Sponsored by:

Considering "downgrading" to a 996 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 02:43 PM
Alexandrius
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Considering "downgrading" to a 996 turbo

Hey guys, i'm very serious about moving from a 997.2 Carrera S to a 996 turbo, 6mt being the only main qualifier. I was wondering if anyone has any advice in general?

Because my main goal is to take out $10k+ from the deal in cash, and maintain approx. the same payment I am now, I would need to be buying a 996 with about 80-100k+ miles, but i've seen 996 turbo with 500k+ or even a million miles in the porsche magazine so I figure the mezger isn't my main worry.

The problems are I have to travel far away and I want to be prepared.

Some of my background; I do most of my work on my 997 Carrera S, and I intend to track the hell out of the 996 turbo.

-Alex
Old 04-16-2016, 03:26 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexandrius
Hey guys, i'm very serious about moving from a 997.2 Carrera S to a 996 turbo, 6mt being the only main qualifier. I was wondering if anyone has any advice in general?

Because my main goal is to take out $10k+ from the deal in cash, and maintain approx. the same payment I am now, I would need to be buying a 996 with about 80-100k+ miles, but i've seen 996 turbo with 500k+ or even a million miles in the porsche magazine so I figure the mezger isn't my main worry.

The problems are I have to travel far away and I want to be prepared.

Some of my background; I do most of my work on my 997 Carrera S, and I intend to track the hell out of the 996 turbo.

-Alex
Not sure I understand how you intend to move from a 997 to a 996 Turbo, but let me just offer this:

If you sell/trade in the 997 you take a pretty good depreciation hit.

If you then turn around and buy a 996 Turbo and can't pay cash for it, but have to finance it, given the 996 Turbo's age, mileage, I think a used car loan would be rather expensive for this vintage of a car.

Then you buy a used Turbo and there is always the possibility that while it has no issues when you buy it, the car has some miles and time and can -- and likely will -- develop issues after you buy it.

If you track "the hell" out of the 996 Turbo the engine, and in fact the entire car, become your main worry. While the Metzger engine is a robust engine tracking puts more stress on the engine and its turbos.

Tracking puts more stress on the drive train too. Even if a diff or transmission or front diff or cardan shaft or vlscous coupling does not go "boom" but just wears out this can be expensive to put right.

Up to you of course, but you might be better off staying with your 997.
Old 04-16-2016, 03:51 PM
Berra
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
"...and likely will -- develop issues after you buy it"

"Up to you of course, but you might be better off staying with your 997."
Uhm...what? "Likely will" develop issues? Why would it likely develop issues? Why do some try to scare off people from buying these cars, or any other car for that matter?

To OP, if you can afford to maintain the car and fix it IF something goes wrong, buy a 996 Turbo and be a very happy guy.
Old 04-16-2016, 04:00 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

Not sure that that move is a downgrade but $10k wouldn't be my reason for doing that. Transaction costs will eat into some of that and if you have an issue with the unknown car, kiss all of that difference, even if you do realize it, away.

Better the devil you know.

But if you want a turbo then go for it. I'm sure that you'll be happy. Just don't make $10k the reason to do it because these 996s are not new cars and you'll churn through that $10k maintaining it.
Old 04-16-2016, 04:01 PM
Alexandrius
Pro

I mean he brings up valid points. I won't take too much of a depreciation hit because I bought the 997.2S used, and it has all the desireable re-sale items (6mt, not a rediculous color, good condition interior and exterior, service records).

I am definitely interested not just in advice, but opinions on moving to a 996 turbo as a dedicated track/drive to track car.
Old 04-16-2016, 04:02 PM
Alexandrius
Pro

Originally Posted by BioBanker
Not sure that that move is a downgrade but $10k wouldn't be my reason for doing that. Transaction costs will eat into some of that and if you have an issue with the unknown car, kiss all of that difference, even if you do realize it, away.

Better the devil you know.

But if you want a turbo then go for it. I'm sure that you'll be happy. Just don't make $10k the reason to do it because these 996s are not new cars and you'll churn through that $10k maintaining it.
$10k isn't my only reason, I just see that as a plus. I see 996 turbos at the bottom of their depreciation curve, and a 997 turbo for tracking I see as a waste. I see this as my opportunity to get into an awesome new project, especially because I can re-use many of my track parts from my 997S. I wanted something I could build alot of power on as an end-game once I am done with chassis/suspension. A Carrera doesn't have much room for improvement in the engine department, unless you go the Raby route and lose a year or two of driving enjoyment.
Old 04-16-2016, 04:15 PM
Berra
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The 996 Turbo is a much better base to mod for track, compared to the 997 Turbo. Lighter, less electronics, easy to go GT2 setup if you want. Light, RWD etc.

