Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Race day at High Plains Raceway

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 03:24 PM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Well next time I will have my app running All I know is I saw 1.2 in boost in 6th gear and it sure looked like that number to me. But not like I sat there staring at it taking a selfie haha

Regardless it was a ton of fun to open things wide and then do ****ty in the turns Regardless of HP being smooth in the turns is what I saw as important. Riding with the instructor made that REAL obvious. He had a e36 M3 and would get passed or pulled away from on the back straight but he would catch back up in the turns, it was really cool to experience.

When I was driving and hit a set of apex's right (very few) the feeling was really cool because it just felt "right" know what I mean? And it was obvious when I missed it.

Is the cup car naturally aspirated or turbo charged. Cannot remember.
Old 04-14-2016, 06:09 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,128 Posts

Originally Posted by mdurbahn
Hi John,

What is the rule for helmets this year? Do you need a snell 2015 rating this season?

Thanks!

Matt
You need a 2010 snell or newer Matt. I have a few extra helmets if you wanna borrow one. If you're thinking of buying one look at the Bell M1. Very good helmet and reasonably priced. Wine Country has a large selection. They're near Park Meadows mall.
Old 04-14-2016, 06:26 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim Wasmer
It is N/A.

I believe it has ~450 HP pushing ~2650 lbs of car.
Old 04-14-2016, 06:44 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,128 Posts

Well next time I will have my app running All I know is I saw 1.2 in boost in 6th gear and it sure looked like that number to me. But not like I sat there staring at it taking a selfie haha

Regardless it was a ton of fun to open things wide and then do ****ty in the turns Regardless of HP being smooth in the turns is what I saw as important. Riding with the instructor made that REAL obvious. He had a e36 M3 and would get passed or pulled away from on the back straight but he would catch back up in the turns, it was really cool to experience.

When I was driving and hit a set of apex's right (very few) the feeling was really cool because it just felt "right" know what I mean? And it was obvious when I missed it.

A 997Cup is a 2600lb ish race car with a normally aspirated 450hp Motorsport engine and a sequential gearbox transferring power seamlessly to the wheels. They are very fast with a ton of aero and huge grip. The gearbox gives them a huge advantage as there is virtually no lag in power during shifts.

Last edited by powdrhound; 04-14-2016 at 07:20 PM.
Old 04-14-2016, 07:23 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,591 Likes on 1,640 Posts

The cup car's top speed is hampered by aero drag as well.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:15 PM
juanbenae
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

going from lead & follow laps to nearly 160 miles per hour in the same day/weekend? that must be a typo.... or you have brass *****! or killer long curly boot tips..
Old 04-14-2016, 10:22 PM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

I am not sure about ball size but the car is very stable at speed.

With the suspension and front and rear GT2 setup you feel the car hunker down. It is planted.

You guys can keep hitting me about the speed but as I have said that is what I thought I saw. Will document next time. End point is that it was a ton of fun to let the car stretch its legs.

Old 04-14-2016, 11:52 PM
jeanmarcboilard
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I am not sure about ball size but the car is very stable at speed.

With the suspension and front and rear GT2 setup you feel the car hunker down. It is planted.

You guys can keep hitting me about the speed but as I have said that is what I thought I saw. Will document next time. End point is that it was a ton of fun to let the car stretch its legs.

I'm not trying to challenge your speed or what you saw but my speedometer reads higher than my gps. Actually, the discrepancy gets bigger as my speed increases. Something to consider.
Looks like you had lots of fun. This thread got me to finally sign up for a track day. I can't wait to really push my car.
Thanks for sharing
Old 04-15-2016, 12:42 AM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

Regardless of speed it was super fun. Hitting the right apex was awesome....missing brought you back to earth.

In my opinion all of us should run our cars hard to see what they are capable of.

I would guess that a majority of the gang have no real idea of what this car we own can do (no offense just a statement I fit into). It is phenomenal and I have owned many of these.

Was it Jeremy Clarkson that said this lulls you into a sense of safety.....I am not going to kill you etc.
Old 04-16-2016, 01:22 AM
juanbenae
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Regardless of speed it was super fun. Hitting the right apex was awesome....missing brought you back to earth.

In my opinion all of us should run our cars hard to see what they are capable of.

I would guess that a majority of the gang have no real idea of what this car we own can do (no offense just a statement I fit into). It is phenomenal and I have owned many of these

so right. ive not tracked my 996tt yet, but im thinking a few laps could be super exhilarating!! im excited for us!
Old 04-16-2016, 09:18 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

You'll love Harry's lap timer, it's great.

Quick Reply: Race day at High Plains Raceway