Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

996TT stock "Weird Handling" Confirm or Deny?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 03:57 PM
walleye
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996TT stock "Weird Handling" Confirm or Deny?

I replied to someone else's comment about a perception / reality of weird handling of the 996TT out of the box:

"Maybe this needs its own thread, but having owned my 996TT for about a year, it has some of the most unusual feeling "handling" of any car I've driven. I was a long-time Miata owner with stock suspension, a short 2 year stint in a 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 (stock), and now daily a 2006 Mini Cooper S (stock).

So, given that the 996TT handling IS weird (if it's a given... I think so), and some tweaking is needed to make it NOT weird. What does a first round of tweaking look like? I have no interest in tracking my car, but I would like to make the handling a lot less weird, but not at a significant cost to NVH or ride quality. I have no issue w/ the stock ride height, and I've never been a proponent of dropping a car from stock for any street performance reasons"

I should also mentioned that I tracked motorcycles for about 6 years, and while I am not a suspension tuning expert, I generally have a decent idea of what good suspension feels like.

With all of that said, my 996TT just feels odd compared to other sport and high performance vehicles I've driven. I'd have to drive and take notes right away to pin it down, but I'll open with a feeling like the front and rear don't seem to move as one. Maybe my stock suspension, at 35k (I have a 2001), is worn out?

One of the really strange feelings is this "stepping out" sensation (the tires are actually sliding) when merging off a clover.. think highish-speed righthander, merging with traffic.

I did buy replacement motor mounts that I have not installed yet. Based on what I've gathered in this forum, there's a good chance the stockers have settled quite a bit and I was willing to try replacing those as maybe the drivetrain is shifting around too much?

My other thought that I was leading with when I bought it was this is just how a rear engine car handles. However, now that I've seen some others comment on the "weird" stock handling that needs some "tweaking", I guess I'm curious what are effective tweaks without degrading the NVH or ride massively?

Thanks all! This has been a great forum to stalk being a newer owner. I've learned a lot!

-Jeff
Old 05-04-2016, 04:08 PM
GuardsTurbo
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You do know the engine is out back right?
Old 05-04-2016, 04:10 PM
splitime
Advanced

I'll be interested to hear how this conversation goes. I've never driven/ridden in a stock one and my first time driving one was the one I bought which has H&R springs and Eibach sways, so it already has been modified into 'something' else.
Old 05-04-2016, 04:12 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

to continue your worthy thread topic...replacing the motor mounts to ( i'm on wevo semi solids ) new, and replacing the old ( if never changed of course ) t-mount to the newer 997 mount will eliminate all the lateral slop we all know and love. one of the best cheapest and effective mods i have ever done just to keep the car fresher/tighter. there WILL be added NVH but not enough to deter me, and i love the added more connected driveline feel they have provided. everything i think you'll find is a trade off vis a vis NVH or not. stock the car is relatively quiet AND "cushy" by comparison.
Old 05-04-2016, 04:12 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If by weird you mean normal. Lol comparing a Miata. The steeping out is the awd/PSM under acceleration on a hard turn. Try driving with the PSM off. Be careful if you've gotten used to the PSM as turning it off can get you sideways fairly quickly.
Old 05-04-2016, 04:45 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 404 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by GuardsTurbo
LOL. Too funny.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:42 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Hopefully you pay attention to the tire pressures, have the proper alignment for the driving you are doing. Different tires present different handling characteristics. Last but not least its also front wheel drive.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:56 PM
MotoJB
Three Wheelin'

Received 592 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by GuardsTurbo
LOL
Old 05-04-2016, 07:00 PM
walleye
AutoX

LOL, yes I am aware the engine is in the rear! But I fully admit that I've not driven another rear-engined car before either.

I do monitor tire pressures. One other area I'll address this spring is in regard to alignment. I naively aligned the car to stock specs shortly after purchase, only to read on this forum that some good gains can be had with a more aggressive alignment.

Also, I got the impression that others were in the "weird" handling camp with an out of the box 996TT as well. As a sidenote, and maybe a baseline from where I'm coming from, I consider the seat time I had in an RX-8 to be the best _stock_ street handling car I've ever had the pleasure of driving. Apples and oranges, I get it.

The main reason I started this thread was due to the fact that I'd read comments from others who also felt that stock handling was "weird". So, for anyone else who agrees, please chime in with what your description of weird is.

-Jeff
Old 05-04-2016, 07:02 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

My 996 doesn't feel weird at all.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:07 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 116 Posts

I think you need to define what "weird handling" means to you. What characteristics have you noticed?

There is going to be some natural difference in dynamics of the car compared to what you are used to based on the engine location and driven wheels, but it is also possible that maybe something is "off" on your particular car. Not enough info to tell, unless I overlooked it.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:09 PM
MotoJB
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
to continue your worthy thread topic...replacing the motor mounts to ( i'm on wevo semi solids ) new, and replacing the old ( if never changed of course ) t-mount to the newer 997 mount will eliminate all the lateral slop we all know and love. one of the best cheapest and effective mods i have ever done just to keep the car fresher/tighter. there WILL be added NVH but not enough to deter me, and i love the added more connected driveline feel they have provided. everything i think you'll find is a trade off vis a vis NVH or not. stock the car is relatively quiet AND "cushy" by comparison.
Yo, so since my motor is out for the trans job and other stuff...I should be replacing motor mounts?
Old 05-04-2016, 07:22 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

hell yes man.. wevo's or rss or torque solutions...something aftermarket for sure. if your car is dual duty go semi solids stay away from full solids unless full time tracking its too much nvh ( for most ) for the street. the semis are an x'lnt compromise.

i'm sure you're addressing th t-mount also while the trans is being refreshed. good luck. i did all that stuff a few years ago exactly same. a world of positive change.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:45 PM
MotoJB
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
hell yes man.. wevo's or rss or torque solutions...something aftermarket for sure. if your car is dual duty go semi solids stay away from full solids unless full time tracking its too much nvh ( for most ) for the street. the semis are an x'lnt compromise.

i'm sure you're addressing th t-mount also while the trans is being refreshed. good luck. i did all that stuff a few years ago exactly same. a world of positive change.
Thanks, I will address...

Yes, they are putting in an OEM trans mount with a torque solution street insert...
Old 05-04-2016, 07:57 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,232 Likes on 1,441 Posts

I deny.

It is an AWD car with a ton of power and a bit of turbo lag. It drives differently because of that. Once you figure out how to get the most out of it it becomes a pavement eating monster.

Quick Reply: 996TT stock "Weird Handling" Confirm or Deny?