Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

996 Turbo - Actual Auction Price List - Past 2 years - Mecum, Barrett, etc...

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 03:53 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts

I've said it before and I'll say it again, higher prices are not all they're cracked up to be....unless you're selling.

I could care less about internet bragging rights. That's what it seems to be regardless of model or manufacturer. The truth of higher prices is I've had to raise my agreed policy amounts twice in the last 5 years for both my air cooled cars. This for the pleasure of owning the same two cars, with the same options, with the same horsepower. When I walk out to my garage the cars look exactly the same but I pay about $800 more each year.

I'm just tempering my enthusiasm; not trying to be a downer.
Old 03-14-2017, 04:06 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by autobonrun
I've said it before and I'll say it again, higher prices are not all they're cracked up to be....unless you're selling.

I could care less about internet bragging rights. That's what it seems to be regardless of model or manufacturer. The truth of higher prices is I've had to raise my agreed policy amounts twice in the last 5 years for both my air cooled cars. This for the pleasure of owning the same two cars, with the same options, with the same horsepower. When I walk out to my garage the cars look exactly the same but I pay about $800 more each year.

Interesting to hear this perspective from an enthusiast air-cooled owner. Thanks for sharing.

I've had a similar thought -- while I'm naturally rooting for values to go up, I'd also rather not feel "guilty" about putting miles on the car.

Kudos to anyone who drives them like they are meant to be driven.
Old 03-14-2017, 04:35 PM
AZPcarfan
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In addition to the Mezger engine aspect, I think that part of the valuation rise is that so many 996TT's were passed around while the prices were low. Try to find one that has had less than 4-5 owners; it is a challenge. For someone looking to buy, it is hard to feel good about buying what could be an expensive mess; it is a stretch to feel comfortable about so many previous owners. I would find it hard to believe that at least one of them had not driven the crap out of the car while under maintaining it..

So, that said, if you were considering selling an '05 TT Cab, non S, 2 owners, 18K miles, manual, arctic silver/grey/grey, what would you list it for? According to PCNA it is one of ~72 '05' TT cabs that are not an S. Foolish to sell now?

Last edited by AZPcarfan; 03-14-2017 at 05:10 PM.
Old 03-14-2017, 04:47 PM
gophaster
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That's a good question. Perhaps the best bet might be getting it into one of the large Porsche centric auctions. They seem to be doing quite well this year at auction.

I bought mine about 3 years ago and yes, finding a 1-2 owner car was not that easy at all.

Originally Posted by AZPcarfan
In addition to the Mezger engine aspect, I think that part of the valuation rise is that so many of 996TT's were passed around while the prices were low. Try to find one that has had less than 4-5 owners; it is a challenge. For someone looking to buy, it is hard to feel good about buying what could be an expensive mess; it is a stretch to feel comfortable about so many previous owners. I would find it hard to believe that at least one of them had not driven the crap out of the car while under maintaining it..

So, that said, if you were considering selling an '05 TT Cab, non S, 2 owners, 18K miles, manual, arctic silver/grey/grey, what would you list it for? According to PCNA, it is one of ~72 '05's that were not an S. Foolish to sell now?
Old 03-14-2017, 07:00 PM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by gophaster
The Black 996 Turbo Cabrio at Amelia sold for $104,500 !!!! 6 digits.

Wow, I was hoping it would hit $90k.

I must be missing something here ^

This seems like a bargain

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-Porsche...BYxuyh&vxp=mtr
Old 03-14-2017, 08:27 PM
AZPcarfan
Track Day

My assumption is that what's missing is awareness of a recently changing market value. I think one could probably buy that car and make a nice chunk of change in a fairly short order. However, another of my opinions is that a Turbo S comes with the cost paranoia of PCCB's which is part of why we found a non-S car. PCCB's are an advantage on the track and for not much else. I would bet the farm that less than 5% of 996TT cabs ever see a track. However, $10K rotors scare the vast majority of potential buyers. HP difference? Throw APR/Cobb/GIAC $1K and you will have more than an S. I realize there are hardware differences but if you care about HP, your issue is solved.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:27 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,459 Likes on 1,555 Posts

Every car I own, and pretty much everything else I own, are for sale at the right price. Rising prices are always welcome.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:40 PM
AZPcarfan
Track Day

