Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 911's

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2015 | 04:21 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Teslas are pure electric vehicles not hybrids.

Have any of the 918s burned down?
x'lnt point, which escaped me. however, aren't the batteries that'll be used in the hybrid porsche similarly constructed lithium ion type? if so, that would've been my point. that there still may be some question as to whether to not they might spontaneously combust or i should clarify, combust aafter being stuck! ( is closer to how they can and do..)

at least, that was ( IIRC? ) tesla's engineers concerns. although they reportedly have ( claimed ) to have ruled this out. the "spontaneous" aspect of it, i mean.

as to your point re 918's, "burning down"? not to my knowledge, but i'm not sure they've been around long enough. that said, i'm not suggesting that their type of hybrid configuration wouldn't stand the test of time and regular use. just wondering.

thoughts?
Old 11-27-2015 | 04:34 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Have any of the 918s burned down?
Uhh, actually. . .

Old 11-27-2015 | 05:01 PM
jeanmarcboilard
Pro

Originally Posted by kcattorney
Uhh, actually. . .

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/t...tion-1.2781633
There's the whole story about that one.
Old 11-27-2015 | 05:47 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
x'lnt point, which escaped me. however, aren't the batteries that'll be used in the hybrid porsche similarly constructed lithium ion type? if so, that would've been my point. that there still may be some question as to whether to not they might spontaneously combust or i should clarify, combust aafter being stuck! ( is closer to how they can and do..)

at least, that was ( IIRC? ) tesla's engineers concerns. although they reportedly have ( claimed ) to have ruled this out. the "spontaneous" aspect of it, i mean.

as to your point re 918's, "burning down"? not to my knowledge, but i'm not sure they've been around long enough. that said, i'm not suggesting that their type of hybrid configuration wouldn't stand the test of time and regular use. just wondering.

thoughts?
Tesla makes Teslas and Porsche builds 911 Turbos. The two companies have nothing in common. From what I have read the couple of Tesla burn downs were caused by a major short due to damage to the underside of the vehicle. Tesla issued a recall and installed a titanium protector plate to fix the fault.

Lithium ion batteries are used everywhere in everything. They do not just spontaneously combust. Lithium ion batteries have been used in all sorts of hybrid vehicles for years without burning down.

But you know what does burn down? 991 GT3s with improperly assembled gasoline engines. No batteries needed.

http://jalopnik.com/porsche-will-rep...-gt-1545737774

So in the end if the battery system is poorly made the car could burn, but cars also burn from poorly assembled common everyday internal combustion engines.

Last edited by Carlo_Carrera; 11-27-2015 at 06:12 PM.
Old 11-27-2015 | 05:50 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kcattorney
Uhh, actually. . .

Unfortunately that burn down was caused by gasoline coming in contact with the exhaust during refueling. Nothing electrical involved.
Old 11-27-2015 | 07:01 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Tesla makes Teslas and Porsche builds 911 Turbos. The two companies have nothing in common. From what I have read the couple of Tesla burn downs were caused by a major short due to damage to the underside of the vehicle. Tesla issued a recall and installed a titanium protector plate to fix the fault.

Lithium ion batteries are used everywhere in everything. .
as i understand it, that ( your assertion they have nothing in common..) is not so. what they have in common!.. is that they both use batteries for electric power, the type of which ( lithium ion ) has been known to catch fire upon impact! which is why tesla retrofitted the plates of which you spoke.

that is a "COMMONALITY'!
Old 11-27-2015 | 07:12 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

as i understand it, that ( your assertion they have nothing in common..) is not so. what they have in common!.. is that they both use batteries for electric power, the type of which ( lithium ion ) has been known to catch fire upon impact! which is why tesla retrofitted the plates of which you spoke.

that is a "COMMONALITY'!
So does a Porsche Turbo and JohnDeere tractor have something in "common"?

Do Porsche and Tesla use the same battery manufacture? No, Tesla makes their own. Does Tesla and Porsche both use the same battery wiring, charging and cooling systems? No, thus nothing really in common.

And Lithium ion batteries do not catch fire on impact. You can hit one with a hammer all day and nothing will happen. They catch fire when they are sort circuited. That is what happened in the Tesla burn downs. Undercarriage damage cause wires to be shorted.

The same thing has happen with batteries in normal internal combustion car. Sort circuiting causes battery/electrical fires.
Old 11-27-2015 | 09:06 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

So does a Porsche Turbo and JohnDeere tractor have something in "common"? .
that's an outrageous and specious analogy that does nothing to support your ( now ) argument. whatever in the world would that have to do with the ( now?! ) debate about a type of battery and its potential for catching fire ON IMPACT! notice it wasn't me that made mention of a 918 that caught fire because gasoline hit its hot tailpipe in an effort to support some notion that a 918 was prone to, or had shown a propensity for, catching fire. I'm not of that particular belief. ( WHY.. do i bother lol )

Do Porsche and Tesla use the same battery manufacture? No, Tesla makes their own. Does Tesla and Porsche both use the same battery wiring, charging and cooling systems? No, thus nothing really in common.
though now you're becoming *seemingly* more astute at offering up analogies that are at least on a certain level, apt. but i wont count upon you for any consistency in this, in fact i'll call it a fluke.

i'll say it again, in case you missed it, though i think you're just wriggling out of the reality that a very real "commonality" irrespective of who MAKES the lithium ion batteries in question, exists. clearly in an attempt to argue against the notion that:

their commonality is and WOULD BE that THEY BOTH ( tesla and any hybrid porsche ) USE BATTERIES. that conclusion is based upon a simple fact, and the recognition of this fact of commonality is a result of an ability to think critically. all else are merely details, whether germane or not, they do NOTHING to undermine the assertion that any inherent danger that exists in one lithium ion battery, by it's very nature and definition, exists in the other!

this has far more to do with causal relationships, than it does batteries, themselves.

i could ( but won't bother ) continue to try to explain, but i can't help you understand it. i've been thru enough debates here with you before, and tire of their circular nature, so i'll drop it here.
Old 11-27-2015 | 09:31 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

notice it wasn't me that made mention of a 918 that caught fire because gasoline hit its hot tailpipe in an effort to support some notion that a 918 was prone to, or had shown a propensity for, catching fire. I'm not of that particular belief. ( WHY.. do i bother).
Hey, I just jumped into the fray to throw a sucker punch when you guys weren't looking. Remember how I got labelled a provocateur early on for stuff like that?
Now carry on!
Old 11-27-2015 | 09:41 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Tesla makes Teslas and Porsche builds 911 Turbos. The two companies have nothing in common.
Here's another red herring to chew on: Didn't Professor Porsche beat Tesla to the punch by over 100 years WRT an all-electric car?

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...n-electric-car
Old 11-27-2015 | 09:51 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Porsche use to make tractors by the way...LOL!
Old 11-27-2015 | 10:43 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by doubleurx

Old 11-27-2015 | 11:10 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Don't feed the trolls, let them stay in cartoon land.
Old 11-27-2015 | 11:25 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by doubleurx
That was part of the joke.
Old 11-27-2015 | 11:31 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rmc1148
Don't feed the trolls, let them stay in cartoon land.
Seriously rmc? Life's too short. Happy freaking Thanksgiving.

Quick Reply: New 911's