Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to reduce turbo lag

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2003, 03:16 PM
boqueron
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After reading Cobra06 I entered into Hallmanīs web page. I have not been able to find a line on turbo l'ag reducion. It seems that the original purpose of the boost controller is to increase boost and horsepower. In their faq page they have the following Q&A "Q: Can I lower my boost with a boost controller?A: No. With any boost controller you can only raise boost above what the factory actuator is set for."
How does the boost controler helps to reduce turbo lag ?

Also, has anyone experienced one thing after the other in order to estimate each modification ? , i.e: 1st wrapping, 2nd exhaust, etc..

Can someone explain the theory behind the wrapping system. How does it work to reduce turbo lag ?
Old 10-10-2003, 03:54 PM
boqueron
Pro

Meanwhile I have read carefully thermotec's web and found the technical explanation.
Old 10-10-2003, 05:15 PM
cobra06
Pro

Sorry, took some things for granted. The wastegate will crack open allowing gas to escape (creep) before it reaches maximum set boost. This is usually 1/2-1/3 of the stabilizing (maximum) boost. You will be loosing a fair amount of energy intended for the turbo as soon as the wastegate starts opening. A boost controller (or adjusting the wastegate actuator rod length) can raise that area where the wastegate starts to open. This will of course raise boost but also delay wastegate venting. That early opening of the wastegate can attribute to the sensation of lag.
Old 10-10-2003, 05:19 PM
LSM
Racer

Cobra06,

I have been trying to PM you and tried email you, but it did not work. Can you PM me with a good way to get a hold of you. Thank you.

-Lou
Old 10-10-2003, 08:25 PM
cobra06
Pro

Lou
Sorry, I rarely check the PM. Try me at prschatt@hotmail.com
Old 10-10-2003, 09:49 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

David,
How about a pic of the controller? We use everything from the EVC V to the Blitz SBCi and Apexi. None on the 996TT, but I would like to see your set up. Did you look at the others before you went with the Hallman?
Old 10-11-2003, 04:40 AM
boqueron
Pro

PorschePhD,

I have been trying to enter your web page. It shows your presentation page and, after skipping the introduction, on a blank page the folowing message appears :"lib/db.mv: Line 1796: MvLOCKFILE: Runtime Error: Error creating lockfile 'Merchant2/00000001/storekey.dbf.lck': Disk quota exceeded "
Old 10-11-2003, 05:06 AM
boqueron
Pro

Sorry to keep you busy! How would you evaluate the benefits of the modifications reducing turbo lag . In a % estimation

a) Europipe exhaust woud be 10% ?
b) Wrapping would be 5% ?
c) Boost controller 15% ?

Would I inmediatly feel the difference or will it be the type of modification to be felt only after carefully studying and listening the behaviour of the engine ? ( something like the diffence in tire pressures ..)

In Spain ( where I leave ) practically nobody modifies a Porsche unless he is racing with it. It is even a rarity to find somebody with different wheels than stock ? This is why it is difficult to find after market parts distributors here, which makes me a bit reluctant to undertake changes that could need further assistance. I understand that I will have practically no risk ( or very low ) concernning the future assistance needed for the Europipe and/or the Techno-tec wrapping. What about the Boost Controller ? Isnīt there a risk in increasing the boost that was originally set from factory ? Is there a "dangerous" increase of boost and a "safe" one. What would be the minimum and sufficient setting ? The one you are presently using, Cobra06 ?

Following the general opinion has been widely discussed in the board concernning other modifications, I believe that the riskiest modification that could affect Porscheīs waranty will be the booster. Is it easy to disconect it before sending the car to Porsche ? Will they know that something has been changed ?
Old 10-11-2003, 10:18 AM
cobra06
Pro

Originally posted by PorschePhD
David,
How about a pic of the controller? We use everything from the EVC V to the Blitz SBCi and Apexi. None on the 996TT, but I would like to see your set up. Did you look at the others before you went with the Hallman?

Stephen, having installed an electronic boost controller before, and still bearing the mental scars, I didn't want to go that route again. The Hallman seemed well engineered (and is) has a lightweight ceramic ball and two springs, heavy and light allowing small increases in boost. It requires no tools to change settings and can be cockpit mounted ( I just set my unit and leave it)
Installation was simple, after thinking through the tube routing took about 20 minutes, including jacking. Line from unit goes to a splitter then actuators, actuator lines go up to the boost controller. A simple twist increases boost in small increments, the light spring will, at full setting deliver ~.3 BAR, I haven't played with the heavy spring

Old 10-12-2003, 02:35 PM
boqueron
Pro

Cobra06,
I read in technical articles that the wastegate opens in order to protect the system against overpressure. If I understand well your explanation the booster interferes with the wastegate, delaying itīs openning ( wastegate craking). Isnīt that exactly the contrary of what the wastegate is intended for ? What will be the "safe" maximum level of increase in a TT. ( I have not found the answer in Hallmanīs faq page ). How many miles have you done with your booster ? I am doing nearly 30.000 miles /year.
Old 10-13-2003, 03:42 AM
tme
Advanced

Smile

I found when I did the stage 1 Evolution upgrade it got rid of the lag and made the car soooo much smoother up the gear ladder.

Quick Reply: How to reduce turbo lag