Not trying to be sarcastic, but I doubt you were required to raise your coverage. If you truly don't care about the increased value then don't pay for higher value coverage. You wanted market value coverage so you are paying for a higher service level that you requested. I'm guessing the insurance company didn't call you..
Old 03-15-2017, 01:58 AM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts

Not trying to be sarcastic, but I doubt you were required to raise your coverage. If you truly don't care about the increased value then don't pay for higher value coverage. You wanted market value coverage so you are paying for a higher service level that you requested. I'm guessing the insurance company didn't call you..
Almost everything you said is correct. I never said I truly didn't care in my post. I said it's not all it's cracked up to be. You're also correct my insurance company didn't call, they sent me an email suggesting I increase my agreed values. But I get the point you're making. It was my choice to match my insurance to market value.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:16 PM
Berra
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

My assumption is that what's missing is awareness of a recently changing market value. I think one could probably buy that car and make a nice chunk of change in a fairly short order. However, another of my opinions is that a Turbo S comes with the cost paranoia of PCCB's which is part of why we found a non-S car. PCCB's are an advantage on the track and for not much else. I would bet the farm that less than 5% of 996TT cabs ever see a track. However, $10K rotors scare the vast majority of potential buyers. HP difference? Throw APR/Cobb/GIAC $1K and you will have more than an S. I realize there are hardware differences but if you care about HP, your issue is solved.
PCCB's are far better in terms of many things, not track only. No brake dust, brake service with a MUCH longer interval than steel etc. I have them and will never swap for steel. That said, Porsche brakes are the best no matter which ones you have.

There is no need to buy new rotors, they can be refurbished. Costly too, but WAY less than new ones, not even close.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:32 PM
AZPcarfan
Track Day

Originally Posted by Berra
PCCB's are far better in terms of many things, not track only. No brake dust, brake service with a MUCH longer interval than steel etc. I have them and will never swap for steel. That said, Porsche brakes are the best no matter which ones you have.

There is no need to buy new rotors, they can be refurbished. Costly too, but WAY less than new ones, not even close.
One has to acknowledge that there is only so much value in a longer service interval on something that already has a pretty long one. I have never heard of PCCB rotors being refurbed; I am wondering if that is something that is not allowed here in the lawsuit happy U.S.A..

Suncoast sells just the front PCCB rotors for $11.5K so my cost phobia theory lives on imho..

Let's get back to prognosticating 996TT values!
Old 03-15-2017, 11:45 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes they can be refurbished.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:18 AM
AZPcarfan
Track Day

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Yes they can be refurbished.
2 guys in this thread who are from KC; I lived there for ~17 years.. Weird; not exactly a Porsche mecca..
Old 03-19-2017, 11:10 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,459 Likes on 1,555 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
So the fellow who bought the White 2002 Turbo is flipping it? Interesting.

Here is the listing. Is anyone here going?

This fellow did well flipping this car. The auction sale was posted on Facebook but without a price so I ask in the comments and received this reply:

Bought it two months ago for $53,500 plus buyer's premium. Sold it yesterday for $70,000 plus premium.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:28 AM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Actually, the PCCB's are much better for street driven cars. As someone else mentioned, the lack of brake dust is one huge reason. But also, with street use, they will last a VERY long time. They are NOT good for Track driven cars, not the 1st Gen PCCB's that are adorned by the 996TT's. They were known to crack and suffer prematurely when driven on track. Infact, even buyers of current gen cars who do a lot of tracking, opt for the non-ceramic brakes. Yes, Ceramics are lighter and perform better. However, they're cost and premature wear (when used on track) are huge deterrents for ordering PCCB's. Yes professional teams use them. But that's because they're more about performance at all costs and replace the brakes pretty much every single race anyway. But to say PCCB's on a 996TT are more track oriented is a misnomer and incorrect. Just throwing this out there because I wouldn't want someone who's new to the 996TT and considering the purchase of one and get incorrect info. The reason I say it is a misnomer, is because you're right, Porsche did actually first tout them as the better more trackable brakes. That was prior to the multitude of complaints they received once they started cracking and suffering from premature wear due to track use.

Quick Reply: 996 Turbo - Actual Auction Price List - Past 2 years - Mecum, Barrett, etc...