Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch slave upgrade for the cost of a liter of Pentosin

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 10:58 AM
danspach
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So was able to disconnect accumulator and all hoses from the slave except the return.

Which tool do you guys use to remove this? I see different versions of a "hydraulic disconnect tool".

I also see that the return line actually goes to the hydraulic pump, not to the master as I originally thought so guess this means I need to find a way to seal this line as well?
Old 04-11-2017, 11:51 AM
danspach
Instructor

Making progress. Just two quick questions:

1. On the P/S pump, which set of lines goes to the clutch slave - the one toward the front of the car or the one toward the rear?

2. Do I even need to plug the return line if I’m disabling the high-pressure line to the slave?
Old 04-14-2017, 10:56 AM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by danspach
Making progress. Just two quick questions:

1. On the P/S pump, which set of lines goes to the clutch slave - the one toward the front of the car or the one toward the rear?

2. Do I even need to plug the return line if I’m disabling the high-pressure line to the slave?
I would plug the return just to prevent anything from getting into the line afterwards. Dont have an answer for #1 however, will be a week or so until I attempt this myself.
Old 04-14-2017, 12:09 PM
danspach
Instructor

TheDeckMan, thanks for the response. Have you worked on the slave/accumulator before?

I think I will end up capping the return line but was looking for a clean way to do so. Ultimately, I'd like to take the line out if I'm not using it but will only do that after it's all working the way I hope it will.

In the meantime, I've received the plugs from http://www.hydraulicsdirect.com/ and installed them in the new slave with some copper washers. I torqued them to a few Nm over spec just to be sure I won't have any leaks. Very happy with the fit of them. I tried to get away with a generic M14 x 1.5 plug from Autozone but it wasn't a very precisely made piece (and not really much less $ than the one I ordered on line) and didn't want to force it into the new $400 part. Happy I waited.

The one for the accumulator is M14 x 1.5 and the one for the high pressure feed on the slave is an M12 x 1.0. I bought two m12 x 1.0 thinking the connection on the pump side will be the same but I have yet to take that line out.

Out of town this weekend for Easter but chomping at the bit to get this thing in now that I have the plugs installed.

Name:  IMG_1409_zpsqxgfviis.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  162.4 KB

Name:  IMG_1405_zpsgzjhi826.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  158.7 KB

Name:  IMG_1411_zpsiuf3pup8.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  260.2 KB

Name:  IMG_1416_zpsdrzpv2qd.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  270.7 KB

Regarding which line is which on the pump side, I'm using these diagrams and assuming it's the rear-most line that feeds the clutch. The diagram for the steering circuit makes it look like the one to the front (#16) just dives straight down where the clutch diagram shows a longer line (#6) snaking toward the front of the car toward the slave.

Steering circuit:
Name:  996T_2005_4_03_403-03_zpsd5w8hq55.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  37.0 KB

Clutch Circuit:
Name:  996T_2005_7_02_702-09_zpsx5ejrwik.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  28.1 KB
Old 04-14-2017, 03:45 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

TheDeckMan, thanks for the response. Have you worked on the slave/accumulator before?

I think I will end up capping the return line but was looking for a clean way to do so. Ultimately, I'd like to take the line out if I'm not using it but will only do that after it's all working the way I hope it will.

In the meantime, I've received the plugs from http://www.hydraulicsdirect.com/ and installed them in the new slave with some copper washers. I torqued them to a few Nm over spec just to be sure I won't have any leaks. Very happy with the fit of them. I tried to get away with a generic M14 x 1.5 plug from Autozone but it wasn't a very precisely made piece (and not really much less $ than the one I ordered on line) and didn't want to force it into the new $400 part. Happy I waited.

The one for the accumulator is M14 x 1.5 and the one for the high pressure feed on the slave is an M12 x 1.0. I bought two m12 x 1.0 thinking the connection on the pump side will be the same but I have yet to take that line out.

Out of town this weekend for Easter but chomping at the bit to get this thing in now that I have the plugs installed.

Regarding which line is which on the pump side, I'm using these diagrams and assuming it's the rear-most line that feeds the clutch. The diagram for the steering circuit makes it look like the one to the front (#16) just dives straight down where the clutch diagram shows a longer line (#6) snaking toward the front of the car toward the slave.

