Sponsored by:

RSS Engine mount install impressions

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 07:50 PM
Mtrboatvr6
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
Default RSS Engine mount install impressions

Good evening everyone! I finally got some time to install the RSS engine mounts that I purchased from Sharkwerks. This was the first time I have dealt with them for my Porsche, and it certainly will not be the last! Alex did an excellent job getting these shipped out quickly, and they arrived in perfect condition.

The install was straight forward and only took about an hour of actual work. Once I finally figured out that I lost my 18mm deepwell socket, and I had to go to the store and buy one (about par for the course when working on cars .) The only issue I had was for some reason I didnt get the engine jacked up high enough. The square part on the bottom of the new mount was not seating down in the cutout to stop it from rotating when tightening the 18mm nut on the underside of the mount. Once I got that figured out the rest was a breeze.

Impressions
I have a MKIV VW GTI VR6 with a TON of mods, and some 034 Engine mounts. Those have way more NVH than these mounts do by a far margin. Since I am used to performance mounts, the tiny added NVH on the RSS is a fantastic trade for the amount of feel you get. Shifting is much crisper, and is immediately noticable if you heel toe. Throttle response is much improved and damn near immediate on throttle tip in. I even felt the stability in the cornering which was my most sought after attribute. Why the car does not come from the factory like this I will never know. I will update this thread with more feedback once my AutoX season starts up. I cannot wait to try these out on the track, and run them through their paces.

I can attest to the great things others have said about these mounts. It is without a doubt the best $400 you will spend on this car! Just buy them, install them yourself, and enjoy. I attached some pics below of the parts, install, and my car with my uncles 454 SS 70 Chevelle.

Last edited by Mtrboatvr6; 03-12-2016 at 08:06 PM.
Old 03-12-2016, 10:21 PM
juanbenae
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the wevo mounts a few weeks back and they too did the car a huge service along with the SS trans mounts id done previously. really made a noticeable difference. really help having my pops' second set of eyes to get the square stop you note lined up when I was working under the car.

it's an easy DIY operation, it could only be easier if you only had to throw them at the car to install...
Old 03-12-2016, 10:31 PM
jeanmarcboilard
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Agree about the huge improvement in feel with the RSS mounts. I did them last fall. I also had and issue with the alignment. I actually torqued down on the nut with the square not set in properly. Luckily I noticed something wasn't right and fixed it before driving like that.
Old 03-13-2016, 11:10 AM
Lucid Moment
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. One of my exhaust tips is off, it's time to do this.
Old 03-13-2016, 11:17 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,436 Posts

Semi solid mounts are one of the best mods you can do.
Old 03-13-2016, 11:56 AM
Mtrboatvr6
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Couldnt agree with everyone more. The only reason that I chose the RSS over the wevo mounts is my personal preference for their look. Im sure they are just as good as far as function from what everyone has said. Its raining here a lot today or I would be out "testing" these mounts more!
Old 03-13-2016, 03:41 PM
juanbenae
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had not considered appearance.... I went with the wevo due to the fact they are about 20 minutes from me... even took the car there to pick them up....!!
Old 03-13-2016, 10:17 PM
ducnine
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 15 Posts

Those RSS mounts look great.
What is that Aluminum part the mount is sitting on? Is that what the factory mounts sit on?
Did this take care of your funny wiggle we were talking about last week?

I put Euro RS Mounts on my 964, since my original ones were shot. Not as good looking as the RSS mounts. I did a lot of other mods at the same time so not sure what the impact of these mounts were.

Ceby
Attached Images  
Old 03-15-2016, 03:52 PM
Richard.
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 124 Posts

"The install was straight forward and only took about an hour of actual work. Once I finally figured out that I lost my 18mm deepwell socket, and I had to go to the store and buy one (about par for the course when working on cars .) The only issue I had was for some reason I didnt get the engine jacked up high enough. The square part on the bottom of the new mount was not seating down in the cutout to stop it from rotating when tightening the 18mm nut on the underside of the mount. Once I got that figured out the rest was a breeze."

Thanks Mtrboatvr6 great post, SO for the DIY install I would need to remove the Airbox and Y-pipe for access and support the engine with a jack right ?
Old 03-15-2016, 04:09 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Richard.

Thanks Mtrboatvr6 great post, SO for the DIY install I would need to remove the Airbox and Y-pipe for access and support the engine with a jack right ?
The is no need to remove the Y pipe.
Old 03-15-2016, 05:05 PM
Richard.
Rennlist Member

how to you get access then ? maybe my 3 inch Y pipe from my larger AWE intercoolers is more obstructive whatever multi jointed socket I could use
Old 03-15-2016, 05:24 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Richard.
how to you get access then ? maybe my 3 inch Y pipe from my larger AWE intercoolers is more obstructive whatever multi jointed socket I could use
With a stock Y pipe once the air box is removed there is plenty of room for a socket wrench. If you still feel the left side is a little tight just pull the retaining clip and slide the intercooler hose off of the Y pipe.

Maybe if you post a photo of your AWE set up we can figure out a strategy?
Old 03-15-2016, 05:52 PM
Richard.
Rennlist Member

APPRECIATE your help & thoughts Carlo, I will do, I can whip the airbox off in 5 minutes
Old 03-15-2016, 05:59 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Gotta ask you guys do those mounts make you feel the engine more and do they cause more cockpit noise? I am considering the RSS mounts?
Old 03-15-2016, 06:26 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
Gotta ask you guys do those mounts make you feel the engine more and do they cause more cockpit noise? I am considering the RSS mounts?
The answers are yes and yes, but not annoyingly so. The trade off is a much improved "connected" feel to the car. IMHO it makes the 996 Turbo feel more like the cooled cars of the mid-80s and 90s. Which I like.

Quick Reply: RSS Engine mount install impressions