours...never got it...LOL..but handling holly SH**

Anyway, I have replaced a number of suspension components including coilovers and drop links. They do improve the ride quite a bit, but OEM ain't bad...
Old 05-05-2016, 12:09 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wross996tt
To the OP...I don't understand what you mean saying the front and rear are not in harmony...or whatever the heck you said...Have you ever driven any sports car with 400+ hp? (certainly not a miata...lol) Turbo charged? I personally think the stock 996TT is an exceptional example of a high performance, luxury, sports car (Yes, I am biased). Coming from an '80 SC and a '78 930, I can tell you it handles exceptionally...I'm not in agreement with the folks that dislike Klaus (That's what I call PSM...). After almost losing it multiple times in the 930 I couldn't wait to have HELP! I mean one time just making a right at the light with a little poke, I did a 360...I remember taping a $100 bill to the dash and telling my passenger when I say go, if you can grab the hundo its yours...never got it...LOL..but handling holly SH** Anyway, I have replaced a number of suspension components including coilovers and drop links. They do improve the ride quite a bit, but OEM ain't bad...
In all fairness, coil overs and new sway bars completely transformed the cars handling from stock. Stock handling was fine, but those two mods really showed how much improvement was possible.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:51 AM
walleye
AutoX

Originally Posted by wross996tt
To the OP...I don't understand what you mean saying the front and rear are not in harmony...or whatever the heck you said...Have you ever driven any sports car with 400+ hp? (certainly not a miata...lol) Turbo charged? I personally think the stock 996TT is an exceptional example of a high performance, luxury, sports car (Yes, I am biased). Coming from an '80 SC and a '78 930, I can tell you it handles exceptionally...

Anyway, I have replaced a number of suspension components including coilovers and drop links. They do improve the ride quite a bit, but OEM ain't bad...
Ok, many seem to be focused on the Miata, but I did own a 400+hp Mustang. While I appreciate the level of skepticism, I'll provide additional points of my reference:

Mercedes McLaren SLR
Ferrari 599GTB
Gallardo 560-4
Murcielago

-Jeff
Old 05-05-2016, 02:32 AM
highlander
Instructor

My 6MT Coupe doesn't feel weird.

Compared to my '07 987S it feels both heavy and floaty, but has a ton more grip.
I can really feel when the LSD starts to work. To me it doesn't feel weird, just "planted".

Sounds to me like you maybe have some worn bushings either in the suspension, or as others have mentioned, worn/tired motor or transmission mounts.

As a reference, I am a nationally accredited BMWCCA, SCCA and PCA HPDE Instructor Mentor and have been mildly successful in national SCCA autocross events (and have a brace of PCA national autocross championships under my belt).

Hope you find what's causing the weirdness. Keep the group informed.
Old 05-05-2016, 02:37 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Yo, so since my motor is out for the trans job and other stuff...I should be replacing motor mounts?
Consider the solid rubber 964rs mounts, factory stuff and no vibration.
Also, you can go with longer bolts to enable lowering the engine further when needed with the nut still on for margin of safety.
https://c1552172.ssl.cf0.rackcdn.com/676088_x800.jpg
Old 05-05-2016, 04:17 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Thanks, I will address...

Yes, they are putting in an OEM trans mount with a torque solution street insert...
Save yourself the trouble and skip the torque solution inserts. You'll end up removing them and swapping in a 997 mount. Trust me...
Old 05-05-2016, 06:55 AM
z06801
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by powdrhound
Save yourself the trouble and skip the torque solution inserts. You'll end up removing them and swapping in a 997 mount. Trust me...
Just did this^
Old 05-05-2016, 07:01 AM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by walleye
Ok, many seem to be focused on the Miata, but I did own a 400+hp Mustang.
I had a 2011 GT, too, with a frpp tune. Wonderful car, wish I hadn't sold it.

Anyway like others have said, mass distribution front and rear will feel very different, that might have something to do with it.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:12 AM
SteveMFr
Instructor

Before you run around throwing any more money at it, you need to figure out if it is just your perception or if the car has an issue. Otherwise you'll end up selling it soon because it has cost you an arm and a leg and still feels like shi+ to drive. And you'll be badmouthing 996tts in bars all over your area of the country.

No 911 in good shape has ever felt weird to me. If you are taking the "weird" comment from the vid with Matt Farah, this was one persons opinion and he was talking about handling at the limit - not spirited street driving. The 996tt was set up by Porsche as a GT (as in grand touring) not as a track rat. It is heavier and softer than a GT3 and has AWD, but it has the same basic suspension as all 996/7s do, including the very last GT3 and 2 RSs.

IMO you either have a problem somewhere in the suspension/tires (not unlikely on a 12+ year old car) or you have a... funny perception of how a car is supposed to handle (unlikely given your history regardless if rear engined or not).

Have the car test driven by someone considered an authority on Porsches (not just an import car mechanic) or another 996tt owner in your area. And do not listen to advice regarding installing parts (especially aftermarket parts!) on the car until you have determined that the car is right to begin with or has been fixed.

My 35cents.

Quick Reply: 996TT stock "Weird Handling" Confirm or Deny?