These cars are so much more capable than most of us would ever imagine.
Old 04-16-2016, 04:17 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

996 turbo is a no brainier, it's nice to see the 997 crowd jumping ship. They are great cars, but what is your budget?
Old 04-16-2016, 05:17 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

Well then have at it!!

The 996TT is an incredible platform to build upon. I definitely wouldn't choose a 997TT over it for that purpose.

You'll find that it's easy to make way too much power. That RWD is probably much more to your liking than AWD. Brakes may need some work and you'll probably want to change the shifter. Tire sizes may be a bit limiting but shouldn't be too bad. You definitely want a car with coolent lines done, or make sure you budget for it if they're not (for the track).

Or maybe find a good 996 GT3
Old 04-16-2016, 05:18 PM
KM1959
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Anybody who titles a thread "downgrading" to a 996TT - in a 996TT forum is both rude and clueless - made even worse because he only has a 997S.
Old 04-16-2016, 05:23 PM
Alexandrius
Pro

Originally Posted by KM1959
Anybody who titles a thread "downgrading" to a 996TT - in a 996TT forum is both rude and clueless - made even worse because he only has a 997S.
It's a monetary downgrade to go from a 997.2 c2s to a 996 turbo... (*also if you weren't such a dumbass you would see I put "downgrading" in quotes as sort of a joke because the 996T is obviously super capable, with imo a much better power plant)

If I was downgrading my "experience" then I would not purchase or even consider a 996 turbo. I have driven 996 turbos, as well as a 997 turbo.

So no, downgrade is 100% accurate when it comes to $$$$ and the market, and if that hurts your feelings and is "rude" you are kind of soft bud. Probably a bit slow as well.

To bio banker; yes I intend to do a RWD conversion and some other lightweighting mods, because the interior is much more spartan in the 996, so I see that as a blank pallet where it makes alot more sense to experiment. Switches for traction control, etc.

996 gt3 imo, is a bit inflated for a car that has less potential overall than the 996tt. Suspension work on a 996tt and a few other mods and you have a much more capable machine imo. It seems you could probably build a 996 GT2 replica performance wise for what a gt3 costs now.
Old 04-16-2016, 05:45 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

It's a monetary downgrade to go from a 997.2 c2s to a 996 turbo... (*also if you weren't such a dumbass you would see I put "downgrading" in quotes as sort of a joke because the 996T is obviously super capable, with imo a much better power plant)
It's an odd thread title. Additionally, if one of your objectives is to pad you account by $10k, I'd call that an upgrade (of you account), not a downgrade.
Old 04-16-2016, 05:50 PM
Alexandrius
Pro

Originally Posted by Dock
It's an odd thread title. Additionally, if one of your objectives is to pad you account by $10k, I'd call that an upgrade (of you account), not a downgrade.
Downgrade was in "quotation marks" for a reason...it was sarcastic.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:04 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Downgrade was in "quotation marks" for a reason...it was sarcastic.
But you stated above..."So no, downgrade is 100% accurate when it comes to $$$$ and the market".

So which is it, sarcastic, or 100% accurate?
Old 04-16-2016, 06:14 PM
Alexandrius
Pro

Originally Posted by Dock
But you stated above..."So no, downgrade is 100% accurate when it comes to $$$$ and the market".

So which is it, sarcastic, or 100% accurate?
In money wise how much is worth more 40k or 50k? No **** a 997.2 c2s is worth more right now.

Overall? I wouldn't go to a 996 turbo if I didn't love the machine. So no, it's not a downgrade in what I like to call "experience." It is a downgrade in what I call money. It is a joke to put quotation marks, as it is ironic because while the 996 is cheaper right now, it is a great car and an even better platform for performance modification. Hence why you could use a tongue in cheek "DOWNGRADE" in title. FFS. People say things like this in the aircooled forum all the time as a joke just relax your panic buttons.

You guys are just so butt hurt, I didn't realize the fried egg insecurity carried over from the 996 forum to the 996 turbo forum. For those more concerned about content than their perception of the title, thank you. I've already started talking to people in messages about what I can do.

Last edited by Alexandrius; 04-16-2016 at 06:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Considering "downgrading" to a 996 turbo