Steering circuit:

Clutch Circuit:
#16 goes from the reservoir down to the pump. the only lines that will remain in working order would be the feed line from the pump to the steering rack and the large return line to the reservoir. all the hard lines are slave related
Old 04-14-2017, 11:07 PM
danspach
Instructor

So you're saying both of the hard lines on the reservoir are for the slave and the steering gets is pressure from a line out of the pump below?

if so, that makes it pretty simple.
Old 04-15-2017, 01:43 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

So you're saying both of the hard lines on the reservoir are for the slave and the steering gets is pressure from a line out of the pump below?

if so, that makes it pretty simple.
yes. look at a tiptronic or gt2 power steering setup. they only have the 2 large lines one on the pump one on the reservoir. everything else is for the slave. i run a gt2 setup on my car with a gt2 power steering pump.

i have a friend with a complete gt2 slave setup minus the gt2 hyd line for sale for 400$. i have the modded power steering pump and reservoir if anyone wants one of those 500$ for both parts reservoir and pump
Old 04-18-2017, 04:27 PM
danspach
Instructor

Can someone confirm…in the picture below I think I need to cap or plug:

# 1 (guessing this is the high pressure feed for the slave even though it seems to come out of the reservoir ...M12 x 1.0?)
# 2 (both on the reservoir and the pump below)…anyone know the size of the that line (M10x1.0?)
# 4 (return line for the clutch slave)

# 3 stays in place as it’s the return line for the power steering

Additionally, in looking at pictures of the pump online, it seems like the feed line for the steering rack pops out of the driver’s side of the pump itself (not the reservoir).

Name:  ps20lines20120-20labeled_zpsmo4qawk7.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  336.1 KB

I’ve tried to research how the pump actually works (the path from the reservoir through the pump to the rack and the slave) so I can understand the system and prevent dumb questions but not having any definitive luck. Please see above dumb questions.

32Krazy!, I completely understand what you were getting at by suggesting looking at the Tip and GT2 pump as they don’t use a slave but I still don’t understand how this system makes the pressure (i.e. it seems like the high pressure line for the slave comes out of the reservoir) so apologies in advance.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:07 PM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Can someone confirm…in the picture below I think I need to cap or plug:

# 1 (guessing this is the high pressure feed for the slave even though it seems to come out of the reservoir ...M12 x 1.0?)
# 2 (both on the reservoir and the pump below)…anyone know the size of the that line (M10x1.0?)
# 4 (return line for the clutch slave)

# 3 stays in place as it’s the return line for the power steering

Additionally, in looking at pictures of the pump online, it seems like the feed line for the steering rack pops out of the driver’s side of the pump itself (not the reservoir).

I’ve tried to research how the pump actually works (the path from the reservoir through the pump to the rack and the slave) so I can understand the system and prevent dumb questions but not having any definitive luck. Please see above dumb questions.

32Krazy!, I completely understand what you were getting at by suggesting looking at the Tip and GT2 pump as they don’t use a slave but I still don’t understand how this system makes the pressure (i.e. it seems like the high pressure line for the slave comes out of the reservoir) so apologies in advance.

I have the GT2 stuff over at the garage in a box and can grab some pictures tonight.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:55 PM
danspach
Instructor

Sorry Noah. I could have written that more clearly. The GT2 system seems pretty straightforward to me as the p/s pump only has two lines. High pressure feed out of the pump and low pressure return into the reservoir.

What I meant to say is I'm still struggling to understand the system that's in the car currently since I plan on using the stock slave and pump but capping and plugging the power assist lines to the clutch. The factory workshop manual, diagrams and pictures I see online just don't make it very clear how the system works....or I'm just not sharp enough to get it (very possible).

Does the high pressure line that feeds the slave really come out of the reservoir? Maybe....dunno.

I took the hard lines out of the reservoir last night, measured them to buy the correct plugs (1 M10x1.0 and 2 M12x1.0) and ordered them online. I'm going to leave the return line connected for now since it won't be doing anything anyway.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:30 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

why not just remove the coupler from the back of the power steering pump and be done with it? then its not a hiogh pressure system anymore
Old 04-19-2017, 06:40 PM
danspach
Instructor

Hah! That was my original plan and then someone suggested just capping the lines. (I initially thought this might hurt the pump but John D has been running it like this for 11 years and 100k miles). Capping the lines seemed easier.

Joke's on me!
Old 04-20-2017, 01:25 AM
32krazy!
Drifting

it really doesnt matter what the hard lines do or were they go. in the end all your going to keep are the main feed line from the pump and the return line to the reservoir. cap everything else off. if it runs thru the slave it isnt used
Old 04-24-2017, 11:41 AM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Here is a GT2/Tip Reservoir, just has the one return line for the power steering

Pump for the feed to the rack
Old 04-24-2017, 02:41 PM
danspach
Instructor

Thanks Noah,

Helpful to see even if I'm using the stock equipment. I think when this slave goes, I'll have a GT2 setup waiting for the occasion.

Now I need to figure out how to get to the hard line that goes from the res to the pump out of the pump and I should be good to go....looks like some disassembly required.

Tried to wiggle my left hand up over the starter before taking out the old slave to see if I'd be able to do it without taking out the starter. Not likely.

When are you taking yours apart?

Quick Reply: Clutch slave upgrade for the cost of a liter of Pentosin