Received 185 Likes on 124 Posts

I have just ordered the RSS items
Old 03-16-2016, 10:41 PM
Mtrboatvr6
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ducnine
Those RSS mounts look great.
What is that Aluminum part the mount is sitting on? Is that what the factory mounts sit on?
Did this take care of your funny wiggle we were talking about last week?

I put Euro RS Mounts on my 964, since my original ones were shot. Not as good looking as the RSS mounts. I did a lot of other mods at the same time so not sure what the impact of these mounts were.

Ceby
Ceby, The aluminum parts are mounting pieces that are re-used. Its interesting once you take the 3 bolts free on the top they are just sitting there. I was actually surprised how easy it was to get around the Y pipes. I didnt have to remove them which is a plus (they dont seem to go back together easily). And yes the funny wiggle seems to be far less pronounced, I would not say gone. I think it is unfortunately just in the nature of the stock suspension.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:45 PM
Mtrboatvr6
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard.
I have just ordered the RSS items
Richard, I think you will be well pleased with the result. Im actually a little upset i didnt do it right when I bought the car!
Old 03-20-2016, 02:34 PM
Richard.
Rennlist Member

I just found my 18 mm socket, very unusual size
Old 03-20-2016, 03:09 PM
jeanmarcboilard
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard.
I just found my 18 mm socket, very unusual size
So, you should have them on in 30 min and ready to give us your feedback?
Make sure the square pegs are lined up, I had to turn mine with a wrench to get it right.
Old 03-22-2016, 02:04 PM
Richard.
Rennlist Member

Only just received them today, I was in preparation and put a stripe decal on the TT last weekend which was hard work & as I'm a perfectionist it took 4 hours. Will get the RSS items on over Easter
Old 03-23-2016, 09:33 PM
R4CEC4R
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my standard nothing says success like excess I picked up the RSS full solids lol. Definitely see some vibration periodically through the Rev range and you start to question the engine sounds at idle (not because they're loud but because the engine has so much "character"). Fortunately they don't seem that loud thanks to the FabSpeed exhaust covering it up. Have my first DE with them end of April should be interesting. The car move so much more as one now even when just doing some spirited driving.

Some form of mounts is a must for the 996.
Old 03-24-2016, 06:53 AM
Richard.
Rennlist Member

Ok so RSS mounts on, it took me circa 3 hours but probably didn't help that I didn't start until 10.30 pm when the family had gone to bed. I did it without removing the Y pipe but the drivers side was truly difficult with my larger connecting pipe from my AWE Intercoolers and the 3 inch Y pipe, which only have a very short Silicon connecting hose. The other side was easy.

I now need to lower the exhaust tips a little as you will see from the pic.

The RSS mounts do give more of a mechanical connection with the car.

I also post a pic of the stripe I added last weekend which won't be to all your tastes.
Attached Images   
The following users liked this post:
paddlefoot64 (06-07-2020)
Old 03-24-2016, 12:02 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,442 Posts

Judging by the change in height of your exhaust tips you needed new engines mount.

Good work.
Old 03-24-2016, 12:17 PM
pavster
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree with everybody - it's a great mod. Did mine a month ago. The only downside for me is some interior buzzing at 3100 RPM which is where I spend a lot of time on the highway, so need to track it down. These mounts along with a GT3 rear sway bar have absolutely transformed my 997 C2 from a GT car to a sports car.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:06 PM
jeanmarcboilard
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pavster
Agree with everybody - it's a great mod. Did mine a month ago. The only downside for me is some interior buzzing at 3100 RPM which is where I spend a lot of time on the highway, so need to track it down. These mounts along with a GT3 rear sway bar have absolutely transformed my 997 C2 from a GT car to a sports car.
I just noticed a vibration around 3000rpm also and attributed it to my new RSS mounts. Let me know if and how you get rid of it.
Old 03-24-2016, 02:23 PM
Richard.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Judging by the change in height of your exhaust tips you needed new engines mount.

Good work.
thx. the exhaust tips are not OEM and can be angled as per desire, I would guess the RSS mounts moved up the engine alignment by 7mm
Old 03-24-2016, 04:51 PM
RSSmike
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Semi Solid Engine Mount NHV Buzz

Originally Posted by R4CEC4R
In my standard nothing says success like excess I picked up the RSS full solids lol. Definitely see some vibration periodically through the Rev range and you start to question the engine sounds at idle (not because they're loud but because the engine has so much "character"). Fortunately they don't seem that loud thanks to the FabSpeed exhaust covering it up. Have my first DE with them end of April should be interesting. The car move so much more as one now even when just doing some spirited driving.

Some form of mounts is a must for the 996.
Originally Posted by pavster
Originally Posted by jeanmarcboilard
I just noticed a vibration around 3000rpm also and attributed it to my new RSS mounts. Let me know if and how you get rid of it.
Thanks for the kind words guys, always nice to hear from the RL community!

Generally speaking, performance engine mounts will increase NHV (some designs more than others) vs. OE mounts . I suspect the noted buzz around the 3k RPM Range may be correlated with Porsche's Vario Cam System transitioning between operational modes/cam profiles. By design semi solid performance mounts will transmit more of the engines NHV vs. OE liquid filled mounts designed to mask or dampen engine harmonics or buzz.
Old 03-24-2016, 05:24 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

wevo's semis ( by example) contribute NO added NVH to the cabin while delivering instant feedback and tautness to shifting esp during cornering. slop is GONE. that, and a new 997 t-mount. covering all of the the 3 points of engagement of the motor to all else. kinda important. ya think?!
Old 03-24-2016, 06:14 PM
RSSmike
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Mtrboatvr6
Good evening everyone! I finally got some time to install the RSS engine mounts that I purchased from Sharkwerks. This was the first time I have dealt with them for my Porsche, and it certainly will not be the last! Alex did an excellent job getting these shipped out quickly, and they arrived in perfect condition.

The install was straight forward and only took about an hour of actual work. Once I finally figured out that I lost my 18mm deepwell socket, and I had to go to the store and buy one (about par for the course when working on cars .) The only issue I had was for some reason I didnt get the engine jacked up high enough. The square part on the bottom of the new mount was not seating down in the cutout to stop it from rotating when tightening the 18mm nut on the underside of the mount. Once I got that figured out the rest was a breeze.

Impressions
I have a MKIV VW GTI VR6 with a TON of mods, and some 034 Engine mounts. Those have way more NVH than these mounts do by a far margin. Since I am used to performance mounts, the tiny added NVH on the RSS is a fantastic trade for the amount of feel you get. Shifting is much crisper, and is immediately noticable if you heel toe. Throttle response is much improved and damn near immediate on throttle tip in. I even felt the stability in the cornering which was my most sought after attribute. Why the car does not come from the factory like this I will never know. I will update this thread with more feedback once my AutoX season starts up. I cannot wait to try these out on the track, and run them through their paces.

I can attest to the great things others have said about these mounts. It is without a doubt the best $400 you will spend on this car! Just buy them, install them yourself, and enjoy. I attached some pics below of the parts, install, and my car with my uncles 454 SS 70 Chevelle.

The Sharkwerks Team are great to deal with, we could not recommend them enough. Happy to hear your enjoying the RSS Performance Engine Mounts. Thanks for sharing your install experience and product impressions.

Quick Reply: RSS Engine mount install impressions