Considering "downgrading" to a 996 turbo

Old 04-16-2016, 06:40 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexandrius
It is a downgrade in what I call money.
So you consider having more money a downgrade??

You guys are just so butt hurt, I didn't realize the fried egg insecurity carried over from the 996 forum to the 996 turbo forum. For those more concerned about content than their perception of the title, thank you.
Real nice entry into the 996 Turbo discussion forum (??). You post an odd thread title, attempt to justify your title by using diametrically opposed statements, and then disparage those who point this out to you.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:49 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
So you consider having more money a downgrade??

Real nice entry into the 996 Turbo discussion forum (??). You post an odd thread title, attempt to justify your title by using diametrically opposed statements, and then disparage those who point this out to you.
He's also makes making payments on the 997.2, I can't see many banks carrying a loan on a 14 year old car.

997.2's aren't much of a price diff, when you get into clean 996 turbo territory.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:50 PM
ezdriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lighten up on the Op a bit...

I get where he's coming from and he's trying to have a fun dialog. Go for it OP. Have fun and pocked a few $$$. Let us know how your exercise turns out and all the best to you.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:53 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,689 Likes on 985 Posts

The initial acquisition cost of a 6TT is the cheap part. If you intend to "track the hell out of" a 6TT, to do it right, be prepared to put $20k into it as a good baseline to start with if its stock. Budget about $500 per hour operating costs including engine / gearbox reserves. With proper maintenance they are very reliable cars.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:56 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

You may or may not be able to find a good one for $40k.

I'd say that the cars are priced fairly similarily.

But for Gods sake, don't finance a track car
Old 04-16-2016, 07:05 PM
juanbenae
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"trackin the hell out of it" with a car one is making payments on seems to be a questionable endeavor. will this car also serve as a daily driver?

if so you are putting quite a few eggs in one basket....
Old 04-16-2016, 07:10 PM
Alexandrius
Pro

No, I own my daily. The whole purpose of this is to get into a fun toy and its nice to save that 10k or so. I understand porsche track costs are big, believe me. Just looking for your experiences for anyone who kind of thinks like I do about it. Im wondering how much getting a gt2 feeling car will run me.

As for financing a track car, or anything for that matter: If you are financing for 2% but you are making 6%+ in investments, much smarter to use your cash elsewhere. No need to own the car outright unless there is a delta that is bad for you in interest rate....
Old 04-16-2016, 07:38 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

it's more about still making payments on a car that you're selling bits and pieces of trim off of for $20, and whatever else you can salvage off it after putting it into the wall.
Old 04-16-2016, 07:49 PM
Alexandrius
Pro

Originally Posted by BioBanker
it's more about still making payments on a car that you're selling bits and pieces of trim off of for $20, and whatever else you can salvage off it after putting it into the wall.
Versus putting all that cash into it up front and losing all of it when you crash? lol. If you can finance at a lower interest rate than your cash is making invested, it makes financial sense.

Obviously, it's not for everyone. If you can't handle the psychological issue of crashing your car and making payments on a hunk of metal, that is fair. But finance wise, even if you paid pure cash up front, you lost ALL of it when it crashed.
Old 04-16-2016, 08:07 PM
KM1959
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

It's a monetary downgrade to go from a 997.2 c2s to a 996 turbo... (*also if you weren't such a dumbass you would see I put "downgrading" in quotes as sort of a joke because the 996T is obviously super capable, with imo a much better power plant)

If I was downgrading my "experience" then I would not purchase or even consider a 996 turbo. I have driven 996 turbos, as well as a 997 turbo.

So no, downgrade is 100% accurate when it comes to $$$$ and the market, and if that hurts your feelings and is "rude" you are kind of soft bud. Probably a bit slow as well.
No, you ARE rude and clueless . Quotations does not signify sarcasm, lots of clearer ways to do that. Calling you that doesn't make me "soft" as I would say that to you in person. I know you don't have the stones for that.
Old 04-16-2016, 08:27 PM
Alexandrius
Pro

Originally Posted by KM1959
No, you ARE rude and clueless . Quotations does not signify sarcasm, lots of clearer ways to do that. Calling you that doesn't make me "soft" as I would say that to you in person. I know you don't have the stones for that.
You are soft, and I'd say that to your face. They are just cars, and you are trying to defend the honor of a 996T forum with like 50 viewers at any given time, against a sensitively perceived micro-aggression of a thread title. Can you just get out of this thread with your hurt feelings?

No stones eh? If you would like my address send me a PM. I would post it here but I think it's against policy. (maybe not, IDK).

Anyways, back on topic: to others yes I refinanced this 997 to re-deploy that money into investments and I intend to continue that with the 996T. Repairs aren't a deal breaker cash wise (obviously I like to know about them, though). I just wanted open discussion and ideas about people transitioning from the 9a1 motors to these 996's. I feel like there are going to be alot of similar parts I have tools to work on for other parts of the car on basic consumables. Anyone have input on that?
Old 04-16-2016, 08:36 PM
juanbenae
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, I own my daily. The whole purpose of this is to get into a fun toy and its nice to save that 10k or so. I understand porsche track costs are big, believe me. Just looking for your experiences for anyone who kind of thinks like I do about it. Im wondering how much getting a gt2 feeling car will run me.

As for financing a track car, or anything for that matter: If you are financing for 2% but you are making 6%+ in investments, much smarter to use your cash elsewhere. No need to own the car outright unless there is a delta that is bad for you in interest rate....

so, let's see if ive got this right. you have a heavy portfolio with your stacks of money working for you. well played sir!! though on the other hand you are considering downgrading for a mere $10K delta? am I missing something here?

go buy a used race car and recognize all your potential on the track. used race cars are pennies on the dollar. I know, selling mine for just that...
Old 04-16-2016, 08:40 PM
Alexandrius
Pro

Originally Posted by juanbenae
so, let's see if ive got this right. you have a heavy portfolio with your money working for you. well played sir!! though on the other hand you are considering downgrading for a mere $10K delta? am I missing something here?

go buy a used race car and recognize all your potential on the track. used race cars are pennies on the dollar. I know, selling mine for just that...
I didn't say I have a heavy portfolio, I said I have the money to pay off the debt on the 997, I just prefer to keep it in investments since bank money for cars is so cheap.

The 10k delta is the cherry on top. It's part of why I am doing it. I will buy a race-car when I am fully dedicated to racing. Don't have the time and don't want to spend that cash now. This will be a weekend, sometimes drive to work (when traffic is ok), and take to track car.

So after all of this sage financial advise anyone want to talk about the 996t?
Old 04-16-2016, 08:47 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

who and what reasons that make sense for any of the majority in a porsche turbo forum will/do understand the need/desire for 10k$ or for financing a porsche with 80-100k miles on it.

i'll stop right there, this whole thread and whatever thinking(?!) that motivates it seems ill conceived, at best.

whew.
Old 04-16-2016, 08:49 PM
Alexandrius
Pro

Alright, it's obvious those that had useful input on the 996T have come and gone.

The rest of you can discuss the virtue of putting cash into a disposable item when you could finance it essentially for free.

I will leave your 996T forum in peace.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Considering "downgrading" to a 996 turbo