Sponsored by:

For anyone with pinned coolant lines.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 09:41 PM
juanbenae
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera

I am not sure what starting a thread does. I saw what I saw. And it still doesn't change the fact that no factory race cars from Porsche come with the coolant fitting pinned.

crabby_carlo is more like it....
Old 01-21-2016, 09:52 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,432 Posts

Originally Posted by juanbenae
crabby_carlo is more like it....
At least I am not drunk.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:07 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

POC here in SoCal has this in their GCRs Page 20. welded, pinned, or water wetter.

https://porscheclubracing.org/wp-con...f-11-29-15.pdf

Cup car components are timed out and replaced and those cars do not see the heat cycles the street cars do. Fact.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:32 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,432 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
POC here in SoCal has this in their GCRs Page 20. welded, pinned, or water wetter.

Cup car components are timed out and replaced and those cars do not see the heat cycles the street cars do. Fact.
Sounds good. As I was originally saying the choice you make depends what the events require.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:00 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Additional compound around each might help, surely not the same as pulling them as in the video. JB weld as in the video is great stuff.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:04 PM
Lucid Moment
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

First one done.

Name:  image1_zpsbo80q8ur.jpg
Views: 4727
Size:  234.9 KB

Additional compound added.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:05 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

thanks for the link.
Good point on the time-outs as well.
Originally Posted by Spyerx

Goodstuff!
Originally Posted by Lucid Moment
First one done.

Additional compound added.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:46 AM
Andover Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts

My shop had concerns about welding ... Either quality or maybe thickness of metal. Can't recall. Mine were pinned. YRMV.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:59 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

I researched and debated A LOT before making my decision, also talked with a number of my good friends who are serious fab/welders, and one who is also the chief mechanic for a cargo jet liner. They all were concerned about porosity and HAZ/embrittlement issues long-term, and strongly suggested the pinning; done deal. If they were to do it, inserts like BBi's would be the way to go.
My decision was solely on what I/my connections thought was the best solution long-term, not cost(near free for me anyways) or effort...in 10/20/50 years, if a fitting fails due to stress or corrosion, I can pull it out and install a new one.
I am not saying people who have welded pipe WILL experience these issues, but they were concerns I preferred to avoid.
Cheers,
Rob

Originally Posted by Andover Bill
My shop had concerns about welding ... Either quality or maybe thickness of metal. Can't recall. Mine were pinned. YRMV.
Old 01-23-2016, 02:18 AM
juanbenae
Instructor

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
At least I am not drunk.

that's a you problem. had you said "at least I am not A drunk",, that could be a me problem...

jb
Old 01-23-2016, 02:37 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 365 Posts

I believe it is a national PCA rule that all 7GT3s and 6gt3s and turbos be pinned, welded or water wetter. I could be wrong but I know that is the rule for my region, and it has been like that for about 2 years now. Regarding cup cars, I believe most of the races require water wetter in the rules.
I ran water wetter last season and switched back to antifreeze in the fall.
Old 01-23-2016, 10:05 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

+1, and regarding Cup cars it does make sense for them to run water +WW
So far on the Cup thread, 2 guys with engines at PMNA for rebuild, both having them re-glued as per PMNA..

Originally Posted by Turbodan
I believe it is a national PCA rule that all 7GT3s and 6gt3s and turbos be pinned, welded or water wetter. I could be wrong but I know that is the rule for my region, and it has been like that for about 2 years now. Regarding cup cars, I believe most of the races require water wetter in the rules.
I ran water wetter last season and switched back to antifreeze in the fall.
Old 01-23-2016, 11:26 AM
levinsje
Intermediate

There is no such rule for PCA DE's in the Carolinas or at VIR.
However I still have my 996T coolant lines pinned.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:49 PM
TeCKis300
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
Additional compound around each might help, surely not the same as pulling them as in the video. JB weld as in the video is great stuff.
I've heard this from other outside sources as well, though rarely discussed on these forums.

Specifically, for non-failed connections, to add a fillet of marine JB weld at the base of the pipe/casting interface much like one would do with a weld. This is instead of pinning.

Pinning, does not in itself prevent a failure. It just prevents a catastrophic failure. The original glue/seal can still fail from which point a pinning fitting will weep.

Theoretically, a fillet of JB weld will hold the pipe pretty darn well and add to the seal.

Anyone had experience doing it this way?
Old 01-25-2016, 01:47 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by TeCKis300
I've heard this from other outside sources as well, though rarely discussed on these forums.

Specifically, for non-failed connections, to add a fillet of marine JB weld at the base of the pipe/casting interface much like one would do with a weld. This is instead of pinning.

Pinning, does not in itself prevent a failure. It just prevents a catastrophic failure. The original glue/seal can still fail from which point a pinning fitting will weep.

Theoretically, a fillet of JB weld will hold the pipe pretty darn well and add to the seal.

Anyone had experience doing it this way?
I'd think if you cleaned up the metal first this would help prevent pipes leaking. Maybe someones done it to stop a leak already?
I'm pinning mine while the engine is out and figure if it ever starts leaking that I'll weld it. Under 20k on my engine and don't feel it's necessary, just want to prevent a big dump at the track. they may hold for a long time and I'd just be throwing more $ at it now versus another time when the water pump and othe raccessories are off.

Quick Reply: For anyone with pinned coolant lines.